The ten point must system

carpediem

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok this is a blatent info and opinion seeking threat. If you don't want to see that then look away now.

So I'll start of with a bit of (true) flattery. I posted this in the boxing forum rather than the heavyweights because well intelligent people post here. I have seen far more insight into the whole boxing and MMA thing in this forum than elsewhere.

Bascially I have two things I'd like to hear from you guys on:-

How did the ten point must system evolve in boxing?

In your opinion is it suitable for MMA?

I am aware in decisions cause controversy in both sports, and I've tried scoring fights I'm watching at home and it can surprise you when you score each round a seperate little three minute fight.

On the latter point my stance is basically one of concern that the ten point must system doesn't seem to work for MMA. As we saw in the Shrek fight if a guy takes you down, and you put him in danger multiple times and get up somehow this doesn't seem to get scored.

I'm not sure what the solution is, hence trying to get some info. I know I could do some research but hey I'm at college or anything, kinda left that behind. If you want to take cheap shots feel free, you'll just be ignored.

Thanks to any and all genuine contributors.

On the latter point my stance is basically one of concern that the ten point must system doesn't seem to work for MMA. As we saw in the Shrek fight if a guy takes you down, and you put him in danger multiple times and get up somehow this doesn't seem to get scored.

the 10 point must system doesn't have anything to do with criteria.

i've still yet to see a better scoring system for mma. If the judges suck out loud, there really isn't a scoring system to combat that.

This has nothing to do with the 10 point must system and everything to do with the judging critera and judge's application of them.

The major problem with 10 point must (in MMA especially and somewhat boxing) is that basically it views all rounds as created equal. An very close round that one fighter just scrapes through is scored the same as a dominating round for a fighter. There are two reasons why it's more of an issue in MMA.

1) When you knock someone down in boxing it's a 10-8 round. MMA has no such formalised system which leads to vast inconsistencies regarding how rounds are scored. What is one judges 10-8 is anothers 10-9.

2) Number of rounds. There have been several examples that illustrate the original point well in MMA. When Franklin beat Okami he did so by winning two rounds very narrowly and decisively losing the third (but not enough to be a 10-8). The Stephens/Guillard fight has Guillard winning the first two rounds narrowly and then losing the third by a wide margin... but not enough for a 10-8. In boxing the higher number of rounds mean events like this rarely happen... over the course of a fight it tends to even out.

The 10 point must system works for Boxing in my opinion but i'm not sure if it's suited for MMA. Most of the bad decisions are due to bad judges not the system but there are almost no 10-8 rounds and there really aren't clearly defined scenarios as to how a fighter can get a 10-8 round like in boxing (knockdown being the most common.) My other main critism of the 10 point must system in MMA is because non-title fights are only 3 rounds taking a point for a foul can cost a fighter the fight much easier then in boxing because of lack of rounds to make up the difference. If the 10 point must system is going to be used in MMA (I'm not sure what to replace it with I'm not familar with the half-point system yet) non-title fights need to be a bit longer in my opinion then 3 5 minute rounds. I would like 5 round fights with 7 rounds for title fights but I'm not sure how that would work with the amount of time per round. (5-7 4 minute rounds maybe? Just an idea.)

I don't like the 10 point must system. I think it is used improperly. Out of pity, fighters get off the hook sometimes with the 10 point must system. For example, when Pac dropped JMM 3 times in their first bout, the score card per the rules should have read 10-6. 1 for losing the round and each knock down. Most judges are very reluctant to score below a 10-7.

I prefer a single point system. 1 point for winning a round. 1 point for scoring a knockdown. -1 point for losing a round. -1 point for getting knocked down. 0 points for tying a round. I think this would result in a much clearer and just decision

I like the 10 point must for boxing. The only thing I would like to see changed is giving an extra point for decisively winning championship rounds (rnds 11 + 12). In championship fights, someone should be rewarded for really bringing it at the end of the fight.

I like the 10 point must for boxing. The only thing I would like to see changed is giving an extra point for decisively winning championship rounds (rnds 11 + 12). In championship fights, someone should be rewarded for really bringing it at the end of the fight.

I like that... this would discourage the whole put em in the bank and run mentality.

I think bad decisions in MMA have less to do with the 10 point must system and more to do with bad judges. Even with a "better" scoring system, MMA will still have bad decisions because some of the judges are incompetent.

I think judging in mma may be worse. even assuming the judges aren't bribed (a longshot) they don't understand that being on top doesn't mean you win the round. I hate seeing a guy get taken down then spend the rest of the round trying submissions only to lose unanimously.

I think judging in mma may be worse. even assuming the judges aren't bribed (a longshot) they don't understand that being on top doesn't mean you win the round. I hate seeing a guy get taken down then spend the rest of the round trying submissions only to lose unanimously.

I don't think any mma judges are any worse than the boxing judges in Texas. There are good and bad judges in both sports.

I've always had the idea of a 5 judge system. Where 5 judges score the bout, the highest score for one fighter is thrown out, the highest score for the other fighter is thrown out, and the bout is judged on the 3 remaining cards. This would keep judges honest by having their scorecards thrown out if they're completely biased or incompetent. Crazy thing is even with a system like this, you'll still get bs decisions in Texas.

I suppose it is to do with the judges themselves, 'cos the bits I've looked at the criteria account for the different styles. EG a striker who stuffs every shot and manages to strike has octagon control.

I'm always a little bemused with the fact that there are so few 10-10 rounds in MMA. This doesn't happen very often in boxing, but it does happen. In MMA some fights people totally cancel each other out, the round must be a draw.

Were there alternatives to this system? I remember once watching a fight and they had some other kind of system, not sure what it was called, I think it was something like one point for winning around. Something like that.

Use to be a 5 point must system in boxing.

Anyhow, would say that 10-9 rounds are too common.

If I had my way, you whip someone around for 3 minutes it should be 10-6 or 10-5.

If you extremely narrowly do a bit better than your opponent, should be 10-9.

Flash knockdown 10-8.

Brutal knockdown 10-7.

As was pointed out, theoretically you can lose two rounds by taking one jab and not landing a single punch. And punish your opponent for a full round and that would be considered "even".

Makes not a lot of sense.

What if baseball was scored by innings? i.e. you win 5 innings to 4. lol

Back