The Time Is Now For A Proper Cthulhu Movie.

Del Toro would be one of the few guys I'd trust with it

Not after Pacific Rim. Toro's love for human drama would ruin it.

I really don't know of any director I'd trust to do a Cthulhu film. You'd have to get somebody who understands that its plot has nothing to do with human drama. My nomination is Michelle Houellebecq, the great French novelist and some-time actor, who also happens to have written the best book on Lovecraft ever:

http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft...6&sr=8-1&keywords=lovecraft+against+the+world

Houellebecq gets that Lovecraft is about *cosmic disgust*, which almost none of the people who have tried adapting him understand. A skilled French director, in my book, might understand how to bring cosmic disgust and revulsion against life to the screen. Hollywood directors would ruin it, because they don't understand that concept.

Cthulhu is cool and all, but Godzilla would wreck him. He's the f***ing king of the monsters.

Also, I actually kind of liked that little silent film that came out like 5 years ago. I think that it probably actually captured the story about as well as a movie could, even if it was silly

Also, I would say the closest movie I've seen to capturing the 'feel' of Lovecraft is probably Apocalypse Now, directed by Coppola. It's almost exactly the plotline of Call of Cthulhu, if you think about it, and the same feel from beginning to end.

Does TS even know what Lovecraft is about? A proper Chthulu movie would have like 90 seconds of him on screen. Kaiju movie this is not.

Also, I would say the closest movie I've seen to capturing the 'feel' of Lovecraft is probably Apocalypse Now, directed by Coppola. It's almost exactly the plotline of Call of Cthulhu, if you think about it, and the same feel from beginning to end.

With the main character going crazier the closer he gets to the myth? I'll buy that I guess.

Yep, think about it. Starts out normal, then he starts burrowing into a crazy and crazier reality, far from everyday modern life, until in the heart of darkness he encounters the disgusting and horrible truth about human existence.

This is the core of Lovecraft, the belief that ultimate truth is that our lives are worthless and disgusting, and the deepest of all truths is that the universe is vicious, insane, and contemptible. Whether you live or not is irrelevant. We hide from this truth because nobody could be sane and live if they admitted it.

You could make a great film about this concept, and Apocalpyse Now is that great film, just as Heart of Darkness was a great book. But nowadays any action director would have no idea what to do with that premise.

Another good director, and probably the best American director, would be Paul Thomas Anderson. There Will Be Blood also has a similar feel to it. That's the feel a Lovecraft movie should aim for. Not Kaiju cheezeballness (which is great in its own way, but totally different).

From Apocalypse Now, here's an awesome and true Lovecraftian quote:

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.

I can't get past how silly the name "Cthulhu" sounds. He's not that intimidating either.

That said...

south_park_kills_bieber_by_187notguilty-d32njd2.gif

Cloverfield was close enough.

I like the Cthulhu on South Park. They should make a full movie about him and The Koon.

^^^ Close enough to what?? Cloverfield was a straight POS and the only thing it was close to was worst blockbuster of all times.

^^^ Close enough to what?? Cloverfield was a straight POS and the only thing it was close to was worst blockbuster of all times.

I actually think Cloverfield was the best of its genre (monster movies) of all time.

The rest sucked.

From Apocalypse Now, here's an awesome and true Lovecraftian quote:

Kurtz: I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us.

....annnnd now I gotta go find an HD copy of this movie. It's been like a decade, and I was probably too young to understand it at the time anyway.

I would love to see it. He would have to be bigger than even Godzilla to truly capture the terror that Cthulu is supposed to be capable of. Like visible from outer space big....

I would settle for a GDT At the Mountains of Madness, too.

I'm on board with this.

Cthulhu blockbuster would be lame.. They would just make it into a shitty blockbuster monster movie where he smashes stuff and not focus on the supernatural mania that he inflicts on peoples minds

I actually think Cloverfield was the best of its genre (monster movies) of all time.

The rest sucked.

I don't know what to say other then that is ridiculous. The movie had the worst actors, was insipid and didn't seem to realize it and took it's "giant monster" self way to seriously. And the whole thing was narrated by a Broseph. I guess it could have been forgiven if it had a sweet ass monster like a giant Dinosaur, but it was just a big ugly bug.

The rest sucked.

Im with you guys. I loved Cloverfield. It was the only monster flick that really poured on the feeling of helplessness. Hell its the only Monster movie I can think of where the main characters die. I've even heard talk that the monster in the movie was a baby Cthulhu looking for its mother.

The Ghostbusters already defeated Cthulhu.

For the record Cloverfield was awesome.

Once Ed Brubaker's Fatale wraps up I could see it being made into a movie or tv series.

From Wikipedia

Fatale chronicles the life of Josephine, or "Jo", an archetypal femme fatale who is seemingly immortal, having survived from the 1930s to the modern day unaged, and also has a supernatural ability to hypnotize men into becoming intensely infatuated with her, whether she wants them to be or not.

Through the decades, Jo struggles to understand and control her powers while being pursued by a violent cult. The cult worships cosmic gods reminiscent of Lovecraftian horrors, which are somehow tied to Jo.

During her travels, Jo also encounters many men who quickly become entranced by her, often to fanatical degrees. They become entangled in her escapades, possibly as guardians, collaborators, and lovers. A motif of the series is how these men pay dearly for becoming involved with Jo.

The narrative jumps back and forth between different time periods and points of view, primarily Jo and the men entranced by her. The majority of the action in the first storyarc takes place in the 1950s, the second in the 1970s, the third during the 1930s and World War II, while the fourth arc is set in the 1990s.

A couple issues featured stand-alone stories focused on "fatales" before Jo. Issue #12 tells the story of Mathilda in 13th century France, while Issue #13 tells the story of "Black" Bonnie in the Wild West. Aside from her powers, both women also shared striking physical similarities with Jo and found themselves pursued by the same cult.

fatale-beast.jpg

Back