The TUF 20 fighters got contracts for ten UFC fights, says Randa Markos

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Randa Markos says she has a contract from the UFC for ten fights, and said, if she read the contract right, all of the TUF 20 fighters got such contracts. (She says this at the 20:55 time point in the podcast.)

The Markos interview is from the 13:45 time point to the 26 minute time point.

THE PARTING SHOT PODCAST

Do you think it's a bad thing or a good thing? I never understood how contract negotiations worked

I know they are trying to build a division... but I would not sign a 10 fight contract personally... even if there are incentives in the contract you may be better off with a 3 fight contract and winning and negotiating a much better deal.

Ooh... that's probably going to bite them in the ass.

The TUF contracts are notoriously low, and signing on for 10 fights, with such low paying contracts is a bad move... not that they had a choice.

And who knows, maybe they scale up with wins or allow for renegotiation later down the road.

It's the type of contract that a guy like Maynard signed.

If they lose two in lackluster fashion, they're gone.

A fixed-salary, exclusive, long-term contract that could be terminated any given time by only one party is never, ever a good thing for the other party.

A fixed-salary, exclusive, long-term contract that could be terminated any given time by only one party is never, ever a good thing for the other party.

ahh yeah that's what I thought, thanks!

I would be surprised if it was entirely fixed-salary. I think I've heard about UFC contracts that they give pay increases tied to UFC win record.

But I'm sure the UFC can cut you anytime they want.

In other words its is an "Employment agreement".

I would be surprised if it was entirely fixed-salary. I think I've heard about UFC contracts that they give pay increases tied to UFC win record.

The UFC pay scale is very much fixed. Unless you're one of the lucky few who came from Strikeforce or a charismatic crowd-pleaser who put serious butts in the seat, you start out at 8K/8K, then go up in small increments from there if you remains in the win collumn: 10K/10K, 12K/12K, 15K/15K...with very little room for re-negotiation until your contract is up. And if my estimate is right, each of our SW will get to fight once or twice each year.

The only good thing about this pitiful pay scale is that people are trying harder than ever for the nightly bonuses. The extra $50,000 that comes with FOTN/POTN is more than they would make in a year or two.

In other words its is an "Employment agreement".

Wrong. It's a Independent Contractor Agreement, with a paycheck for each given task.

You can't fire your office clerk without a valid reason, but you can certainly get rid of your plumber and hire a new one any time you want. And in this case, your plumber is not allowed to work on any other people's houses except your own for 10 years, while they're sitting next to their phone for most of their days waiting for you to call them up for 1 or 2 tasks each year.

so at an average of 2 fights a year if they are lucky, apart from herrig and van zant who get more cos folks think they look good, thats a 5year contract taking a good few up to the end of their careers....

Or maybe they could just demand more fights like Cerrone.

i wish it were that easy, the bantam weights got around 1.5 fights each last year, they cant all be injured! put money into invicta and make it the premier place for wmma, the supposed prestige of fighting in ufc will barely cover these fighters gym fees.

The one who may want to fight just about anybody, as long as she can just fight frequently, is Jo Jo Calderwood.

I heard it said that when Jo Jo fought Muay Thai she'd sometimes fight with very little time gap between fights, and that she liked that way of fighting a lot. I think she would take pretty much any fight if it was up to her. Whether her management will try to discourge that sort of thing as not being in her best interest as the best route to the championship is another story.

Recently, it came out that Felice Herrig said that she knows who she will fight next. Jo Jo tweeted, with respect to this statement by Felice: "unfortunately its not me, unless I'm the last to know and my prayers have been answered." Jo Jo is ranked #6 in the UFC, and Felice is only ranked #8, and yet for Jo Jo her prayers would have been answered to get that fight even though it is fighting someone of lower UFC rank than herself.

Do you think Felice vs Jo Jo could be on the main card? These two are absolute opposites and will both talk trash to one another in their own unique ways. I would buy a PPV for this fight alone but I'm a SW white knight.

Do you think Felice vs Jo Jo could be on the main card? These two are absolute opposites and will both talk trash to one another in their own unique ways. I would buy a PPV for this fight alone but I'm a SW white knight.

Speculation strongly favors that Felice will fight Paige VanZant. Perhaps the UFC wants to reward Paige for her recent Fight of the Night performance.

Or perhaps they just think that a Paige vs. Felice weigh-in is bound to attract attention!

and yet for Jo Jo her prayers would have been answered to get that fight even though it is fighting someone of lower UFC rank than herself.

I didnt watch much of the latest TUF but from what i have heard Felice is an asshole? So maybe she wants to fight her for that reason?

Also as far as the womans SW division goes, Felice is one of the bigger names?

Do you think it's a bad thing or a good thing? I never understood how contract negotiations worked

It sucks. If they win they have less leverage to negotiate for a new, better contract. If they lose they can still be cut.

On the other hand, merely being on TUF gives them much more eyes than they would have normally. Its a tradeoff.

When you've got genuine hotties like Randa, Jo Jo and Penne around, who the heck is watching man jaw, busted nose Felice for her looks?

Back