The superman elbow and the jab-elbow slice

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score

Just playing around on the bag after todays practice. :)

^^Act like an adult.

Frode, are you intending on collapsing the jab and using the angle shown? It does look a little like a hammerfistish sort of thing.

How does your normal stiff jab look by itself?

Nah. its more like a fake jab to make the guy react. The "jab" itself is more like a straight punch like the one you see from kung-fu styles (i did kung-fu for almost 10 years before muay thai), so i guess it comes from that. But you can use a normal light jab to.

The technique is about the elbow. you can use whatever jab you got. Just not make it a hard/stiff jab. Because that make the elbow to slow or telegraphed.

Props for posting videos Frode. My only critique is the elbow seems a little wide and kind of the equivalent of an arm punch, as it seems like you are opening it wide and slamming it down with your arm. Personally, I like to keep my elbow nice and tight + fast, thrown from the hips and shoulder, rather than using the arm for the power but to throw the hips like you would with a hook and slam the elbow through the guard. Keep up the good work.

edit: I'm referring to the jab/elbow, not the superman elbow.

Thanks for tips. I wish i had a video of someone pro-fighter doing this movie. I know Anderson Silva used it against Chael Sonnen. But i cant find a GIF. :(

Thanks for tips. I wish i had a video of someone pro-fighter doing this movie. I know Anderson Silva used it against Chael Sonnen. But i cant find a GIF. :(

Np just tipping in on my personal preferences, what works for me may not work for you. I've just always prefered a tight elbow thrown from the hips/shoulder like a hook as I feel it has way more power + is faster + less telegraphed, my elbow is one of my best shots from practicing it this way, plus if you angle it you can split right down the middle of the guard.

Sound good. This move works for me during sparring. But only if i dont use to often. But i am not the most technical clean striker. So i am always open for tips and advice about everything. But not everything can be shared over a internett board. :)

If done perfectly the elbow should look something like this:
2jyub.jpg

A good jab for me is one where there aren't flying elbows; the elbow stays down and behind the punch. So if there's telegraphing, it's because it's a bad punch not because it's a jab.

As far as knees and elbows, I prefer to throw them with some sort of grip along with the technique. I just prefer to go about it that way...feels...odd not to have grips when I'm that close.

I'm a noob but my coach always tells me not to pull my elbow back, just throw it from my normal guard and put power in the hips/shoulder. He says it's faster and less telegraphed that way. Though if you're imitating the move in the gif, maybe you do want to wind up like that?

I don't really like the superman elbow. I think you should be faking the leg kick more (with a short hip action) then launching toward your opponent rather than up. Also the hop should be shorter, you want to be on the ground again as quickly as possible. You are making such a dramatic leap that you are leaving yourself open to counter before the elbow lands, and after the elbow lands. At best you will end up getting clinched.

To be honest I would stick to the superman punch, better range, easier to land, less likely to be countered, you end up at a nice range for a flurry whether it lands or it is blocked. Neither an elbow or a punch will generate an overwhelming amount of power just due to the nature of the technique. It is meant to keep your opponent guessing and to set up another shot.

Your mileage may vary...

Props for posting videos Frode. My only critique is the elbow seems a little wide and kind of the equivalent of an arm punch, as it seems like you are opening it wide and slamming it down with your arm. Personally, I like to keep my elbow nice and tight + fast, thrown from the hips and shoulder, rather than using the arm for the power but to throw the hips like you would with a hook and slam the elbow through the guard. Keep up the good work.

edit: I'm referring to the jab/elbow, not the superman elbow.

totally agree with this guy and to add further to it, I would pull my left shoulder back as your delivering your right shoulder down with the elbow.

I don't really like the superman elbow. I think you should be faking the leg kick more (with a short hip action) then launching toward your opponent rather than up. Also the hop should be shorter, you want to be on the ground again as quickly as possible. You are making such a dramatic leap that you are leaving yourself open to counter before the elbow lands, and after the elbow lands. At best you will end up getting clinched.

To be honest I would stick to the superman punch, better range, easier to land, less likely to be countered, you end up at a nice range for a flurry whether it lands or it is blocked. Neither an elbow or a punch will generate an overwhelming amount of power just due to the nature of the technique. It is meant to keep your opponent guessing and to set up another shot.

Your mileage may vary...

+1 I prefer the superman punch myself since it has range and won't land you in a bad position if you time it wrong or miss. It also sets you up real nice for a body kick or a knee. Only time I really throw elbows is when I'm in the clinch or trying to back out.

Of course the superman punch is a much more useful technique. Thats not the point. :)

Thanks for good feed back guys.

Your mileage may vary...
Good post. I was planning to breakdown the superman elbow very much the way you did. It has "getting caught with a counter, while neither foot is on the ground" written all over it.

You are looking healthy though Falch, keep on keeping on brudda :D

If done perfectly the elbow should look something like this:
2jyub.jpg

Anderson didn't get that elbow out of no where it landed because he learned chaels pattern of attack and timing. In the fight few seconds before that happens you can see chael is always trying to start his combo with a low right kick and anderson picks this up in matter of seconds and sets up that elbow. Its pretty amazing what he can do.

For sure.. Anderson got a timing and eye sight that we can only dream of

Back