International "The U.S. has no national interest in the Middle East any more."

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but...

• No, but...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Look how ISIS was able to grab so much territory so quickly.

That would be government corruption and leadership's incompetent.

It still pisses me off that we wasted so much money and American lives to secure Mosul for the Iraqis, just to see their 30,000 Iraqi army troops plus 30,000 Iraqi police officers dropped their M-16s, shed their uniforms, and abandoned their armored Humvees at the first sight of the 1,500-man Hilux calvary approaching from the desert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Mosul

As long as we have dual citizens as part of American government and very powerful foreign lobbyists, we will have vital interests in the ME.

It still pisses me off that we wasted so much money and American lives to secure Mosul for the Iraqis, just to see their 30,000 Iraqi army troops plus 30,000 Iraqi police officers dropped their M-16s, shed their uniforms, and abandoned their armored Humvees at the first sight of the 1,500-man Hilux calvary approaching from the desert.

Lots of ghost soldiers in the Iraqi army. So their on paper troop numbers did not reflect reality.

That’s the most American question ever.

We just skip over the “do we have a rite”

the sunni generals were paid off by SA to make the military situation utter chaos.

now the Iraqi government knows to only use Shia

We will always have an interest in promoting global stability in all regions on Earth, it's our Earth and we need global trade just to maintain the status quo.

Even if we don't directly trade with them, we benefit by them being stable enough to trade with others. Stability in the region controls the price of oil internationally, for example. It also makes their trading partners wealthier for us to trade with for other goods and services. Bilateral trade dependency enforces peace.

Also, we broke it so we bought it.

Promoting global stability! Hahahahahah

The United States is the single largest problem causer in the entire world. But I agree with you, we will always have an interest in the ME.

The best thing for everyone is if we never went anywhere near that region ever again. Let them kill each other.

Lmao Iraqis make terrible soldiers. Holy shit.

This and when everyone is increasing wealth it makes war less likely.

This is one of the things people fail to realize about trade. There's an interesting fact that two nations with a McDonald's franchise on their soil have never gone to war with one another.

If not oil, security is a smart reason to keep intelligence assets active in the Middle East. Look how ISIS was able to grab so much territory so quickly. Can't allow that to happen again. Israel's safety would be in jeopardy as well if we completely withdrew.

ISIS was allowed to advance quickly because the EU and Obama supported them and even fought on their behalf with drone strikes.

There were a lot of decent Iraqi's who were slaughtered by ISIS for working with the U.S. military in Mosul. That's a real fucking tragedy that they were just left behind unprotected like that.

It's in US national interest to prevent China from securing big oil deals, but that's about it these days.

It's in US national interest to prevent China from securing big oil deals, but that's about it these days.
The first country to secure an oil deal after Saddam's fall and the US invasion was China. So if the US couldn't even stop China when the US had boots on the ground in Iraq, what difference does it make if the US takes a hands-off approach.

A national interest? No, they don't. But as we know, not all of America's interests are national.

Back