The UFC needs to implement their own recreational drug policy

Char Jawz

InvisiBelt
@red
Reaction score
After all the controversy surrounding out-of-competition testing compared to in-competition testing and the penalties involved, the UFC should come up with a fair system that works for all fighters concerning recreational drugs. Even if it's out of competition, there has to be some kind of deterrent to keep things equal among the fighters.

I think it's a huge step in the right direction of fixing the mistrust from fans and confusion these ridiculous test standards are causing.

I'm pretty sure the NFL, NBA, NHL and other major sports don't depend on WADA to make their decisions concerning substance abuse. There is no law stating the UFC has to follow WADA or anyone else's guidelines to make policies for employees of their company.

Thoughts?

How about exactly like it is now. Out-of-competition, go for your life. In-competition, be clean.

No fighter has been fined/punished for out-of-competition use. Punishments only happen in-competition. They don't even test for recreational drugs out-of-competition (Jones should never have been tested for cocaine to begin with).

The UFC isn't a 'seasonal' sport. So there isn't really a period where you can't be tested. Especially if you're going from one fight to the next ie. 4 fights per year, which seems to be an ideal number.

How about exactly like it is now. Out-of-competition, go for your life. In-competition, be clean.

I'm talking about UFC damage control, really. Their image is at an all time low, they need actions.

*edit* "all time low" is a little hyperbolic, I know.

I'm talking about UFC damage control, really. Their image is at an all time low, they need actions.

*edit* "all time low" is a little hyperbolic, I know.

Taking the 'liberal supportive' approach is probably the best way to go ie. we support our fighters blah blah blah they're going to rehab blah blah blah what's important is their health.

Nobody cares if Clay Guida or Rory Macdonald does cocaine in their spare time, they just care if they beat someone up at a nightclub (or in the case of Guida lay on someone for 20 minutes).

Who the fuck cares if fighters take coke and weed. Jones wasn't taking meth it was just coke who cares.
I'm more itnerested in the T/E ratio thing. What really needs to be done is CIR testing

Can somebody tell me if the UG'ers are acting like a bunch a trans-biracial-feminist's like a lot of Sherdogger's have been in the last few days?

Who the fuck cares if fighters take coke and weed. Jones wasn't taking meth it was just coke who cares.
I'm more itnerested in the T/E ratio thing. What really needs to be done is CIR testing

I don't care if the fighters use recreational drugs either. The UFC at least needs to make it appear they're doing something though. It would do wonders for their P.R, even if they decide everyone only gets a slap on the wrist and a hug if they get popped out of competition. At least it's fair to all the fighters, no matter the status within the company. People see the UFC playing favorites, even if MMA fans disagree.

Can somebody tell me if the UG'ers are acting like a bunch a trans-biracial-feminist's like a lot of Sherdogger's have been in the last few days?

Says the guy acting like those he calls out.

I'm just wondering. Are we allowed to still have a grown up conversation on Sherdog, ever?

I'm just wondering. Are we allowed to still have a grown up conversation on Sherdog, ever?

Not really a grown discussion when you want justice for a non-issue. These guys are adults, the UFC will run their business the best way possible, you are not their mother, so stop whining.

Who cares? Sherdog is for special snowflakes.

Budweiser is sponsor and from weed you get punished. Its stupid. Same with coke, nothing wrong with doing it at some party from time to time.

Coke is worse than meth.

2000px-Development_of_a_rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_of_potential_misuse_(physical_harm_and_dependence,_NA_free_means).svg.png

The UFC doesn't have to do shit. You're gonna complain no matter what. You could trip on a banana peel and you'd hurry and jump on the Internet to blame Dana. Just stfu and watch the fights.

So the ufc shouldn't follow the WORLD anti doping association?
Gotcha

Man this system does need to be fixed... But this should be a moot point...They already have a code of conduct policy... they should have had the nads to delay the fight/ or even penalize JBJ...

As for implementing testing themselves...They already screwed up the the Cung Le drug situation... so there goes that... They could ask the NAC to always implement out of competition testing for all banned substances (or at least for the hardcore substances like cocaine)....but the problem is that.....they have stretched themselves so thin....With the amount of shows they have to put on each year. So, They Simply don't have the will to implement a program that could cost them millions, in terms of testing/lost revenue. Uncle Dana, is just a typical promoter....All he cares about is the bottom line/ profit over ethics.

Back