The Top 20 World's Strongest Animal Bite Forces, Measured in PSI (NEW!)

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
The Top 20 World’s Strongest Animal Bite Forces

Hey guys. Another one of my threads. As always, please feel free to make your own with your own research. As I always state, this list isn’t going to be perfect. There’s different numbers for each animal and nothing is ever going to be perfect. But I can tell you guys, the list isn’t going to be far off from the truth because of my continuous research. For example, some claims state the Jaguar to have at least 2000 PSI, but this hasn’t been backed up with any significant evidence, unless of course I am proven wrong. This is the best I came up with, with my own research and as you know, I am very involved with animals. Please do not take these lists so seriously and just enjoy them for what they are, considering they are just meant to be a bit of fun. With what I’ve studied over the years, I always want to show everyone my own research. I’ve used National Geographic, Animal Planet and other sources to back these up but there’s different numbers on different sources, so if you have any others, please share.

This list is measured in lbs PSI (Pound per Square Inch). Which is the pressure resulting from a force of one pound-force applied to an area of one square inch. You can also research the bite forces in BFQ (Bite Force Quotient). The big difference between PSI and BFQ is that BFQ takes in account to the animal’s body size. For example, a spotted hyena would have a much lower BFQ than their PSI. Due to the fact, the actual force of their jaw structure and musculature would generate is not all that high. This is because hyenas have extremely strong teeth designed perfectly for bone crushing that is integral in their biting power. They also have a mechanism in their skulls that keeps the skull strong and secure under pressure.

Just for comparison, a human (adult male) has a measured PSI of 150.

I hope that made sense, now on to the good stuff.

20. Cougar
cougar_01tfk.jpg

Their muscular jaws and long canine teeth are adapted for cutting meat, tendon and sinews. They can crush the skulls and spines of large prey such as wolf and horse skulls. PSI: 350

19. Gray Wolf
gray_wolf_montana.jpg

Their teeth are heavy and large, better suited to bone crushing than those of other canids. Though not as specialized as hyenas. This force is sufficient to break open and crush bones with only a few bites. PSI: 406

18. Mastiff (Domestic Dog)
MastiffSassy2HalfYears.JPG

It has the highest bite force in domestic dogs, PSI: 556, surprising? the Rottweiler comes in at second with PSI: 328, third goes to the German Shepherd, with PSI: 238 and then fourth is the American Pitbull with PSI: 235

17. Great White Shark
great-white-up-close_6455_600x450.jpg

Sharks have the strongest bite among animals in class fish. The great whites PSI isn’t that big but it doesn’t necessarily need a strong bite force, because much of the damage inflicted by sharks is due to their teeth. Their teeth cut through the flesh of their prey like knife threw butter. PSI: 669

16. African Lion
African_Lion_Panthera_leo_Male_Pittsburgh_2800px.jpg

Lion has the weakest bite among big cats so far (leopards bite force is not yet measured, possibly weaker). They have sharp teeth, prey is usually killed by strangulation, which can cause hypoxia. PSI: 691

15. Jaguar
Standing_jaguar.jpg

Their teeth can pierce through the skull piercing the brain, also adapted to pierce turtle shells. Jaguars have the strongest bite compared to size among cat family. PSI: 700

Last edited:
14. Brown Bear
Brown+bear+C+Ivan+Seryodkin+copy.jpg

Bears are mostly omnivorous, they have very strong teeth, the incisors are relatively big and the canine teeth are large. Unlike most animals in order carnivorous, their teeth are adapted for vegetable diet. Polar bears diet however mostly consists of seals. PSI: 850

13. Kodiak Bear
BigBear.jpg

Bears are mostly omnivorous, they have very strong teeth, the incisors are relatively big and the canine teeth are large. Unlike most animals in order carnivorous, their teeth are adapted for vegetable diet. Polar bears diet however mostly consists of seals. PSI: 930

12. Siberian Tiger
Siberian_Tiger.jpg

They not only have very strong jaws but also very sharp teeth, when hunting very large prey, tigers prefer to bite the throat until the prey dies of strangulation. Tigers have the strongest bite among big cats and ranks second among carnivorous mammals. PSI: 950

11. Alligator Snapping Turtle
alligator-snapping-turtle_442_600x450.jpg

They have the strongest bite among animals with no teeth; they are typically not prone to biting without provocation. Despite they have no teeth, their powerful jaws can easily amputate human fingers. PSI: 1004

