The trainsition from competing with shin guards to without

FuNomad

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is it a drastic difference? Are the blows significantly more painful/shocking or does the lack of shin protection simply increase the chance of KOs?

It's very different. You can do much more damage and people can do much more damage to you. You might be able to take a dozen leg kicks with shin guards, but please don't try that without them.

don't worry about it

I thought of it as well when I was 15 but it's not that big of a deal.......the adrenaline will take care of that

but afterwards there is a difference, I always was in pain...sometimes while taking a shower right after the fight, sometimes the next day. Usually I would limp/walk real slowly

Is it a drastic difference? Are the blows significantly more painful/shocking or does the lack of shin protection simply increase the chance of KOs?

The idea of competing with shin guards in mma is rediculous.

Here in New Brunswick Canada, you get 6oz gloves instead of 4oz and no elbows or knees to the head.

Oh and you can't GnP to the head unless you have mount.

That is the only difference between pro and amateur MMA.

There is a difference, but like most have said, it is most noticeable after the bout. As far as receiving kicks, a bruise will hurt but heal up alright. I had a more difficult time with my leg and shin that had done the kicking. I think I may have caught a hip bone or something and that led to a stress fracture in my foot, but all in all, it's close to the same. Bone on bone it matters, but if I kicked with my shin and not my foot, it would have been a non-issue.

The idea of competing with shin guards in mma is rediculous.

Here in New Brunswick Canada, you get 6oz gloves instead of 4oz and no elbows or knees to the head.

Oh and you can't GnP to the head unless you have mount.
That is the only difference between pro and amateur MMA.

This sounds really fucking dumb

Getting a kicked checked, shin to shin, scares the shit out of me.

Getting a kicked checked, shin to shin, scares the shit out of me.
It's not that bad because of the adrenaline, but just make sure your setup and timing are correct. Like I said in my earlier post, just don't think you can go without checking the other guy's leg kicks like some do with shin guards, because that's not gonna work.

Yes, big difference!

The Pros;
You'll learn to block ASAP
Kick faster
cause more damage

Cons;
A little sore during the fight
Very sore after
Your opponent can kick just as fast.

Keep in mind you can use other weapons for MT/KB besides kicking, you can also work knees, hands,elbows (if allowed) clinching if you're shins are to banged up to kick. If you're scared of an opponent checking your kick you can aim for the head (that gets really tiring and predictable) or his shoulder (which with a little sweat can turn into a head kick)

dont feel a thing in the fight...well thats a lie you do notice it but the adrenaline kicks in. After the fight and for a week or so after you bruise up and walking is a chore.

Back