The Trenches, Episode 7: Sherdog Live Chat (Every Thursday at 8PM ET/5 PM PT)

Who will leave Madison Square Garden with the UFC heavyweight title Saturday at UFC 230?

• Total voters

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score

Sherdog Main Page writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos want to talk things over and answer your questions on a Live Video Chat series titled "The Trenches," airing tonight at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT. They also want your thoughts on a poll posted in this thread, with today's poll question asking who will leave Madison Square Garden with the UFC heavyweight title Saturday at UFC 230?

Chime in on the conversation by posting any questions you have for them.

Ant holds over 15 years of martial arts experience, training in multiple styles including Boxing, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Kung Fu and Krav Maga, and also coached amateur MMA fighters. A former Sherdog Radio Network personality and current contributor to Sherdog.com, this self-described "gym rat" seeks to impart his knowledge and discuss all things MMA with his fellow community members.

A journalist by trade, Jason has also co-hosted and produced multiple podcasts (including the "Fight Strength Podcast" with American Top Team trainer Phil Daru) over the years. He has contributed for several publications, and was a Senior Editor for MMASucka.com before landing at Sherdog. Along with his plethora of articles based on his exclusive interviews, Jason frequently covers live events for the site, chronicling the happenings with his growing photographic talents.

Select questions from this thread will be answered in the article, and additional questions from this thread may be used in an upcoming episode of live video chat series 'The Trenches,' hosted on the forum every Thursday. Below are links to previous episodes of that series as well as his previous 'Ask Ant' articles.

The Trenches, Episode 6
The Trenches, Episode 5
The Trenches, Episode 4
The Trenches, Episode 3
The Trenches, Episode 2
The Trenches, Episode 1: UFC 229 Presser

Ask Ant 10/26: MMA Trade Edition
Ask Ant 10/19
Ask Ant 10/12

Ask Ant 10/5
Ask Ant 9/27
Ask Ant 9/21

Ask Ant 9/14

Thank you, and please be respectful. We appreciate it.

Last edited:
Why don't big MWs like Jacare, Rockhold, Weidman, or Yoel take a page out of Anthony Smith's book and move up to the weaker LHW division?

I mean they don't have to look much further than their own MW Champion to see the benefits of not cutting as much weight.

There's certainly scenarios similar to this in other weight classes as well.

Who is your favorite mma fighter of all time

Do you see Platinum Mike Perry get a title shot in 2019? I sense he might be a decent win over Cowboy and a win over, say, Lawler away from it.

Are we gonna see a 265lb Texas boy fly this weekend or what

What happens if DC loses this weekend? I imagine the Brock fight will be off. Jones is fighting Gustafsson for the LHW belt. Where does that leave Cormier?

Greetings mighty Ant!

What do you do with a fighter like Derek Brunson? He seems like a prime example of a fighter who suffers due to the mental aspects of fighting. Back in Strikeforce, he used to be known as The Blanket. But during his UFC tenure, he's either extreme aggression or extreme defence, with little middle-ground to be found (or Wrestling). Either way, it leads to some bizarre decision-making and bizarre fights.

So how do you fix this? Are there any coaches you can think of that are good at improving the mental game? What does a fighter like Brunson need?

This'll be starting any minute now.

1. Who should Askren's UFC debut be against? Tbh, it seems like he's zeroing in on Till and I have no problem with that. Interesting style matchup.

2. Jose Aldo said he wanted to make his LW debut on UFC 231, but they failed to get him on the card. Do you think he makes his LW debut this year and if so, who should he fight? (The correct answer is Justin Gaethje).

3. Do you think Anthony Smith has done enough to earn a title shot? The general consensus is yes but let's hold our fuckin' horses a bit. Rashad Evans (retired), Shogun Rua (Walking Corpse) and Volkan being the lone decent win. I know LHW is thin but personally I think you make Anthony Smith vs. Dominick Reyes as a Fight Night Main Event first.

Is there anything more pure and glorious than fighting for the honour of your favourite fast-food restaurant?

Man, you can really see the monitor's reflection in Jason's glasses.

Last edited:
Has Brunson even used his wrestling since the Romero fight? It seems to have dilapidated these last few years.

Definitively going to ask Ant about T-Wood and Dana White's warm, fuzzy relationship next week after that Rashad speech.

Good show, guys, and thank you to those of you that submitted questions or tuned in. Glad that there was a hearty discussion about fast food and sponsorships.

What happens if DC loses this weekend? I imagine the Brock fight will be off. Jones is fighting Gustafsson for the LHW belt. Where does that leave Cormier?
Thinking about retirement, hopefully.

Back