The Top 10 P4P Boxers from 1980-present?

top 10 is pretty easy...in no order...putting them in order would be tought...

money
whitaker
chavez
rjj
bhop
srl
hagler
tyson
pac
hitman

Easy you say. I'll take your word for it.

I know this is sacrilegious but Sanchez doesn't have the record to be on this list imo. Hardly his fault I know.

Floyd, Pac, Hearns, Hagler, Leonard, Pea, RJJ, Chavez, Holyfield, Hopkins

I know this is sacrilegious but Sanchez doesn't have the record to be on this list imo. Hardly his fault I know.

I could see why Sanchez should be left off the list.

I'm curious why you have Holyfield over Lewis?

Why is Tyson on so many peoples list? He was definitely one of the most popular fighters in the past 30, hell 60 years, but not the most talented or accomplished.

I agree and mentioned earlier. He was talented and has some good names on his resume, but those names were either still green at the time or out of there weight class. He is a "what could have been" great fighter to me.

Salvador Sanchez doesn't have the resume to be on this list?

er

I can't agree with that. In just the first two years of the 80s he beat Lopez twice,Gomez,Nelson and Laporte as well as several other credible contenders.

Why is Tyson on so many peoples list? He was definitely one of the most popular fighters in the past 30, hell 60 years, but not the most talented or accomplished.

P4P

The dude was 5'10" and had a 71" reach

On the other hand guys like Lewis and the Klits maybe don't belong on the list for the same reasons

Salvador Sanchez doesn't have the resume to be on this list?

er

I can't agree with that. In just the first two years of the 80s he beat Lopez twice,Gomez,Nelson and Laporte as well as several other credible contenders.

Juan LaPorte had 16 fights, Nelson 13 when they faced Sanchez. Lopez and Gomez wins are cool, but the other two were still too green. It's not a knock at him. It's obvious he was great, but I feel that his career is incomplete because it was cut short and therfore there are more deserving names ahead of him.

In the 80s he was. He unified the HW titles at the youngest age of any HW in history. He beat Holmes, Berbick, Spinks, Tucker, Biggs, Tubbs, Bruno.... He cleaned out the HW division.

The 80s was the Tyson era. You can't debate that. The 90s now, thats another story.

In the 80s he was. He unified the HW titles at the youngest age of any HW in history. He beat Holmes, Berbick, Spinks, Tucker, Biggs, Tubbs, Bruno.... He cleaned out the HW division.

The 80s was the Tyson era. You can't debate that. The 90s now, thats another story.

That's a good point, but still Chavez went 67-0 and won titles in three weight classes in the 80's. He pales popularity wise in his accomplishments, but in p4p talent he could be better served as best of the 80's.

That's a good point, but still Chavez went 67-0 and won titles in three weight classes in the 80's. He pales popularity wise in his accomplishments, but in p4p talent he could be better served as best of the 80's.

I'm not arguing against Chavez. But Tyson was heavyweight boxing in the 80s. He ruled the division and people truly thought no one could beat him. He demolished credible HW fighters without breaking a sweat.

He had everything that makes a pound for pound ranked fighter. Skill, competition, public appeal...

casuals would tune in thinking this might be the night tyson killed someone and they didnt wanna miss it

I'm not arguing against Chavez. But Tyson was heavyweight boxing in the 80s. He ruled the division and people truly thought no one could beat him. He demolished credible HW fighters without breaking a sweat.

He had everything that makes a pound for pound ranked fighter. Skill, competition, public appeal...

I'm not disagreeing with you on those points, but if I was asked to choose the one best p4p fighter of the 1980's I think Chavez was it. And I don't even like Chavez.

casuals would tune in thinking this might be the night tyson killed someone and they didnt wanna miss it

Exactly. I remember the Tyson era. His reputation was fearsome and in the 80s he actually lived up to that reputation. Thats easy for people to forget after he lost to Douglas.

Should public appeal really be considered when ranking p4p fighters?

Should public appeal really be considered when ranking p4p fighters?

No one in those days was calling tyson an overrated tomato can. Guy was slaughtering former champs and future hall of famers. Theres a reason why his first loss was a massive upset. Its not like there were diehard boxing fans lamenting that the casuals dont know real boxing cos they love tyson

Back