The Trenches, Episode 31 Poll: Will the new interim champs of UFC 236 vie for undisputed belts next?

Will the new interim champions from UFC 236 fight for the undisputed belts next?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

NOTE: We are implementing a new feature called LIVE THREADS. To enable them, click on your status bar (Your username on top of the screen) and go down to "Join User Groups". If you join in on the "Live Threads" usergroup, you will automatically be a part of this.

What it means is that you will no longer have to refresh the thread when viewing it, as new posts will be added automatically.

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Will the new interim champions from UFC 236 fight for the undisputed belts next? Dustin Poirier does, Israel Adesanya does, Both do, or Neither do.

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

The Trenches Episodes:
The Trenches, Episode 30: Fall From Grace
The Trenches, Episode 29: ONE of a Kind Show
The Trenches, Episode 28: Mexican Wrestling Cain
The Trenches, Episode 27: 3 Piece and Soda
The Trenches, Episode 26: Conor McGregor vs. The Phone
The Trenches, Episode 25: BJ Penn's Legacy
The Trenches, Episode 24: UFC 235
The Trenches, Episode 23: The Retirement of GSP
The Trenches, Episode 22: UFC vs. Bellator Doubleheader
The Trenches, Episode 21: Adesanya vs. Silva
The Trenches, Episode 20: The Licensing of Jon Jones
The Trenches, Episode 19: The NSAC Hearings
The Trenches, Episode 18: UFC Brooklyn
The Trenches, Episode 17: Welterweights and Title Shots
The Trenches, Episode 16: Looking Ahead in 2019
The Trenches, Episode 15: The UFC 232 Debacle
The Trenches, Episode 14: UFC returns to Milwaukee
The Trenches, Episode 13: The GOAT Featherweight
The Trenches, Episode 12: Greg Hardy and Rachael Ostovich
The Trenches, Episode 11: Anderson Silva vs. The Next Anderson Silva
The Trenches, Episode 10: Golden Boy MMA
The Trenches, Episode 9: What's next for Conor?
The Trenches, Episode 8: The death of the Flyweight division
The Trenches, Episode 7: Cormier defends against Lewis
The Trenches, Episode 6: The Trade
The Trenches, Episode 5: Eddie Leaves the UFC
The Trenches, Episode 4: UFC 229 Brawl
The Trenches, Episode 3: Leading up to UFC 229
The Trenches, Episode 2: The Rise of Gegard Mousasi
The Trenches, Episode 1: UFC 229 Presser

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

What do you make of the many parallels between Israel Adesanya's rise and Conor McGregor's rise from a story stand point?

Robert Whittaker (the undisputed champion) is sidelined due to illness which forces an interim bout between Israel and Kelvin. Jose Aldo (Undisputed champion) is sidelined due to injury and it forces interim bout between Conor and Mendes.

Both Conor McGregor and Israel were both coming off of weak wins in which they were both heavy favorites of. (Anderson Silva & Dennis Siver) and were now stepping up against guys who were shorter than them + had heavy hands and great wrestling.

Although both favored, majority of the hard core fans believed Kelvin and Chad would get the wins in the fights. Even after Israel and Conor won, many people still aren't sold on either guy being legit enough to beat the undisputed champ.

Also both Whittaker and Aldo were coming off VERY close fights. Whittaker was dropped several times in a war vs Romero & Aldo was cracked several times in his rematch with Mendes before facing Conor the next year.

Aside from their interim bouts, neither guy faced highly ranked opponents. Conor fought Poirier and Siver, Israel fought Tavares and Brunson. Neither had a really "tough" match up until it came title fight time.

Also:
Israel = Conor (the "hype train")
Kelvin = Chad (guy who will shut down hype train)
Whittaker = Aldo (humble champion who is dominant)
Frankie = Romero (the guy they are being "protected" from).

Is Israel Adesanya a ufc hype job or is he legit, and here to stay at the top of the sport?

Who will be dcs next fight?

Does Ant choose which pictures get put on the front page? Idk if those were picks, but whoever chose to feature Pettis and Dustin, props. Is this you @Ant Walker / do you gamble?

Last edited:
Does overeem walk away with a win this weekend?

Are you willing to debate the Shmoe one on one?

Do you guys believe the birth of "Muay Thai" Khalil Rountree has created a real contender for the Light Heavyweight strap?

How do you guys think Dana is going to sell the fans on the idea of Conor or Tony getting the next shot at the Lightweight Tille over Dustin Porier?

Should Robert Whittaker take a fight between the extended break that Israel is deservingly going to take after his very active year of 5 fights?

Brock Lesnar has not officially won an MMA fight in nearly 9 years. Do you guys support the UFC giving him a Heavyweight title shot against Daniel Cormier?

If Henry Cejudo wins the Bantamweight title against Marlon Moraes, do you guys think that will be the final nail in the coffin for the Flyweight division?

Now that Tony Ferguson claims to be cleared to fight, who do you realistically see as his next opponent? Is he deserving of a fight with Khabib straight away?

Was the move of UFC Fight Night Fort Lauderdale from ESPN to ESPN+ a direct result of the weakened main card?

How funny was it to see Usman celebrating next to Ali all pissed off over Kelvin Gastelum's loss?

Last edited:
The issue at the top of my list is: What's up with DC? Who and when is he fighting next?

The issue at the top of my list is: What's up with DC? Who and when is he fighting next?
Recovering from his back injury that happened right before the Lewis fight. Probably fighting Brock this summer.

Do you guys believe the birth of "Muay Thai" Khalil Rountree has created a real contender for the Light Heavyweight strap?
I look forward to anything they have to say about Lumpinee Stadium Champion Khalil Rountree as well.

Which fight at 236 did you prefer as a fan, and why?

Which fight at 236 did you prefer technically, and why?

Hi Ant. Watching Khalil Rountree Jr. dominate Eryk Anders utilizing Muay Thai at UFC 236 got me thinking. What other fighters have you seen dramatically transform themselves?

Ant please break down,
1. how much money comes in (Gates + Sponsorship + PPV)
2. Where the money goes from that
3. How much % are fighters getting from that?

I look forward to anything they have to say about Lumpinee Stadium Champion Khalil Rountree as well.

I still prefeer to call him Bangkok Ready Rountree.

* With so many damn contenders at LW, who do you think is Khabib's biggest threat in the division?

* Which fight evoked the most bloodlust out of you guys, Poirier vs Hollaway or Kelvin vs Occupied Palestine?

* With all the new segments introduced in the ESPN era, the UFC ring girls have steadily fallen out of camera-view. Do you think the UFC is planning on removing them completely and what are your personal thoughts on the role of these Octagon vixens in the modern age? PS: if you set me up with a date with Crissy Blair, I will give you guys my entire bank-account.

* The UFC is heading beyond the iron curtain mere weeks after Russian competitor Ruslan Magomedov faced a lifetime ban from USADA. Statistic shows that Russian fighters are already far and away the most caught combatants by USADA, with almost 1-in-5 having drunk the wrong Kool-aid. Do you think this trend will ever result in any major incidences or events for the UFC? I mean, we live in a world where Icarus was a thing.

Hi Ant. Watching Khalil Rountree Jr. dominate Eryk Anders utilizing Muay Thai at UFC 236 got me thinking. What other fighters have you seen dramatically transform themselves?

Personally, if Khalil could so speedily transform himself into a competent Nak Muay with only one training camp, I wonder what the hell his usual camp was teaching him before then.

Last edited:
Back