The three gis you'd take to a desert island

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
They could be three differrent brand gis, or three of the same brand. I say three just because that's the number I like to have in rotation (two for training, one for competition).

So, which ones?! (It would be great if you could mention why and other brands you've tried, also).

Last edited:
OTM XL240, Vulkan Ultra Light and 2010 Ouano Comp gi...

Fushida Mantis, Toraki BJJ gi, and either a Koral Light or one of the Batch 6 SYRs.

James

white syr #6, white keiko summer, and then probably the white koral i just got from a guy i train with (sleeves were too short for him).

why? the syr just fits the best, and it's light. i used to like a heavier gi, but i'm into the light weights more and more. my keiko is both light weight and incredibly soft for a pearl-type weave. and it wraps up nice and fitted, without any excess bulk in the back or under the arms. do wish the pants were a little lighter. they're VERY soft and comfortable, and the fit is awesome, but lighter pants on a summer gi would be nice. the koral comp is the gi i have the least experience with -- rolled in it for the first time today. it fits decently (would like it a wee more trim thru the torso) and is super soft and comfortable. i like the really short skirt, and and the pants are this lightweight but tough canvas. i dig.

other gis i have: white lucky, white manto, and a white fuji victory. i love my lucky, but i wouldn't bring it to a desert island because it's a goldweave. more and more i'm just always reaching for my light gis first. i used to love my manto, but as i've tried more brands i'm less and less a fan. it's a solid gi construction wise, but it's just bulky thru the torso and back. especially compared to my syr. plus, the pants on that thing were GInormous. i tossed them out. my white fuji was nice when i first got it, but it's shrunk so damn much it's kind of ridiculous. it started out an A2, and now it's between an A0 and an A1. i typically wear an A1. i use it as a backup when i haven't had time for laundry. it's a tight fit, and the sleeves wouldn't be comp legal (and i have short arms!).

other gis i used to have (but sold or traded): blue keiko goldweave. very soft, very comfy, and a great fit. but i decided to stick to white gis til i get my blue belt (personal preference/motivation), and 1 goldweave in the rotation is enough i think. i traded it for the koral mentioned above. Live Love Fight: impulse buy, and i regretted it as soon as i got it. cut very similar to the manto -- just boxy and bleh. the embroidery on the pant leg was messed up (half of a couple of the letters were missing -- like they just never got sewed in). overall, the quality and feel just didn't warrant the price tag -- which is saying something cuz i dropped a coin on the lucky and never regretted it. anyway, i sold it on ebay. white fushida icon judogi: incredible gi, but it's 100% judo. effing bulletproof doubleweave with a collar that's murder and a jacket that feels like armor. excellent for judo competitions, but not the most comfortable to roll in. sold it on ebay. white mizuno kano: judogi. the softest, most comfortable doubleweave i've ever met. trim cut for a judogi, but it's still a judogi. ie, big sleeves and a skirt. i keep it on hand in case i ever go back to judo, and sometimes use it for bjj when all other gis are dirty. it's very comfortable to roll in.

that about sums it up!

white syr #6, white keiko summer, and then probably the white koral i just got from a guy i train with (sleeves were too short for him).

why? the syr just fits the best, and it's light. i used to like a heavier gi, but i'm into the light weights more and more. my keiko is both light weight and incredibly soft for a pearl-type weave. and it wraps up nice and fitted, without any excess bulk in the back or under the arms. do wish the pants were a little lighter. they're VERY soft and comfortable, and the fit is awesome, but lighter pants on a summer gi would be nice. the koral comp is the gi i have the least experience with -- rolled in it for the first time today. it fits decently (would like it a wee more trim thru the torso) and is super soft and comfortable. i like the really short skirt, and and the pants are this lightweight but tough canvas. i dig.

other gis i have: white lucky, white manto, and a white fuji victory. i love my lucky, but i wouldn't bring it to a desert island because it's a goldweave. more and more i'm just always reaching for my light gis first. i used to love my manto, but as i've tried more brands i'm less and less a fan. it's a solid gi construction wise, but it's just bulky thru the torso and back. especially compared to my syr. plus, the pants on that thing were GInormous. i tossed them out. my white fuji was nice when i first got it, but it's shrunk so damn much it's kind of ridiculous. it started out an A2, and now it's between an A0 and an A1. i typically wear an A1. i use it as a backup when i haven't had time for laundry. it's a tight fit, and the sleeves wouldn't be comp legal (and i have short arms!).

other gis i used to have (but sold or traded): blue keiko goldweave. very soft, very comfy, and a great fit. but i decided to stick to white gis til i get my blue belt (personal preference/motivation), and 1 goldweave in the rotation is enough i think. i traded it for the koral mentioned above. Live Love Fight: impulse buy, and i regretted it as soon as i got it. cut very similar to the manto -- just boxy and bleh. the embroidery on the pant leg was messed up (half of a couple of the letters were missing -- like they just never got sewed in). overall, the quality and feel just didn't warrant the price tag -- which is saying something cuz i dropped a coin on the lucky and never regretted it. anyway, i sold it on ebay. white fushida icon judogi: incredible gi, but it's 100% judo. effing bulletproof doubleweave with a collar that's murder and a jacket that feels like armor. excellent for judo competitions, but not the most comfortable to roll in. sold it on ebay. white mizuno kano: judogi. the softest, most comfortable doubleweave i've ever met. trim cut for a judogi, but it's still a judogi. ie, big sleeves and a skirt. i keep it on hand in case i ever go back to judo, and sometimes use it for bjj when all other gis are dirty. it's very comfortable to roll in.

that about sums it up!

You da man, ohmalley.

i decided to stick to white gis til i get my blue belt (personal preference/motivation)

I made the same decision a while ago also, haha.

How would you rate the Keiko Summer in comparison to the Keiko Goldweave? Same fit?

either two of my ouano light comp Gis and a shoyoroll or two of my shoyorolls and one ouano light comp gi :D

How would you rate the Keiko Summer in comparison to the Keiko Goldweave? Same fit?

exact same fit and measurements pre-wash. just lighter. i'm gonna post a review sometime soon in G&E. just gotta take some pictures!

Several folks here seem to have the Ouano Comp. Light and SYRs. They seem to have similar cuts and materials. Can anyone give me a 10 second comparison. -
Thanks,
Zen Mojo
zenmojobjj.blogspot.com/

____
Get your grips, use your shoulder for pressure and whisper something dirty to the mat as you pass...

Back