The Super Six was pretty good

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Established Ward as the great fighter that he was

Exposed Dirrell. I thought it exposed Abraham too a bit

Kessler was one of the favorites and he was never the same after the absurd Ward foul fight. Last glimpse of Jermain Taylor in his prime. Emergence of Froch somewhat as well. Lotta good fights.

It had its moments but it was a mess overall. Half the participants dropped out and Ward got special treatment that was blatantly unfair.

It had its moments but it was a mess overall. Half the participants dropped out and Ward got special treatment that was blatantly unfair.
Oh as an actual tournament it was a mess

But in terms of the best fighting the best it was good imo. Told us a lot about everyone

Only one who got away was Bute who got exposed soon after

Oh as an actual tournament it was a mess

But in terms of the best fighting the best it was good imo. Told us a lot about everyone

Only one who got away was Bute who got exposed soon after
Bute benefited by not being in there, IMO. Not sure how well people recall but he was the boogeyman.

It’s was entertaining in and out of the ring. I’d like to see more of this things that attempt to establish the true pecking order.

It’s was entertaining in and out of the ring. I’d like to see more of this things that attempt to establish the true pecking order.
Tourneys are too problematic for boxing, IMO.

Tourneys are too problematic for boxing, IMO.

Generally true, but it sparked excitement and made for some good match ups. And it’s a creative way to make fights happen, which at the end of the day is problematic

the super 6 got a lot of fights done that would otherwise have been negotiation shitfests

I certainly like the idea behind tournaments, but not so much the execution. It did establish the top two 168 pounders pretty clearly, even looking back on it. Nobody else did what Ward and Froch did. Froch went on to have some very impressive victories after Ward beat him. Would've loved to have seen a rematch.

@Seano your early prediction of Froch to take it all was very impressive, considering he made it to the final. I feel like the consensus at the time was that Arthur Abraham would steamroll everybody.

Its unfair but I especially remember it for what an eternal pussy Dirrell is and ever will be.

The interview afterwards with this assface "I`m hurtin man. I`m hurtin.

Really a pathetic excuse for a fighter. Back then it killed a lot of interest I had in boxing and had to take a break.

I certainly like the idea behind tournaments, but not so much the execution. It did establish the top two 168 pounders pretty clearly, even looking back on it. Nobody else did what Ward and Froch did. Froch went on to have some very impressive victories after Ward beat him. Would've loved to have seen a rematch.

@Seano your early prediction of Froch to take it all was very impressive, considering he made it to the final. I feel like the consensus at the time was that Arthur Abraham would steamroll everybody.
People laughed when I picked Froch. I recall a lot of people being high on Kessler.

Generally true, but it sparked excitement and made for some good match ups. And it’s a creative way to make fights happen, which at the end of the day is problematic

This. Even in a messy turn of events, the fights did actually happen, and quite a few delivered.

Last edited:
the super 6 got a lot of fights done that would otherwise have been negotiation shitfests
Yeah definitely. We were gifted with some classic fights that without the tournament would have taken years of have made and they probably wouldn't all have been made at all.

That Froch/Dirrell fight was embarrassing.

I don't know if the stress got to Dirrell.... but running around the ring, clowning after throwing potshots, complaining to the ref constantly.

Taylor was looking good against Abraham at first.
Made him look pretty one dimensional.
And then that punch that had Taylor 'driving in his sleep'.

I liked the tournament.
But @Seano was right from the get go.... early on on that huge thread we had dedicated to it he was saying the concept would never work.

That Froch/Dirrell fight was embarrassing.

I don't know if the stress got to Dirrell.... but running around the ring, clowning after throwing potshots, complaining to the ref constantly.
Never really got what people saw when they thought Dirrell did so well in that fight.

Froch made it worthwhile for sure. I also remember Ward basically headbutting Kessler to the point it would have looked bad even by MMA standards.

I would say I was most disappointed in Taylor, I really thought he had a good chance to win it all.

Back