The Top 20 World's Strongest Animal Bite Forces, Measured in PSI (NEW!)

Cool to know.

Grew up with a mastiff in our family. She was a beast of a dog, broke my moms arm when she took off after another dog on a walk. But she never bit or attempted to bite anyone in our family.

Two posts later...

Mind = Boggled.

Yes, quite the contradiction! :icon_lol:

Let me explain where that's coming from...

I kind of alluded to the scenario in a subsequent post.

I am a huge cat lover, lions being one of my favorites.

Saw this documentary one time on lions, great show, showing these lionesses with their cubs, what they go through to survive. Quite engaging, you're really pulling for them.

Later on in the show, they show the 2 lionesses going on a hunt, and they make a kill. They're eating, then comes along 10 Hyenas and proceed to swarm and threaten the lionesses. I get they're just hungry too and want to eat, but they were putting it to the lionesses (numbers were just too much), and one of the lionesses gets injured in her leg, and the Hyenas are on them like locusts, it's looking bad...

Then out from the bushes comes a Lion with a dead Hyena in it's mouth (it had just iced, has his neck is his mouth). Him and 3 other Lions proceed to STEAMROLL the Hyenas.

You're not cheering for Lions to manhandle Hyenas at this point? Damn right. :icon_lol:

Being human, you apply things to your own life - and in that moment, that was 2 gals trying to feed their kids, being accosted by 10 punks - their boyfriends show up and kick the living shit out of the punks. :icon_lol:

So, that's where I was coming from with "love to watch Lions manhandle Hyenas". In that context, yes. The underdog scenario.

NOW, would I indiscriminately get my jolies watching Hyenas getting hurt (especially by man), or the reverse scenario - 10 lions showing up on 2 Hyenas.

No, I'd flip the channel quick on that, because I know what's coming. But 10 to 1, it's usually the other scenario I see.

I would imagine tiger sharks are near the top. They are very similar to bull sharks, but eat turtles.

I would imagine tiger sharks are near the top. They are very similar to bull sharks, but eat turtles.

I had a dog that ate a turtle once. It was an all day affair. Not a popcorn crunch like it is for a shark.

Is the mastiff a Fila Brasileiro (brazilian mastiff)? They are extremely powerful guardian dogs.

I had a dog that ate a turtle once. It was an all day affair. Not a popcorn crunch like it is for a shark.

I've had turtle as well, but I am no tiger shark.

Now, this is nothing I researched, but I have heard that the pacu(nut eating piranhas) have very strong bite force, as do parrot fish that eat coral. Being as small as they are, though, the psi wold be low. In Cozumel Mexico, probably around 93 or so, I went for a dive and a woman was feeding the parrot fish with a can of cheese wiz. She had her fingers ripped off in a frenzy.

On a related note, if you ever go on a night dive, and find a parrot fish asleep(they secrete and sleep in a slime sac) I highly recommend grabbing the Fish and hitting the nearest diver across the face. I did this to my older brother and got the shit beat out of me later, but how many people can really say they have bitch slapped a person with a parrot fish.

Brown bear = Kodiak bear

There's really no difference, they're both coastal grizzlies that get extra large due to eating salmon.

NOW, would I indiscriminately get my jolies watching Hyenas getting hurt (especially by man), or the reverse scenario - 10 lions showing up on 2 Hyenas.

No, I'd flip the channel quick on that, because I know what's coming. But 10 to 1, it's usually the other scenario I see.

I gotcha, well said.

TS, did not see Sarah Jessica Parker, Jay Leno, or Gary Busey on the list.

Invalid list IMO

Yes, quite the contradiction! :icon_lol:

I kind of alluded to the scenario in a subsequent post.

I am a huge cat lover, lions being one of my favorites.

Saw this documentary one time on lions, great show, showing these lionesses with their cubs, what they go through to survive. Quite engaging, you're really pulling for them.

Later on in the show, they show the 2 lionesses going on a hunt, and they make a kill. They're eating, then comes along 10 Hyenas and proceed to swarm and threaten the lionesses. I get they're just hungry too and want to eat, but they were putting it to the lionesses (numbers were just too much), and one of the lionesses gets injured in her leg, and the Hyenas are on them like locusts, it's looking bad...

Then out from the bushes comes a Lion with a dead Hyena in it's mouth (it had just iced, has his neck is his mouth). Him and 3 other Lions proceed to STEAMROLL the Hyenas.

You're not cheering for Lions to manhandle Hyenas at this point? Damn right. :icon_lol:

Being human, you apply things to your own life - and in that moment, that was 2 gals trying to feed their kids, being accosted by 10 punks - their boyfriends show up and kick the living shit out of the punks. :icon_lol:

So, that's where I was coming from with "love to watch Lions manhandle Hyenas". In that context, yes. The underdog scenario.

Hyenas are just doing what they have to so they can survive. Lions steal kills from hyenas all the time as well.

I dont understand the distinction between Kodiak , brown , and grizzly bears. And ive never seen that distinction before. Brown bear = grizzly bear and Kodiaks are grizzlys that get much larger because of their environment.

Also, incredible that hyenas beat out tigers. Wow.

I wonder how one of these guys would rank. They eat rocks and shit sand. It's gotta take some pretty powerful jaws to do that, and there's plenty of room in that head for big jaw muscles.

Humphead-parrotfish.jpg

i dont think a jaguar has a stronger bite than a fully grown african lion but pound for pound i think the jaguar has the strongest bite among cats for its size

Forgot about this thread, really fuckign cool though. Thanks again TS for being a boss.

Surprised that Grizzly Bears beat Kodiak Bears. I figuer that since the latter is bigger, it would have a proportionally bigger bite force. Bigger skull with more muscles etc.

Not surprising that Crocs and gators hold the top 3 spots.

Also, isn't Mastiff the name of a group of dogs? If so, which one did they test?

Bbbbonus
tyrannosaurus-rex-bite-power_49360_600x450.jpg

New research suggests the Tyrannosaurus Rex had a bite force of 12 to 15,000 pounds. And the megaladon would have been even more.

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2012/02/29/new-research-into-tyrannosaurus-rex-bite-force.html

I've read articles claiming a bite force of like 40000 lbs. Probably an overstatement though. Either way, no doubt T.rex beats any land animal by a wide margin. Besides it's relatives ofcourse, which would also have insanely strong jaws.

I'd imagine a bull southern elephant seal (link) is on the list somewhere:

the adult bull southern elephant seal is without rival the largest carnivoran alive.[3][4][5] An average adult male southern elephant seal weighs six to seven times more than the largest terrestrial carnivorans, the polar bear (Ursus maritimus) and Kodiak bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi).[6][7]

I can't find info on it's bite force, though.

They eat fish and squid. They're not going to need a strong jaw to eat that stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back