10. Bengal Tiger
bengal-tiger_179216-1920x1080.jpg

They not only have very strong jaws but also very sharp teeth, when hunting very large prey, tigers prefer to bite the throat until the prey dies of strangulation. Tigers have the strongest bite among big cats and ranks second among carnivorous mammals. PSI: 1050

9. Spotted/Striped Hyena
Spotted-Hyena-QE-park.jpg

Their teeth are more specialized for consuming coarse food, crushing and digesting large bones. Their milk contains one of the richest calcium of all land predators, from bones they eat. PSI: 1100

8. Polar Bear
polar%20bear.jpg

Bears are mostly omnivorous, they have very strong teeth, the incisors are relatively big and the canine teeth are large. Unlike most animals in order carnivorous, their teeth are adapted for vegetable diet. Polar bears diet however mostly consists of seals. PSI: 1235

7. Grizzly Bear
Grizzly+Bear+%25283%2529.JPG

Bears are mostly omnivorous, they have very strong teeth, the incisors are relatively big and the canine teeth are large. Unlike most animals in order carnivorous, their teeth are adapted for vegetable diet. Polar bears diet however mostly consists of seals. PSI: 1250

6. Bull Shark
bull-sharks-fiji-mar-2010.jpg

Sharks have the strongest bite among animals in class fish. The great whites PSI isn’t that big but it doesn’t necessarily need a strong bite force, because much of the damage inflicted by sharks is due to their teeth. Their teeth cut through the flesh of their prey like knife threw butter. PSI: 1250

5. Silverback Gorilla
Silverback+Gorilla+Wildlife.jpg

Their teeth are big, not very sharp but they have very strong neck and jaw muscles. Capable of giving a strong bite force. They are primary herbivores, their jaws are adapted to chew and digest hard plants like bamboos. PSI: 1300

4. Hippopotamus
hippopotamus_whipsnade_26th_march_2011_a-140816.jpg

They have more powerful jaw muscles and extremely large tendons despite their teeth being less sharp compared to most carnivores. Although they’re herbivores, they have the strongest bite among all mammals. PSI: 1821

3. American Alligator
american-alligator_444_600x450.jpg

Since alligators feed by grabbing and holding onto their prey, they have evolved sharp teeth for tearing and holding onto flesh. With very powerful muscles, they can close the jaws and hold them shut. PSI: 2125

2. Nile Crocodile
Nile-Crocodile-Computer-Background.jpg

Crocodiles have quite smaller jaw muscles and teeth anatomy adaptation like alligators. They have the strongest bite ever measured on living animals. But they have weak jaw opening strength, compared to powerful jaw closing strength. PSI: 5000

1. Saltwater Crocodile
4344720-salt-water-crocodile.jpg

Crocodiles have quite smaller jaw muscles and teeth anatomy adaptation like alligators. They have the strongest bite ever measured on living animals. But they have weak jaw opening strength, compared to powerful jaw closing strength. PSI: 7700
http://news.nationalgeographic.co.u...te-force-erickson-science-plos-one-strongest/)

More contenders (bite force strengths haven’t been measured yet): Killer Whale, Wolverine, Tiger Shark, Leopard, Piranha, Sperm Whale etc.

Honorable mentions: Cape Hunting Dog, has a PSI of 340, right behind the cougar. Kangal, it’s said they’re at 743 PSI which would easily put them on the list. But other claims have said they have a bite force even higher than hyenas. There has been no concrete proof on either of these claims, take it as you will.

Myth: Tasmanian Devil, strongest PSI bite force in an animal? Not true. They’re around 20 pounds in weight and their PSI is 200. They do however process the strongest bite compared to their body size among any other animal, which means their BFQ would be considerably higher.

I'm thinking some kind of croc or maybe the hippo has the strongest bite.

Bunch of pussies on this list

NO animal bites harder than me

Are we just to assume all of the are GAME?

More details needed.

Even though they mainly eat things like jellies I wonder what the bite force of a leatherback turtle is.

I thought the Alligator Snapping Turtle would be higher on the list?

The Crocs are amazing. Not only do they have sharp teeth and the death roll, but they have the PSI as well.

The bullsharks probably scare me the most.

Even though they mainly eat things like jellies I wonder what the bite force of a leatherback turtle is.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I wonder if they've even measured it before.

The Hippo and the two tigers are the scariest animals on that list. Keep me far away from an angry hippo.

What's the bite force of a human? Just for comparison.

Thanks everyone. More to come :)

so i guess Hyena is p4p strongest biter?

Back