The Subtle Skills of Joe Louis:

nice vid..there was a similar one on Marciano as well...turns out the old farts got some skills eh

Yeah he was something. I think his footwork was often a little sloppy, but otherwise he was the perfect fighter.

Really good stuff, I was very interested by Louis's parrys and trapping that seem very rare these days. What would the boxing experts here say about this, is it no longer relevant or has something like the glove-size changed its effectiveness?

pretty awful attempt to legitimize joe louis. that it came from monte cox puts it all into perspective

Monte Cox is arguably the biggest loser ever born. He can levitate, did you know? Truth.

Joe needs to be legitimized? I think this is simply a video to remind the new age why he was so great. Simple as that and it made sense to me.

A question about Joe Louis - in the career DVD sets i've seen he has more fights on DVD than Ray Robinson. Is there any reason for this or was the boxing spotlight shining more on Louis's Era due to World War 2.

Edit** I am not questioning Louis's skills but rather wondering why more Ray Robinson fights haven't been recorded compared to Louis.

He was the heavyweight champion of the world. Duh?

Fair enough, that sounds logical since Heavyweights were more revered than any other weight class. As i am only new to boxing it just seemed weird that one of boxing's most revered fighters ever didn't have as many fights recorded as Louis (also one of boxing's most revered) even though fighting in a more technological age.

Well, you'll be even more horrified to learn that basically nothing of Robinson's days as a welterweight exist on film.

I'm horrified...

None of his WW fights, that sucks...

Boxing in the golden years, only a few fighters were legitimate top ten fighters as of today's heavyweights.

Hahaha, yeah. I seem to recall the Great Monte and his powers of levitation. Hilarious.

Boxing in the golden years, only a few fighters were legitimate top ten fighters as of today's heavyweights.

I disagree. Top 3 maybe, but the heavy division is weak and a Jack Dempsey or Joe Louis would rip right through it until they got up against the giant freaks of nature at the very top.

Back