The Trenches, Episode 23 Poll: Which fight with GSP do you wish had happened the most?

Which fight with GSP do you wish had happened the most?

• Total voters
As a huge Anderson fan .... I would’ve loved to have have seen GSP vs Anderson

The Anderson fight from 6 years ago would have been the best fight that could be made.

Present day, I'd most like to watch him fight Funky Ben Askren

Anderson and it's not even close.

I suspect people voting Khabib are 'newer' fans

anderson fight would have made sense back in the pre-usada era. now look at anderson. the steroids are wearing off, he's getting too old, and he's struggling to win against lower level guys. now look at the opponents he's signing off to fight. at this point in time do you really think that silva fighting gsp would end up resulting in anything other than silva being wrestlefucked to death? gsp would bring it to him.

gsp made it clear that he only wants legacy fights from this point on. fighting a fully deflated anderson would add nothing to that and make no sense at all. it would just be for nostalgia purposes

once upon a time that would have been the fight to make, but that time has come and gone. gsp has a legacy to protect, whereas anderson has spent the last 6 or 7 years embarassing himself and tarnishing his legacy and legitimacy as a fighter. gsp has nothing to prove by taking the fight, and nothing to gain from it either. sure he'd be able to say he was able to defeat anderson silva, but that wouldnt be much of noteable accomplishment when everybody else has been doing it these days, and in the post usada era the only time he's fought clean and won was when he barely scraped a questionable decision win over brunson. i mean come on. is this the best retirement party you can offer georges?

i would vote for any other top 10 fighter over anderson. anderson has not earned the right to fight georges after all of his recent history inside and outside of the octagon. khabib is a solid choice right now. he's also got 25 fights under his belt and has also won the belt and defeated every single opponent he has ever faced. i dont know of any other fighter whos been able to pull that off, other than GSP himself. this would be one hell of a fight if georges is still in good shape to go. would be alot more entertaining to watch than seeing him feed jabs and smother anderson silva to death when anderson is well past his prime

in all honesty silva should probably hang them up. or at the very least fight bj penn just for the nostalgia or whatever. bj penn doesnt seem to know when to fold em either so that would be a much more meaningful fight to make. you look at the level of competition anderson wants to take lately, and you look at the level of guys that gsp will only consider fighting, and thats a huge gap right there.

anderson silva isnt going to retire if he cant get a fight with straight killers like khabib. and gsp isnt going to take fights against guys like cannonier, brunson, adesanya, etc. because it would add nothing to his legacy and he feels he's still above taking fights with lower level fighters just to try to prove anything.

its pretty obvious how the fight would play out, and i just dont care to see it. gsp is still hungry. anderson is just hanging around for the sake of fighting. the only reason gsp would even consider taking this fight would be if he's looking to take the easy road to retirement and make a lot of money and go out with what should be a fairly easy win, rather to face any of the dozen or so top level guys who would also want to fight him. theres nothing more to it than that.

Last edited:
anderson fight would have made sense back in the pre-usada era. now look at anderson. the steroids are wearing off, he's getting too old, and he's struggling to win against lower level guys. now look at the opponents he's signing off to fight. at this point in time do you really think that silva fighting gsp would end up resulting in anything other than silva being wrestlefucked to death? gsp would bring it to him.

gsp made it clear that he only wants legacy fights from this point on. fighting a fully deflated anderson would add nothing to that and make no sense at all. it would just be for nostalgia purposes

once upon a time that would have been the fight to make, but that time has come and gone. gsp has a legacy to protect, whereas anderson has spent the last 6 or 7 years embarassing himself and tarnishing his legacy and legitimacy as a fighter. gsp has nothing to prove by taking the fight, and nothing to gain from it either. sure he'd be able to say he was able to defeat anderson silva, but that wouldnt be much of noteable accomplishment when everybody else has been doing it these days, and in the post usada era the only time he's fought clean and won was when he barely scraped a questionable decision win over brunson. i mean come on. is this the best retirement party you can offer georges?

i would vote for any other top 10 fighter over anderson. anderson has not earned the right to fight georges after all of his recent history inside and outside of the octagon. khabib is a solid choice right now. he's also got 25 fights under his belt and has also won the belt and defeated every single opponent he has ever faced. i dont know of any other fighter whos been able to pull that off, other than GSP himself. this would be one hell of a fight if georges is still in good shape to go. would be alot more entertaining to watch than seeing him feed jabs and smother anderson silva to death when anderson is well past his prime

in all honesty silva should probably hang them up. or at the very least fight bj penn just for the nostalgia or whatever. bj penn doesnt seem to know when to fold em either so that would be a much more meaningful fight to make. you look at the level of competition anderson wants to take lately, and you look at the level of guys that gsp will only consider fighting, and thats a huge gap right there.

anderson silva isnt going to retire if he cant get a fight with straight killers like khabib. and gsp isnt going to take fights against guys like cannonier, brunson, adesanya, etc. because it would add nothing to his legacy and he feels he's still above taking fights with lower level fighters just to try to prove anything.

its pretty obvious how the fight would play out, and i just dont care to see it. gsp is still hungry. anderson is just hanging around for the sake of fighting. the only reason gsp would even consider taking this fight would be if he's looking to take the easy road to retirement and make a lot of money and go out with what should be a fairly easy win, rather to face any of the dozen or so top level guys who would also want to fight him. theres nothing more to it than that.
The Trenches Poll: Which fight with GSP do you wish had happened the most?

