The Trenches, Episode 17 Poll: Who deserves the next title shot at welterweight in the UFC?

Who deserves the next welterweight title shot in the UFC?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing Thursday at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
Should Conor be given a top 5 guy/immediate rematch immediately or should he be built back up slowly?

I think he should be built up, let him go on a tear like at FW

How close are other organizations like Bellator and ONE to the UFCs talent level?

Do you think the UFC will still be the "Big Leagues" of MMA in 1-5 years?

Sherdog Main Page writer Ant Walker wants your questions for his weekly column titled 'Ask Ant,' where he will gladly answer any and all combat sports questions you may have.

We also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with this week's poll question asking the following:

Chime in on the conversation by voting in our poll or posting any fight questions you have.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches Episodes:

Ask Ant Articles:

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.
Only the Champ Champ deserves a shot.
giphy.gif

Do you see Max Holloway holding his ground and staying at 145 or bending for Dana by moving to 155?
Who would make the most sense for his defense at 145? What fights make sense for him at 155?

What kind of Cain are you expecting to see in his return? How will his style change or stay the same based on his recent trail of injuries?

Last edited:
Title updated to reflect this week's poll. Feel free to chime in on that situation, there's going to be plenty to talk about tomorrow on The Trenches.

Do you expect Colby Covington to embrace a communist persona now that he has been screwed-over by free-market capitalism?

What will the fallout be of this title-switcheroo for Comrade Covington?

Lol (knee slap) Nick Di.....(what in the holy fuckwad- lmao)... Nick Diaz ????? (again ,knee slap lol- now there's actually salt dripping from my eyes)

How pumped are you for the start of a new era... ESPN , ESPN+? TJ - Cejudo (+) and Velasquez - Ngannou (main) to kickoff 2019... Golden here unless they start sticking it on that ESPN News or Classics that nobody gets...

Do you expect Colby Covington to embrace a communist persona now that he has been screwed-over by free-market capitalism?

What will the fallout be of this title-switcheroo for Comrade Covington?

I’ll take back everything bad I’ve ever said about him and become his biggest fan if he does that. Oh man, someone message him. That’s seriously gold. I would never stop laughing.

I voted Nick Diaz because fuck MAGA Colby even though he probably does deserve the next shot. GSP obviously could come get a title shot anytime and no one would complain. Usman is a legit contender too and it’s fine if he’s getting the shot.

So Nick Diaz is the obvious choice.

Colby since he was the interim title holder, but I have no problem with Usman getting the shot since he was next on deck. Not nearly as bad as Till getting a shot off of missing weight.

Oh wow, they made Colby vs Till in London, how about that.

I know Colby was promised a title shot but voted for Kamaru because he has been more impressive against common opponents. Colby SHOULD get it but Kamaru DESERVES it more. That's how I see it

I know Colby was promised a title shot but voted for Kamaru because he has been more impressive against common opponents. Colby SHOULD get it but Kamaru DESERVES it more. That's how I see it
It's a tough call. We used to think an interim title was the new version of "title eliminator" but it's obviously not anymore, seeing how Covington and Ferguson didn't get shots.

I do not care, but i guess colby does and id rather him get it cuz im tired of hearing him piss n moan.

Colby Covington refused to fight Woodley late last year and went on vacation - it's perfectly acceptable that Usman fights Woodley first because of that.

Bj Penn should move up for another title run

Back