The Top 5 ways to Pass the Guard

sonicbh

White Belt
Reaction score
My website BJJ Connect has recently been reborn as a new idea in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Previously, we were a live web stream show that showcased grappling events and interviews with some of the Worlds

Clean site design. I didn't know this even existed. This sounds cool, more power to you. Your idea makes complete sense. I'd like to watch your show.

I really can't ask for much more, but I'll do it anyway, since you posted here. Maybe you want feedback.

I want to see a little evolution in the delivery of BJJ tutorial content. You seem well on your way, but I'm talking about how people film it, not what's delivered. We need techniques slowed down by the camera, not the instructor. Full speed techniques filmed from 2 different angels at 120fps would be awesome. You'd get amazingly fluent slow-motion from real techniques at real speed.

The effect itself gets viewers, it's so cool. There have been incredibly boring martial arts demos on tv that were awesome to watch just because of super-slow motion. Those cameras cost a truck-load of money, but you don't need super-slow motion for grappling sports, I don't think. That's too slow, lol. Slow-motion at one sixth or one fourth of the real speed is actually absolutely sufficient for learning from observation. The go pro cameras can film 120fps at full hd resolution. They are cheap as hell. That is practically unheard of in the consumer segment. It would be so cool to see. Nobody really does that type of smooth, fluent slow-motion shot from different angles.

If you had to go crazy with super-slow-motion you could even use 120fps footage combined with the plugin or effect twixtor. You can learn about it on youtube and vimeo. It normally takes 24 or 30fps footage and makes relatively smooth slow motion video from it by morphing the frames. The more frames you have the slower you can go, without crazy artifacts or anything like that. Now the regular HD footage can't go very slow for that reason, but 60fps can go pretty far. Now 120 fps could undoubtedly go to something that resembles native super-slow-motion. So technically, it's probably possible. I have no idea how good that works with BJJ, but it would probably look pretty damn cool. You see this effect with BMX, skateboarding and all kinds of other relatively fast stuff all the time and it looks awesome. No idea if it would be as cool to watch BJJ in super-slow-motion though.

BJJ instructionals normally show the techniques very slowly and explain in so much detail, that it gets overwhelming to comprehend how all of that is done in a second or less. They go faster and faster still and suddenly it looks completely different. The technique at full speed is so fluent and does everything at once. For me it's tough to learn like that visually. The full speed technique usually looks like something else is done entirely to me. I find it tough to visually learn like that, because I'm not familiar with seeing the moves in training and at grappling competitions I guess. If you know what they are doing, then the normal way probably makes a lot of sense, but if you don't know where things are going, it's like watching stuff in the wrong order.

If I could instead see a technique used at full speed, then in slow-motion like an NFL replay, I would understand the slow explanation a lot better. It's like backwards to me with most of the tutorials.

I think your viewership would explode if smooth slow-motion would be implemented regardless of whether or not a lot of people feel like me. People that won't even know what BJJ is will be watching the show due to slow-motion sporting movements alone and everyone would get a new visual treat. I keep suggesting those cameras to people that do videos and blogs, but so far nobody in mixed martial arts is doing it. You'd be the first.

That's my input. Thanks for reading.

is the jury still out on ball biting?

Last edited:
BJJ instructionals normally show the techniques very slowly and explain in so much detail, that it gets overwhelming to comprehend how all of that is done in a second or less. They go faster and faster still and suddenly it looks completely different. The technique at full speed is so fluent and does everything at once. For me it's tough to learn like that visually. The full speed technique usually looks like something else is done entirely to me. I find it tough to visually learn like that, because I'm not familiar with seeing the moves in training and at grappling competitions I guess. If you know what they are doing, then the normal way probably makes a lot of sense, but if you don't know where things are going, it's like watching stuff in the wrong order.

If I could instead see a technique used at full speed, then in slow-motion like an NFL replay, I would understand the slow explanation a lot better. It's like backwards to me with most of the tutorials.
Caio's modern jj utilizes slowmo replays of the techs done at full speed. Excellent set.

Nice idea!

Top-5 passes:
-Leg drag
-X-pass
-Toreando
-Kneecut
-Jumping pass

Served as you wish ;)

Mine, in no particular order:

-Toreando
-Tozi
-Over/Under
-Leg Drag
-Knee Slide

I am not good with names but the basics work for me.

1.) Elbow against leg pass (standard pass)
2.) Standing up while grabbing the arm
3.) Two elbows pushing opponents thighs while knee comes up
4.) Standing up but stacking after you open the guard

I am not good with names but the basics work for me.

1.) Elbow against leg pass (standard pass)
2.) Standing up while grabbing the arm
3.) Two elbows pushing opponents thighs while knee comes up
4.) Standing up but stacking after you open the guard

These are ways of breaking the closed guard, not passing.

I like a few of the answers! I never use the tozi pass. If you are joining tonight make sure to have a link to the video of it on youtube that way we all know what you mean!

If you have signed up for this make sure to go to BJJConnect.com we already have 20 people signed up so we can only take 5 more.

Big fan of the basic knee slide and double under stack.

These are ways of breaking the closed guard, not passing.

I have never really thought of these as different things.

Thinking about it now I probably should see them as two different actions.

Currently it is a case of this open is step one and this pass is step two.
But if you break it down into the two elements it gives your game much more varierty, sure note all opens will work with all passes but I assume many would.

Sonicbh,
Might be worth including a breif discussion on that.

I have never really thought of these as different things.

Thinking about it now I probably should see them as two different actions.

Currently it is a case of this open is step one and this pass is step two.
But if you break it down into the two elements it gives your game much more varierty, sure note all opens will work with all passes but I assume many would.

Sonicbh,
Might be worth including a breif discussion on that.

opening closed guard is a very minor component of passing IMO

breaking the closed guard pass and passing the guard should be taught as 2 differents technique.

Unfortunetly , it is commonly taught and considered as one technique.

I guess the technique of opening of the closed guard will dictate on which guard pass you would use.

My favorite are the cut-through/knee slice or any pressure pass with underhook from half guard.

what about breaking the closed guard standing?

grab one sleeve. post up first foot on the side you control the sleeve.

just watch out of the lumber jack sweep. if he does it, just put knee pressure on his solar plexus. just slowly shake him off and he will get tired of holding the closed gaurd.

That is one i use, commonly with a knee slide.

I have always thought of that as one tech, but since reading Shemhazai's comment I can see them as two seperate ones.

Maybe I have not like certain passes because I don't like the open or vice versa, viewing them seperately would ensure each is reviewed on its merits

But thanks for the suggestion, Always keen to get new moves as passing and now I can include openning, are perhaps my biggest weaknesses.

Have to agree, im just beginning to get some guard breaks down but I suck at actual guard passing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back