Question isn't asking for present day

Anderson Silva. I really see no way GSP could win this fight, but they were both so dominant back then, that it was the best fight to make.

I would also like to see GSP vs Khabib. I believe GSP would beat him decisively.

I don’t care about GSP vs Tyron or Whittaker. At the moment I think he loses to both, but in his prime he beats both.

Anderson Silva.

Not sure why so many people want him to fight the much smaller Khabib.....

Silva

He fights at 185 then wants to fight at 155....lol.

He fought at 170 his whole career.

<LikeReally5><YeahOKJen>

If you have questions for Ant and Jason on the broadcast tonight about GSP and his career, or anything else related to combat sports, please post them in this thread.

So the live threads will work basically like chat rooms in the mid 90's?

Cool.
That's how they've been working. Auto updating instead of having to hammer the F5 button. Must save Wadtucket a lot of grief, or maybe it causes more, I dunno how it impacts the like feature.

I voted Tyron. GSP is my all time favorite and he should have went right in on that fight. It would have been much better honestly for his legacy TBH over beating Bisping or fighting anyone else.

I would assume most people mistakenly understand the poll to mean "which fight with gSP would you wish had happened RIGHT NOW".

Because the Anderson fight should have >95% of the votes. A LHW with 1 legit title win or an MW on the longest title streak ever? The Silva fight was soooo much bigger during that time than the Khabib fight would be now.

How does the UFC championship clause affect champions with 1 fight remaining on their contracts?

When a UFC fighter retires, does it clear them of all contractual duties from that point or do those duties technically still carry on against the retired fighter? (@jei feel free to word it better if you want)

Which locations that you know of have the highest and lowest tax rates against fighters pay?

Does Nganou deserve a title shot next after his impressive TKO over Cain last Saturday, and if so will DC even take that fight?

Do you think the time has come for Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 in the Bellator cage?

Any news on when we might see Demetrious Johnson (still the UFC flyweight champ to me) in ONE Championship?

@jei, I've seen those pretty sparkling pink belts around. Any way you can hook an Irish/Nigerian up with a sweet sparkling green belt?

Last edited:
Silva for sure but that had to happen when it should've. I think a Khabib fight would have been more competitive. Maybe not if GSP couldve pulled what Sonnen did in the first fight but we'll never know.

Yo Ant. Got some nice hors d'oeuvres this weekend with ONE on Friday morning. How does ONE's roster stack up against the UFC/Bellator/PFL? Outside of Brandon Vera, their champions have basically ZERO major North American experience... but Eddie Alvarez is probably gonna end up facing one of this weekend's guys in the LW final.

YOU TOO CAPTAIN CREDENTIAL I KNOW YOU GOT A TAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silva would have been cool. injury or no, if sonnen could do it to silva then GSP could have too. and would have avoided the 'chael sonnen special' at the end as well.

europe1 back with more questions. I won't let that scoundrel @Frank McEdgar break my record for most questions asked on this podcast!:D

* This week, a Nevada Court dismissed Mark Hunt's lawsuit against the UFC with prejudice. Apparently, UFC fighters can now consent to fighting a roided opponent, even though every fighter on the UFC's roster also have to consent to not fight with PED's in their system! Is this a Kangaroo Court, or is it just an elaborate pre-made excuse for when Jon Jones fails his next drug test?

* Wow, what a week! Collapsed Knees! Crushed Russian Testicles! And... the terrors of English Wrestling! Thank God for Luque vs Barbarana. Which one of these flops were most painful for you guys and do you think that you will ever recover?

* Someone on Twitter pointed out that because of the Wittman corner-segment on the ESPN cards, we rarely get to see the ring girls anymore! Is this a tragedy unparalleled in the history of mankind, or a refreshing change? What is the position of Ring Girls in modern combat sport? And, guys, if you can set up a date between me and Chrissy Blair, I'll give you my entire bank account!

Last edited:
Anderson Silva when they were both on top of the game. UFC really screwed up not working that one out. Both were the most dominant champions in history and everybody wanted to see it. Shame we never will see it.

I picked Askren because he was also a top WW during GSP’s reign.

I certainly hope it wouldn’t have been similar to the Shields fight, which is possibly the worst I’ve ever watched.

Back