The UFC didn't have the lineal heavyweight title between 1997-2011.

In Sweden trading illegal fedor fights was like trading heroin at that times.
After Fedor no one gives a shit. Some interest by Gus but Fedor was the thing up north Gus never made it that way.

Frank Shamrock never lost the lineal Light Heavyweight title

Lineal champion is a boxing idea and it is valid in the sense that boxing is boxing. UFC rules in 1997 and not the same as today. Vale Tudo is different then Pride Rules. It gets quite muddied when that is the case. It would be like the World Series champions losing a soft ball game and declaring the softball team world series champions. Similar but not the same sport.

Jorge Masvidal won the Bellator Lineal WW champion. It has now been unified with the UFC WW title and is held by Usman.
That didn't stop the UFC from unifying the UFC and Pride titles under UFC rules despite the Pride titles being fought under different rules, so by that rationale the lineal title as I've laid it out should be valid.

That didn't stop the UFC from unifying the UFC and Pride titles under UFC rules despite the Pride titles being fought under different rules, so by that rationale the lineal title as I've laid it out should be valid.

Fair enough. So what happens when a fighter retires as champion? the UFC Lineal WW & MW titles end with GSP? Then you just start over. Lineal Champion is like P4P its all interesting fodder for debate but you have to agree on what the parameters are. Lineal HW has to be fights at HW etc. Pride vs UFC was very different parameters. If a UFC champion loses in a BJJ tourney does that make the BJJ fighter lineal champion?
Or if an ADCC champion loses an MMA fight is the winner ADCC champion?

So what happens when a fighter retires as champion?
There's a difference between a fighter retiring as the lineal champion and a fighter competing in a different organization as the lineal champion (which is what Couture did).

the UFC Lineal WW & MW titles end with GSP?
GSP vacated them, he didn't fight in a different organization.

Pride vs UFC was very different parameters.
And yet the UFC still unified the two titles.

If a UFC champion loses in a BJJ tourney does that make the BJJ fighter lineal champion?
My rationale doesn't come close to that type of leap in logic.

It's an interesting thread of history for those who enjoy thinking. Apparently that precludes you.

Its mean nothing...why put that much energy to something that means nothing... Doesnt prove a dam thing either which way. ..

Plus if your gunna start with lineal you need start with the first champion in the UFC and move on from there

Its not different then goat or p4p talk...in its meaningfulness

Its mean nothing...why put that much energy to something that means nothing...
If it means nothing and is a waste of energy, why in the world are you posting in this thread then? It's like the people who say that they "don't care", but they still care enough to say as much.

Plus if your gunna start with lineal you need start with the first champion in the UFC and move on from there
I started with when the lineal title left the UFC, this thread isn't a discussion on the entire history of the lineal heavyweight title.

Its not different then goat or p4p talk...in its meaningfulness
I never engage in P4P discussions because there's no way to determine a logical answer, whereas lineal champions have very easy and defined parameters, so attempting to equate the two is hilarious.

Where do you start your HW lineage? Royce retiring after the second Ken fight makes it annoying to think about imo

No idea where your concept of 'lineal' title for the UFC came from, because you are talking about fights outside of UFC. Randy vacated the belt after the Smith win, so the UFC lineage stops there, obviously.

Who Randy went to lose against after, and who those opponents lost to, is completely irrelevant. It has nothing to do with 'UFC lineage'. You are acting like none of the title fights after Couture left the UFC meant nothing until the completely irrelevant fighter>fighter>fighter>Randy ended with a UFC champ beating the fighter.

What a weird thread dude.

I'm not sure why you keep fixating on "UFC lineage," because TS never brought up that term at all. The concept of a "lineal title" transcends any one organization.

Where do you start your HW lineage? Royce retiring after the second Ken fight makes it annoying to think about imo
Personally I think the lineal heavyweight title starts at UFC 12, which is when they first introduced the heavyweight weight class; prior to that it was openweight (which is what the King of Pancrase title was contested at).

Don’t watch boxing. What the fuck is a lineal title??
In combat sports where champions are decided by a challenge, the lineal championship of a weight class is a world championship title held initially by an undisputed champion and subsequently by a fighter who defeats the reigning champion in a match at that weight class.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineal_championship

Don’t watch boxing. What the fuck is a lineal title??
Lineal title doesn't care about organization sanctions, etc, but tracks who beat the guy who is/was the champion, and only that, unless someone retires as the lineal champion.

Personally I think the lineal heavyweight title starts at UFC 12, which is when they first introduced the heavyweight weight class; prior to that it was openweight (which is what the King of Pancrase title was contested at).

In combat sports where champions are decided by a challenge, the lineal championship of a weight class is a world championship title held initially by an undisputed champion and subsequently by a fighter who defeats the reigning champion in a match at that weight class.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineal_championship

ok cool. If you let Royce keep it for the 5 years it would have still got sucked into the same lineage anyways with: Royce --> Saku --> Igor --> Coleman --> Big Nog --> Fedor ... and so on, I think thats pretty neat

Who would have thought a harmless thread like this would be such a trigger for some people? Hard to wrap my head around what’s so upsetting about it.

Man, this makes me think the HW division is regressing. We used to have some real monsters.

Back