The Triangle Choke Part 1 by Sean Roberts

Sean-Roberts

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Sorry for the buzzing sound. The gym was freezing ass and i had to turn on the heater.

Last edited:
Solid stuff. Sean has a brutal triangle for sure.

I am sore as fuck because of your damn calf slicer video. We can't be friends now lol

Anyone with big legs ever have difficulty locking up the triangle at the proper angle? It seems like the very process of pulling my foot under my calf pulls my body back into line with the opponent.

Thanks, really liked the detail about using the platform to open the guy's elbow.

Anyone with big legs ever have difficulty locking up the triangle at the proper angle? It seems like the very process of pulling my foot under my calf pulls my body back into line with the opponent.

Yep, I have very thick and short legs (despite being tall ... ironically). It is not nearly as easy for us folks to simply rotate and lock a la Ryan Hall, because the arm has to be driven under the guy's neck before we can rotate. If the elbow is down, there will be no rotation. Too much resistance, while a guy with skinny legs can still rotate.

My advice is to really rip that arm over hard cranking the elbow, then foot on the hip and rotate. It is the elbow that really stops guys with thick legs from being able to create the angle. Defeat that elbow and you can rotate. If you are not fully rotated and the guy's arm is not fully over, then trying to lock the triangle will pull you back in line with him.

One thing I like about Sean's vid is he shows how to move the arm. A lot of guys who are great at triangles don't need to do this, because they have long flexible legs. But for most folks, you are going to need to move the arm.

Small guys need to do this too to get a good lock, and have the same triangle problem. The advantage bigger guys have is that we can at least muscle the arm over much more easily. Small guys just can't finish unless they get it lined up perfectly.

Hey, thanks very much. That makes sense. Not sure the triangle will ever be a go-to of mine, but it would be nice to be able to lock it in, at the very least.

I will definately implement your way of breaking the posture.

How about if the guy stacks you when you get the triangle?

Short story to share:

Yea, I suck and all that. Now that we have that out of the way;

My DZR school is getting ready to enter a BJJ tournament. We have a BJJ guy (purple)helping teach and stuff. I had about 6 months of previous BJJ training, but that was over 5 years ago. Another guy is a BJJ blue belt. Anyway, he and I were rolling.

I had him in my guard. He was trying to pass with both elbows in both thighs, I guess seeing which one would soften up first. When I had the opportunity, I loosened one up. Then I pulled his arm through. Then I threw on a triangle. I was excited. But, I forgot to pivot and angle myself. So, he stacked me. He stacked me really high and really hard.

It put a lot of pressure on my neck. So much, that it closed my airway. I heard a crack, and saw stars. I freaking freaked out. I flailed around thinking that my neck was broken. After about 15 seconds, I realized that everything was cool.

That's my story. Flame away.

How about if the guy stacks you when you get the triangle?

I like to underhook the near-side leg if the guy tries to stand and stack, which gives you the option of switching to the armbar, sweeping to triangle mount, or sweeping him to hist butt (from which you can armbar or re-adjust the triangle).

Go to 7:00 on this video for an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWCvz7BOa3s

Another video example here http://www.gorillafights.com/fightvideos/12676/counter-to-a-stacking-triangle-choke-sweep.html

Also, if you have really good timing you can sometimes just go straight for the armbar when the guy goes to stack, most are so worried about the choke they forget about their arm and if you pop your hips while in transition you will get an insta-tap.

Hope the helps, look forward to seeing Sean's next video on this.

Back