The UFC is dying, MMA is not.

Bubba2086**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most people can see through the bullshit now, the fake hyping up in every event with Rogan and Dana calling just about everyone "World Class" and "Explosive" when it's obviously not true. Chael vs Jones was one of the biggest mistakes they could have ever done, how could you honestly take the UFC seriously after that? To me, that was a huge spit in the face after watching it for years. It's all about money for them now and it couldn't be more obvious.

We have all had friends that were really into UFC and where are they now? How am I supposed to watch the next PPV if I now don't have any more friends watching? Do I need to pay $65 just to watch it alone? Or do I need to go to a bar by myself just to watch it? I don't even drink, so screw the bar. This is a major issue right now and I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation.

UFC is a fad, MMA is not. The Lorenzo's and Dana are milking it up for all it's worth and will sell it in the not so distant future. It couldn't be more obvious.

I'm not saying Bellator will take over or anything like that but MMA is a sport now, so yes it will stick around wether it's amateur or pro leagues. Even more proof of that is your local gym where now everyone is learning MMA and not Karate.

Edit: I love how almost everyone got so upset with the "UFC is dying" comment and completely avoided the rest of my post about the prices and fake hype B.S. Typical Sherdog Bro's

Last edited:
you strike me as a "glass is half empty" guy.

It's obvious why your friends stopped watching the UFC with you. Oh so obvious. But yeah, keep telling yourself it's the UFC's fault because it's "dying".

The UFC still is MMA in the public consciousness.

My interest in the UFC about 10-5 years ago was seriously at about 9/10

now I can honestly say its 2-3/10

I still love the fights. I even like to come on here and debate with you good folks often. Mostly boredom at work but hey. Anyway, I think for me it really does come down to over saturation with the UFC. I will not call the UFC cards watered down, but with the cards so many so often I find my lack of enthusiasm dwindled.

Last card I got hyped for, like seriously Hyped for was Franklin vs Chuck. For me that was the day my excitement died. Call it my favorite fighters retiring, call it Dana's bullshit attitude, Call it the pissing matches, call it the fact that there are too many cards for my liking.

Less cards generated more excitement for me by the time the actual card came around. Now, I dont feel that hype. Maybe I really am getting that old.

I'm sure that eventually we will see the power share move away from the UFC, at least in part.

The really important part is who has the best fighters, right? As long as you have at least a few of the best in the world, you can attract viewers, you can keep the internet MMA community (AKA, MMA fandom) talking about you, and you can make money as a promotion.

And it is clear that other promotions are attracting bigger and better names as the UFC grows and continues gearing their product more toward a casual market. So, to some degree, you are certainly correct.

WSOF, OneFC, and Bellator are no longer feeder leagues, at least not in every weight class. And yes, as they start growing their own talent, which Bellator is already doing quite well, WSOF recently started, and OneFC has a ton of potential to do, they will begin carving roles for themselves in popular discussion about MMA.

So yeah, unless Zuffa buys these all out, the UFC's monopolistic hold on MMA is going to weaken.

People will still defend the UFC as much as they can. But it just can't be denied. They are putting on months of weak cards and occasionally throwing in a good one.

For the UFC to make money, what matters is the fights on PAPER. Not the fights themselves.

The fights on paper are what make people buy tickets and PPV's. It doesn't matter if a fight is exciting if nobody is watching it.

They've just saturated the market to a point that no one cares anymore. I don't think it's dying, it's just a business decision. But one that I think will hurt in the long run.

It's obvious why your friends stopped watching the UFC with you. Oh so obvious. But yeah, keep telling yourself it's the UFC's fault because it's "dying".

Is this is how have so many post? By just trolling? You made no sense

So if the UFC making Chael vs Jones was a mistake and they can't be taken seriously then what do you call Shlemenko vs Tito?

There should really be a "UFC is dying" section on this forum.

I have been hearing this repeatedly for years.

Most casual viewers didn't have much of a problem with Sonnen/Jones since Chael becoming so popular. It's not like they probably even paid attention to his record. They just knew he talked a lot of shit about Silva and he almost beat him once. Don't try to mesh in your personal gripes and try to make it the general public's perception too lol.

My interest in the UFC about 10-5 years ago was seriously at about 9/10

now I can honestly say its 2-3/10

I still love the fights. I even like to come on here and debate with you good folks often. Mostly boredom at work but hey. Anyway, I think for me it really does come down to over saturation with the UFC. I will not call the UFC cards watered down, but with the cards so many so often I find my lack of enthusiasm dwindled.

Last card I got hyped for, like seriously Hyped for was Franklin vs Chuck. For me that was the day my excitement died. Call it my favorite fighters retiring, call it Dana's bullshit attitude, Call it the pissing matches, call it the fact that there are too many cards for my liking.

Less cards generated more excitement for me by the time the actual card came around. Now, I dont feel that hype. Maybe I really am getting that old.

I feel the same way. I use to love every fight, and made sure I had the day off or got off early to catch them. Now and days I barely care to even read the play by play. These cards have gotten so watered down it isn't even funny.

I remember in 2010-2011 I could freaking fill my house for ufc PPV's (I remember GSP vs koscheck 2, silva vs Belfort, lesnar vs carwin, and rampage vs evans all had turnouts of 20+ people).

I'm now freaking lucky to get 5 people over unfortunately :icon_sad:

So if the UFC making Chael vs Jones was a mistake and they can't be taken seriously then what do you call Shlemenko vs Tito?

That was a different time and there's a reason why that time period was called the "Dark Ages" of the sport. This is 2014 now.... There is no defending Chael vs Jones

There should really be a "UFC is dying" section on this forum.

I have been hearing this repeatedly for years.

Exactly. Some 13'er comes in here and 13's all over the place thinking he's made some original thread about how the UFC is dying, but MMA is not. Every other month for the past decade, I've read some newbs post with the same exact shit. But hey, a newb 13'er doesn't know what someone posted in '12 or 11' or '10... and so on, because the search function is too much work for them.

Back