Social The stupid things Trump said Today thread!

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by MikeMcMann, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Liquid Smoke

Liquid Smoke Great artists steal™

You trying to weasel out now? Concession noted.

2. Fawlty

Fawlty Moving toward your mother

Did he really claim an MBA? I never heard this. I know he has sort of implied it at times.

3. Rational Poster

Rational Poster War Room Messiah Platinum Member

Iirc claims he went to Wharton Business school but he just went to their regular program.

Fawlty likes this.
  4. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Brown Belt

"But a Category 5 is something that -- I don't know that I've ever even heard the term other than I know it's there.”

He has never heard the term Category 5. Really? Even though Maria was a Cat 5 when it hit some islands and slipped to a Cat 4 just before hitting Puerto Rico? They literally talked about Cat 5 Maria on Fox for days. Also, what are the odds that the phrase Cat 5 never came up a single time during his daily briefings as Maria approached Puerto Rico?

Also, there was no reason folks could not keep their doctor. None. They were free to switch to insurance that their doctor accepted or pay cash.

5. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan The Geriatric Motherfucker Yellow Card

So what is your solution to the gun violence problem?

7. TheOldMan

@tonni I provided you with a perfect opportunity for a "rational discussion"......is that what you really seek?

8. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

Wrong thread?

9. TheOldMan

No, read up....above your last post.

10. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

What am I supposed to be reading? Or what are you asking me specifically, do you want me to comment on every post in here?

11. TheOldMan

I asked you what your solution to the gun violence problem is. You referenced Trump not having a solution.

12. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

Oh, no, I wanted to only link the tweet where he congratulates Poland on the 80th anniversary of World War 2. It always posts the tweet above it, but I didn't even watch it.

13. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

Not sure how I missed this post, it's early. I hope I cleared it up. I don't have a solution and I didn't post the tweet for the first video, but for the second about Poland.

I'm truly on the fence with guns, I think there's good arguments to be made for either case. I don't mind guns, but I can see how they can and do facilitate violence and mayhem. People say "guns don't kill people, people kill people", which is technically true but it also misses the point. It's much easier to kill large amounts of people with guns than with knifes, or clubs, or brass knuckles. There's no going around that, that's why having a gun in house is great for self defense.

Gun laws in Belgium are very strict, but I've shot a gun before and we used to have guns before the rules got so rigid. We lived in a farm and let's just say we had our own fireworks on new years eve.

Think of it this way: no guns, no gun crimes. That's just a fact, it's a purposely extreme point to take and I'm not saying the world should have Western European mindset on the issue.

It would be ridiculous imo to ban all guns, especially in the states, but at one point you have to decide how far you want to move up that slider on the "extreme point" scale to save lives. If it saves lives, that is.

I don't think it would folly gun violence altogether, but I think a lot of mass shootings could be prevented with stricter gun laws.

There is a mentality issue (or mental health issue, some say) in the United States that does seem to be a factor in mass shootings, but the fact of the matter is the rest of the world has around the same amount of mentally ill people as the United States, but not the same amount of school shootings or mass shootings.

Imagine giving grenades to people living in a type 2 psych ward. (With type 2, I mean the psychotics. In Belgium, they get put on the second floor in some hospitals.) You can say "well it's not the nades, it's the nutties" which is true but was it a good idea to give them nades, knowing they're delusional and paranoid schizophrenics?

Why do you think Western Europe has close to zero school shootings? We have islamic terror attacks but that's a different debate imo. Unless you believe there is some sort of societal dynamic where if there's too much order, some nutjobs are going to fill up that vacuum with extreme violence in any manner they can. Like some sort of community chaos theory?

14. TheOldMan

Interesting.
    I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that there is a huge mental health problem, crisis even, in the US. The gun violence here is just a symptom of a much larger problem. The drug epidemic here is out of control, like an unimaginable nightmare in some places. Doctors have gotten everyone hooked on pain killers, xanax, clonazapam, anti depressants etc. Throw in the illicits like heroin, coke etc. and yeah it's a recipe for disaster.

Some will say that the drugs are just a mask for the underlying mental health issues. And I say bullshit. When I was growing up we didn't have all of this shit like OCD etc. We had people that were hyper, people that were depressed, some people that needed therapeudic help. But guess what? In all cases people learned to cope and not rely upon a crutch. Now it's to the point of not just relying upon but depending upon.

My personal feelings are that we are to far down the path to just outright ban guns. It'd be a civil war. If we were going to ban them it should have been a long long time ago before it became ingrained into our culture as it has. I don't like that either though because I do believe in the founding fathers vision concerning the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. We need weopons to protect ourselves from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Also, and I know this is so used it's almost cliche at this point but it's 100% true: Criminals can get guns and law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves. I have no desire but if I chose I could drive down to a random street corner right now and have a gun within an hour. It's that easy.
    A good friend of mine managed a gun store for years and has stated that there are an estimated ten times the number of guns unaccounted for than those accounted for. Pretty fucked up when you stop and think about it.
    To answer your question on the lack of mass shootings in your part of the world: tell me about the drugs. Is there a problem there anywhere near what I described in the USA? Do your doctors hand pills out like so much candy?

DragRacer likes this.
  15. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

"Smocking gun"
    "Manning the air"
    "Airports in 1776"

You could go on for days.

16. Prutfis

Prutfis Master of pups

17. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

I think you're only partially right about mental illnesses being more prevalent now. It's both better detected and there is good treatment out there, but it was commercialized on a massive scale almost immediately. This lead to doctors being paid, literally, by pharmaceutical companies to sell their products. Have you read Pharmageddon? It's a great read.

So yes, there is overprescription and it's a planned problem that people get rich of. I just don't agree that there weren't mental issues in the past because, well that's simply not true. The history of psychiatry is pretty well documented, and people who were a bit "odd " were just thrown in the loony bin, women especially.

We have the same problem here, but probably on a lesser scale. We have more regulations when it comes to advertisments about pharmaceuticals but doctors over here also get paid to push certain pills. I'd have to look at the numbers when it comes to Europe vs the USA regarding prescription drugs.

Swoliosis likes this.
  18. TheOldMan

No I'm not saying mental illness is more prevalent per sey, I'm saying that the means of dealing with it are now making the problems worse via addiction. They treat symptoms and not problems.
    And yea, don't get me started on big pharma....I will however check out the book you mention.

I have no doubt it's a planned problem as you say, which will again lead back to big pharma.
    And I wasn't trying to imply that there weren't mental problems in the past, again my point on that is that now the problems get pills thrown at them leading to dependency which in turn just makes the problems worse. At least over here.

And yeah some of the fucked up torture methods used in the past on mental patients are pretty horrific. I know of people that collect that stuff as a hobby. A bit macabre for me.

That's interesting. I know that doctors have come under at least some regulations concerning opioids, but as far as advertising it seems like every other commercial on TV is for drugs of some sort, not painkillers and such, but some pill that just can't be "lived without." The commercials in between the drug ones are usually for alcohol, which in my opinion is another crisis level problem, but that's for another day.

tonni likes this.
  19. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

The advertisments are targetting the doctors, devil's in the details huh?

Strychnine and TheOldMan like this.
  20. Strychnine

Strychnine Steel Belt

Seven minutes and there are some STARK differences of President/Candidate Trump then and now.

It's just Seven minutes and I'd like to know if these are just gaffes or dentures (BTW, President Trump doesn't have dentures.)

tonni, MikeMcMann and HARRISON_3 like this.