The Trenches, Episode 25 Poll: Has BJ Penn's legacy been tainted by 6 consecutive defeats?

Has B.J. Penn’s legacy been tainted by six consecutive defeats in the twilight of his career?

• Total voters
HELL NO.

Beating beasts in multiple divisions (most of whom were bigger than you) in your prime is way more important than losing to journeymen once your career has gone down hill. I think of him as if he retired after the last Hughes fight.

Without a shadow of a doubt. he should have actually retired when he said he would after the Diaz bout. That was his perfect opportunity to bow out still essentially on top with grace and instead he lost another 5 fights since then.
Whenever he is discussed this sad period of taking fight after fight loss after loss will be discussed.

JEI YOU KNOW THEY'LL HAVE TAKES ON THIS QUESTION!!!!! PICK IT!!!!!!!!!!
Please, there's no need to shout. I have your questions recorded, including the multiple asks of your question about One vs the UFC/Bellator. It hasn't come up yet because it's not as pressing/recent of a topic as others, but rest assured, there will be plenty of discussion about One before their big Tokyo card at the end of the month.

He's one loss away from having an even record. That's poor no matter which way you slice it.

Its unfortunate but you cant ignore losses in a career. No matter if its early or late. Recognizing greatness during a prime is fine, but you have to look at a career as a whole. Has Fedor been shown to be human by going 6-5 in fights overseen by an MMA commission, yes! Has BJ proven his prime may have been great, but he isnt the greatest LW ever, I believe that to be true. Anderson is one of my favorite guys ever as well, but losing to Bisping, barely scraping by Brunson, losing to Izzy, all have taken away from his GOAT points. MMA is brutal, the rankings are brutal, the fans are fickle, and the blame is independent unlike most sports. Sad but true for BJ and the rest of the guys.

It doesn't change what he accomplished.

Anyone who thinks it does is a moran.

No question... But when you get a chance @AntWalkerMMA go checkout the Paige Van Zant Sports Illustrated Thread... for research purpose. :)

While i wanna say yes, it's more honorable that Anderson's last fights/getting busted for PEDs

Yo Ant. Speculation time... do you think Conor is more likely to return for UFC 237 in Rio or UFC 238 in Chicago??? Or 239 in Vegas for International Fight Week???
-->Waste of $$$$ to put him on a non-PPV card (never will be on a Fight Night)
-->Makes sense to pair him w lower draw title in the co-main... Cormier-Brock/Stipe is out, Bones Jones is out as co-mains
-->Feather, Light, and Middleweight are tied up at 236
-->Conor said he wants to fight in Brazil (237). He also would love the Irish crowd in Chicago (238) like he did in NYC

For anyone who wants to debate --> Rio (237) is too quick a turnaround for Bones-Thiago, even though Bones wants to be active this year and as siiiickkkkkk as it would be to see Thiago contend in front of the hometown crowd. Conor gets Rio in May and Bones-Thiago happens in Chicago (238), even though Bones-Thiago in Rio and and Conor in Chicago would get the most fucking hyyyyyyppppeeeeeee. Cormier-Brock happens in Vegas for International Fight Week at 239 bc $$$$ + eyeballs.

JEI YOU KNOW THEY'LL HAVE TAKES ON THIS QUESTION!!!!! PICK IT!!!!!!!!!!
Whaaattttt I got a like from Frank McEdgar????????? FUCK YEAH. Like when my BJJ instructor finally remembered my name. I'm blushing!!!!!!!!!!! Giving you your 200,000th like back. I gotchu brah

Please, there's no need to shout. I have your questions recorded, including the multiple asks of your question about One vs the UFC/Bellator. It hasn't come up yet because it's not as pressing/recent of a topic as others, but rest assured, there will be plenty of discussion about One before their big Tokyo card at the end of the month.
no-i-cant-stop-yelling-cuz-thats-how-i-talk.jpg

THANKS JEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!! I HEART YOU ;)

Whaaattttt I got a like from Frank McEdgar????????? FUCK YEAH. Like when my BJJ instructor finally remembered my name. I'm blushing!!!!!!!!!!! Giving you your 200,000th like back. I gotchu brah

2ajtsw.gif

I want to know if either Holly or Michelle has come out in support of Jones* since he actually returned to the cage? Or the opposite? I couldn’t find anything, but I didn’t try too hard.

fighting guida should have happened 10 years ago. he should have retired gracefully after FE; he's a shell of his former self and it's a shame that he goes keeps doing this.

It hasn’t for me personally, but I voted yes because it clearly has for a majority of fans.

Did Jason just say that BJ might need money?

I had the feeling the BJ question would be first and foremost. Just a baffling display of matchmaking.

Back