The thing that Stann does better than Rogan with his announcing

Darragh

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Was just listening to Stann and Anik annoncing fight night 92 and I have to say I am really impressed with how Brian Stann has evolved as an announcer.

I knowS Stann gets a lot of shit on here for coming across as a little klutzy at times but I really appreciate that he doesn't try and sell you "his" story.

Rogan, while brilliant in his early years, has really come across as stale as of late. Outside of his clever analogies (bethe being hit by a sniper comes to mind), I have gotten tired of him going crazy about any sort of leg kick or overcalling strikes for fighters he favors. It is reminiscent of the conspiracy theories on his podcast-- he does a remarkable job of downplaying or not acknowledging evidence contrary to his preformed conclusions. I feel like I literally have to step back from his commentary to avoid the forced perspective.

I prefer Stann's "Cossell-Ali" style anouncing where even if he loves the guy he doesn't tip his hand. Maybe it's because Anik is such a moron, but I really thought his thought process and analysis were on point.. check out the Moroz fight if you want to see an example.

Stann stays calm and doesn't yell through my tv at me

Stann has gotten appreciably better. I used to loathe his commentary, but he's become much, much more polished. Still can't stand Anik though.

Ya, Stann used to be pretty stiff, but he's loosened up and I like his objectivity. Rogan lost me at the Ronda worship stage. I don't trust his take anymore.

I like Rogan's yelling and excitement, the dude loves MMA and Ive always liked his enthusiasm.

I do admit he will jump on a fighters side from the beginning and give a pretty biased commentary, and I think that is certainly his biggest weakness

Stann is getting much better. I think he does try to not play favorites.

The problem with Stann is that he's boring and can't elevate the action. With Rogan, even if we have a terrible fight, he can make it tolerable with his energy and charisma. As viewers, we lose something meaningful when the B team commentates big fights.

Stann is articulate, intelligent and knowledgeable. I'll take that "boring" approach over all the "ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! He's hurt!" nonsense Rogan offers.

I've always respected an announcer who fought. I liked his fighting style. Stann is the man

Nobody is as good at making a fight more exciting as Rogan. I've gotten frustrated before at Anik and Stann's equivalent of a golf clap during a finish or something. But, he's not bad overall. I like him better than Florian. I've never heard the word "crotch" more than when listening to Kenny commentate.

God Tier:
Mike Goldberg
Brian Stann
Dan Hardy

Shite Tier:
Rogan

Jon Gooden

Jon Anik

The problem with Stann is that he's boring and can't elevate the action. With Rogan, even if we have a terrible fight, he can make it tolerable with his energy and charisma. As viewers, we lose something meaningful when the B team commentates big fights.
Rogan isn't A team anymore and the year isn't 2007. Hardy, Stann, Couture, Sonnen, Cruz. That's 5 different names that do the job equally Well.

Nobody is as good at making a fight more exciting as Rogan. I've gotten frustrated before at Anik and Stann's equivalent of a golf clap during a finish or something. But, he's not bad overall. I like him better than Florian. I've never heard the word "crotch" more than when listening to Kenny commentate.

Gotta love it. BTW you're right, that is quite odd. Florian does like to say crotch a lot. He's also, coincidentially, been looking crotchety and wrinkly as fuck lately. Too much beach time K flo.

giphy.gif

Considering stann still hasn't really been at it long enough to be considered a seasoned caster yet, he does quite well. Should only keep getting better as time goes on if he stays diligent.

Back