The Trenches live chat show tonight. Call in

Discussion in 'The Trenches' started by AntWalkerMMA, Oct 7, 2019.

1. AntWalkerMMA

AntWalkerMMA Sherdog.com Staff Sherdog.com Staff

You know the routine. Drop your questions for my mailbag column and YouTube live chat show The Trenches. Between Izzy's title win, the PFL playoffs, One, etc. it's a lot to talk about. We go live at 8pm ET/5pm PT. Come get this work
    Call in at 323-870-4051 and press 1 to get in the queue

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    PurpleStorm likes this.
  2. Cowboyletsgo

Cowboyletsgo Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

is Jones clean?

3. PurpleStorm

PurpleStorm Brown Belt

Hi Ant. I'm pretty sure Israel Adesanya is fighter of the year. Who else do you feel is in contention?

Jackonfire likes this.
  4. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

[​IMG]

Killer of Snakes and Master of two Divisions.

* Why is nobody talking about Connor vs Islam (no, not the religion). It seems the perfect match to make from a narrative and stylistic perspective. You will keep the beef going, and we will see how Connor performes against someone with an almost identical style to Khabib.

* Did you think Whittaker looked bad vs Israel? He barely fainted and didn't mind his p's and q's in the pocket where he is normally so diligent (two areas most thought he'd have an advantage). Instead, he did karate-blitz and wide hooks. Is this a question of Robert regressing, or merely a question of chosen tactics and technique-focus?

* According to Jon Jones turncoat striking-coach, Jones often trains while high. We know of other fighters who reportedly do the same like the Diaz brothers. Ant, as Sherdog's resident drug-expert, the marijuana-master of the internets, the ganja-wizard of the trenches. With all your knowledge of mind-altering hallucinogens and MMA, do you think there is an advantage to training while high?

* Charles Oliveria is set to fight Jared Gordon who is 1-2 in his last 3. WTF?

* Before Tai Tuivasa's fight, all we heard was how he was super-motivated and now took the sport seriously (even awoke before 9 PM!). Then, he goes out there and gets head-and-arm thrown by a Heavyweight. This is a narrative we commonly hear from fighters yet often we do not see the results. Do you think it's just hype-talk to fill air-time or do fighters genuinely seem to believe they've put in the extra gear?

PurpleStorm likes this.
  5. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

I think the promotion is still trying to figure out what to do with Makhachev. He's completely unwilling to fight the champion of the division he's a part of, so I doubt they want him to knock off potential contenders since he's not going to take a shot at the belt as long as Khabib has it.

6. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

What style do you think would give israel adesanya the most trouble? Who do you think can actually beat him. Also his wrestling, how good do you think it is? We haven't seen him go up against a Weidman or Romero etc. Could that be his weakness?

7. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

This is a good one, I'm curious their thoughts on it.

Kono dio da! likes this.
  8. rushbeg

rushbeg Blue Belt

Who are the biggest dark-horses in each men's division?

How do you see GSP at its best doing against Adesanya?

9. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy

He should also fight at 170. Dude looked towering over Arman.

[​IMG]

Or Arman is 145er?

10. white crow

white crow Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Why does an opinion of Ant matter so much to give him a thread? Just saying

11. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

Thanks man. Because I have a hunch that it's a fighter with a good takedown and ground game, but the UFC shipped all of them to the LHW division for some reason. The division seems like it'll be his playground, which is unacceptable because we'll never really know how good he is if that's the case.

12. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

He's knowledgeable

AntWalkerMMA likes this.
  13. kwijyboy

kwijyboy Yellow Belt

Ant, Is this photoshopped?

[​IMG]

14. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

How do you think the current MW division compares to that of say 5 or 10 years ago?
    A lot of people tend to think today's MMArtists are overall more skilled and well-rounded which I tend to agree with for the most part, however watching that MW title-bout between Whittaker and Adesanya made me question not the fact that they are more well rounded but the effectiveness of it.
    Israel is just a Kickboxer with TDD, he still focuses on his main-art and is more successful than the VERY well rounded champion.

I don't see Adesanya, Whittaker or Costa as being that much better than the old guard of the MW division, am I wrong or am I right?

15. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

Did Waterson just scuttle her own title-shoot chances by turning down the catch-weight or does mom-champ meme triump all?

It wasn't that long ago that people thought Okami had a top-quality jab. The improvement is real.

16. ColombianFist

ColombianFist "Es mejor ser rico que ser pobre"

1. Will Bellator stop building fighters with the blood of bums and tomato cans?

2. How the Usman vs Colby fight will fold since both guys have a similar style?

3. Will Mcg stop begging for a rematch with khabib and actually fight someone ranked?

4. Does Adesanya knows something about how to beat Jones' Reach that we don't know yet?

17. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

Are Khabib and Ali dragging their feet with the tony fight on purpose, maybe as a power move? What's going on? This fight could easily have been the main event for 246, why wait until March or April?

18. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

Also why are the UFC burying their LW wrestlers and grapplers? Gillespie finally got someone, but why are hernandez, Oliveira and Islam being forced to fight unranked guys? You can't tell me that it's just pure coincidence that the top 10 is full of strikers and brawlers. And it's been this way for a while now. Dana pressures people into taking fights but I don't see that same energy for these guys. If they were serious about this all these guys would've been matched up with top ten guys by now (ps I know hernandez blew his chance in January but still). Because none of these top ten guys save for Tony and gaethje pose ANY threat to Khabib, and as such any match-up with these guys is just too predictable.

19. Kono dio da!

Kono dio da! Orange Belt

20. DLX

DLX thpinal

Enjoying my athleticism and explosiveness
    Just wanted to say you're on my Mt. Rushmore of MMA analysts. (Along with Luke Thomas, Jack Slack, and Jimmy Smith) I really enjoy your stuff. Keep up the good work! @AntWalkerMMA

AntWalkerMMA likes this.