the super-villain that fought Nixon (really happened - WTF)

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
(Everything you're about to read is real life.)

Imagine the Joker. Got it? Okay, you're good to continue.

I just discovered the existance of the most amazing man in history, Dick Tuck. He was a real-life supervillain who schemed to destroy Nixon (including infiltrating Nixon's campaign staff) and succeeded to such a degree that President Nixon tried to create his own super-villain to battle back.

More details here...

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/tuck.html

... but these are the highlights:

As a campaign worker for Nixon, Tuck was responsible for organizing campaign rallies. He organized one such rally at UC Santa Barbara, and he booked the largest auditorium possible. However, he purposefully booked it on a day that few students would be able to attend, and then he barely publicized it at all. Therefore, when Nixon showed up to speak there were only 40 students waiting to hear him in a 4000 seat auditorium. Tuck got up on the stage to introduce Nixon and proceeded to deliver a long, rambling monologue in which he made frequent references to Nixon's cut-throat, red-bashing campaign tactics against Jerry Voorhis. Finally he announced that Nixon would now speak about the International Monetary Fund. Nixon, of course, had not planned to speak about the IMF. Therefore, when he got up to the podium he was momentarily speechless.

In 1960 Tuck worked for Kennedy during the Nixon/Kennedy race. On the day following Nixon's first televised debate with Kennedy, Tuck hired an elderly woman to approach Nixon as he got off a plane, kiss him on the cheek, and say "That's all right, Mr. Nixon. He beat you last night, but you'll win next time." Nixon was reportedly momentarily at a loss for words.

Tuck also waged an ongoing effort to undermine Nixon's campaign effort. For instance, Tuck would pose as a fire marshall to provide low estimates of the turnout at Nixon's rallies for the media. He would also inform bandleaders at Republican rallies that Nixon's favorite song was "Mack the Knife," so that as Nixon took the stage he would be heralded by lyrics describing a rapacious conman.

hahahaahhah tricky dicky getting trolled

I remember one of my history profs telling us about this back in undergrad. It was pretty hilarious then, and still is now - the guy is one of the original trolls.

Lol, I thought this was going to be about Magneto

Lmfao...incredible. Dude really didn't like Nixon.

so wait, Dick Tuck vs Tricky Dicky??

sounds like he dick tucked in the end, lil bish

Gotta love the persistence of the man. Trolling that advanced takes skills.

trolling before the internet age seemed much more fun

This guy was amazing. Just found a Time article from 1973 about him.

Dick Tuck? Makes me think of Layzie the Savage or whatever

not convinced he is a super villain, but interesting read.

The dude schemed to topple presidents, operated solo and with tactics like deep infiltration. This is literally what villains do in Batman comics.

I wish Al Quaida operated like this guy instead of with cowardly bombs and shit.

The dude schemed to topple presidents, operated solo and with tactics like deep infiltration. This is literally what villains do in Batman comics.

I wish Al Quaida operated like this guy instead of with cowardly bombs and shit.

Political strategist yes

Super villain , no

I don't see a lot of political strategists going in there donning fake identities and disguises. Dude's basically the Riddler without the Riddles.

Back