The UFC did not protect Conor from RDA...

Why face khabib, pettis, an in shape cowboy when you can face an unprepared 5-5 in his last ten fights, Nate Diaz.

Why face the #1 contender frankie edgar when you can face an out of shape, Chad Mendes

Hey, why not face a fucking Denis Siver and get a title shot after it?
Did he or did he not destroy Aldo who had already cleared out the division?

Did he or did he not destroy Aldo who had already cleared out the division?
Catching a guy who rushes out at the beginning of round 1 isn't the same as destroying. A more patient Aldo would have broken him.

Catching a guy who rushes out at the beginning of round 1 isn't the same as destroying. A more patient Aldo would have broken him.
Survey sayyyyys...

x1.jpg

Yeah, a guy who beat the current champ 2 years ago and has been inactive since really deserved the spot, especially after pulling out of something like 3 fights since then.

That's right, so chosing a guy so far out of shape he can't even make weight makes perfect sense

I think the fans harping on the whole conor being protected idea are mainly just people looking for something to criticize because they resent his hardcore fanboys and the ufcs' non-stop incessant hype machine.

Looking at it plainly, conor himself has given no impression that he's tried to avoid certain fighters or matchups.

He could've backed out and preserved his title shots in both cases where the defending champion backed out. And he didn't do that.

Contrast that with Jones refusing to fight sonnen or werdum backing out against Stipe.

Whether you like him or not, I think the idea that he's dodging certain opponents is silly and a bit of a reach. It's also a moot point, because if he keeps winning he's going to have to fight every single one of the guys people claim he's avoiding.

IF (and it's a big if) he actually faces and beats RDA/Frankie/Lawler in his next few fights, i'd hope people will give him credit without pointing at the next guy he's supposedly "dodging"

You misunderstand. The protecting is on the way to the title fights.

Who did he beat @LW to get his shot at RDA? Why did he fight out of shape Mendes instead of ready to fight Edgar?
Nice avatar.

How come it seems like no one is giving Werdum shit, for pulling out and ruining a card when they gave him a replacement? But Conor all of a sudden is scared of fighting people when he was ready to fight RDA, who is without a doubt the biggest challenge in the FW/LW division.

You Conor haters are really ridiculous. You should be kissing his feet for even fighting an opponent at 2 weight classes above their last fight. Who has ever done that? Who has fought someone two weight classes above on such short notice? No one.

The only somewhat questionable thing to me was the Khabib situation.

Not that I want to see Khabib wet-blanket him, but it kinda raised an eyebrow on the 'protecting' subject imo.
WTF are you talking about?? It's a late replacement fight. There isn't time to do any promoting. The LAST thing in the world they would do is bring in a guy that hasn't fought in years.

>Khabib didn't deserve the sport

Yeah a guy who is 22-0, dominated the current LW champ, and willing to make 155 on 10 days notice "didn't" deserve the spot...

#PROTECTED

The idea that he should've fought khabib at this stage is absolutely ridiculous. How would they sell that fight?

Khabib is a monster and a bad matchup for conor, but outside of hardcore MMA fans nobody knows who he is, and he hasn't fought in years. How would that make sense to headline a ppv card with no belt on the line?

And besides all of that, khabib is headlining on fox vs Ferguson, and the ufc can't Just cannibalize their network cards to save their own ppv show.

Khabib may have been willing and able, but marketability and prior commitments meant he was not an option. It's not that complicated to understand.

What the fuck does this has to do with what i've said

Just making sure that he legitimately wrecked the champion despite his path to get there (which included similarly ranked fighters as himself, including top 5 and 10).

So I guess it has everything to do with what you're saying. Stay salty my friend.

Last edited:
DC is an all round better fighter than AJ even though AJ's kickboxing is better. Eddie Alvarez beat Anthony Pettis because Eddie made it a battle of attrition and Eddie will always win in that kind of fight.
I agree with you but that is exactly my point...like eddie...if nate applies teh same strategy...you never know

Protected? Well hard to imagine that the guy who just KO'ed Aldo is in need of protection...

BUT!!! I think everyone saw what Chad was able to do with Conor on short notice... so I suspect that UFC is less likely to jeopardize a proven cash cow in a high-risk, low-reward fight by putting him in the ring with a dominant wrestler, versus another fighter who is going to stand and bang.

Let's face it, making the match with RDA was hardly protecting him.. Conor is going to face his share of wrestlers over the course of his career, that is just a given. And having him fight a guy of Nate's caliber @ 170, a division that Conor has never fought @ in the UFC and 25lb up from his current division, well that is many things but it is certainly not protection..

I agree with you but that is exactly my point...like eddie...if nate applies teh same strategy...you never know

I have Conor but I will not look too far past Nate, even with 10 days notice. Nate has fantastic boxing fundamentals a good judo base and is a master on the ground so wouldn't it be a mistake to sleep on him.

I have Conor but I will not look too far past Nate, even with 10 days notice. Nate has fantastic boxing fundamentals a good judo base and is a master on the ground so wouldn't it be a mistake to sleep on him.

Yup.. and like his brother Nick, Nate has exceptional cardio... while he might not get the benefit of a full training camp, Nate is never too far out of shape.

i am rooting for Nate coz I am a huge fan of both Diaz bros...Conor has more chance ofcourse but you cant sleep on Nate either...i think everyone is underestimating his ground game

Back