The Trenches, Episode 21 Poll: Does Adesanya Deserve a Title Shot if He Beats Silva at UFC 234?

Does Israel Adesanya deserve a title shot if he beats Anderson Silva this weekend at UFC 234?

• Total voters
No, but I'm not going to complain. Would've preferred the Jacare fight to Anderson, but as the FW GOAT says: "it is what it is"

He needs at least 1 top 5 MW wrestler/grappler to prove he can fight for the title

"Deserve" is a double edged word.

He's currently ranked (as if that had anything to do with anything) below Romero, Rockhold, Jacare, and Weidman. None of those guys should get a shot with Whittaker any time soon....

...but all 4 of those guys WOULD be suitable for a shot if Gastelum wins.

So if I were Israel, I'd be hoping for a Whittaker victory.

Jacare is on an incredible 1 fight win streak

Yes Israel deserves it if he wins

Whittaker willl beat jacare’s ass even worse than the first time, at least whittaker vs Israel is interesting

To help clarify and add to the discussion, Israel Adesanya would be 16-0 if he defeated Silva, with wins in the UFC over:

Anderson Silva
Derek Brunson
Brad Tavares
Marvin Vettori
Rob Wilkinson

No. Give Jacare or Woodley the next MW shot for fucks sake. Jacare hasn't gotten a single title shot yet lol

Jacare is ahead
And if Costa beat Romero he is #1 imo

I'm going to ask the opposite: Do you think we could get more exciting finishes and more finishes if the UFC started guaranteeing a bonus for finishes (say $50,000 for POTN and FOTN still, but maybe an extra $10,000 for all other finishes)?
They should do a point system like in Killer Instinct, with combos- more hits means more cash.

32 Hit ULTRA COMBO!!

Circumstantial. If he wins and Costa loses to Yoel,Romero won't get a titleshot off a one fight win streak even if Kelvin is the champ.From my understanding prior the Israel vs Anderson fight the UFC tried to book Israel vs Jacare and Souza didnt answer the call and you see what happens when you dont (ala Colby) so under those circumstances yes he should get a titleshot if he wins but not if Costa finishes/beats Romero.

If him and Whittaker win he'll 100% get one. That's the only thing that really matters.

No, but i have no problem with it. Andy shouldn't get one though.

Just for the fact hes on a streak. Theres no one else at mw because all the top 5s have beat eachother.

I think it’s pretty clear title shots aren’t about deserved. A spectacular win over Silva and it’s probably guaranteed.

I voted NO because he doesn't deserve it, should fight Jacare for it but I want to see him vs Bobby. 2 youngens in their primes.

Fuck no. Dude hasn't fought anyone in the top 5 and is being fed an old man with a broken leg. Anyone who says he deserves a title shot after this fight is an idiot. If Costa beats Romero he's the rightful number 1 contender. Period. Although dick head Dana has a habit of giving out TS to people who don't deserve them.

Dear wise men of the podcast,

* Do you fear a Hendricks-esque drop-off from Kelvin Gastelum? He balloons up in weight in-between fights. He has had severe weight-cutting problems. And he relies a lot on his toughness and athleticism in fights. Is it just me, or does this seem like the recipe for a disaster?

* Do Bronx on the warpath! Last Saturday he beat up my countryman David Teymur, and he did it while half-blind! I think most of us assumed that he would break after the beastly eye-impalement and the knockdown, but that gangly brought it. Not even Teymur's much-vaunted footwork was able to stop his charge. Tell me, how far do you think Oliviera can go in the LW division with this newfound toughness, and WHY IN GODS NAME DOES HE KEEP WANTING TO GO BACK TO FEATHERWEIGHT!?

* Why is the MMA world so focused on has-beens? Andersson Silva is the GOAT middleweight, but 3 years ago he got boxed up by Michael Bisping of all people! What has to change for Israel to get an actual Top 5 MW in the world?

* Do you think T-Wood was in actual risk of getting stripped by his title, or were the insinuations all scare-tactics from Dana's part?

* Sir Burgos, Lord Ant, I have a very, VERY important question to ask the two of you. If Israel Adesanya defeats Andersson and then goes on to win the MW belt in 2019, would you consider him to be the nerdiest UFC champion in history? How does Izzy's nerdiness stack-up vs other all-time great MMA geeks like GSP or Josh Barnett? I mean, for christ-sake, his nickname is a goddamn Avatar: The Last Airbender reference!

Last edited:
Do you think we could get more exciting fights and more finishes if UFC started docking pay for going to decision?
Thats stupid. The UFC should give extra bonuses getting a finish in championship fights. Make it worth while so the champs would like to keep fighting more often instead of ducking all the top contenders (bisping).

Adesanya is the best fighter at MW. Why hold him back for "deserving" a shot?

Back