The stupid myth of Jones having weak double/single

First reply got it right. Jones has a good double once he gets his arms around you. His stance, his lankiness, and the fact that he likes to strike at a distance means that his shots from the outside are generally telegraphed, giving his opponent time to sprawl or hit him on the way in. So he doesn't use a double leg very often from the outside. He does grab a double leg (and uses it well) when changing levels from the clinch or when his opponent rushes him. But most of his recent opponents have been very reluctant to rush him.

Of note, his telegraphed level changes from the outside are why you saw a lot of spinning elbows earlier in his career. From the outside, he'd stick his hand in the opponent's face, duck low like he was going for a shot, and then come back up with a spinning elbow to the head. It worked because his opponents would immediately set their feet and look to sprawl as he ducked down, and then he'd have a (more or less) stationary target for his spinning elbow. Clever tactic. Since becoming champ, he shoots so infrequently from the outside that he uses the faked TD to spinning elbow rarely from the outside but more often against the cage (where he goes for level-change takedowns more often - makes it harder for the opponent to read).

BTW, I am not a Jones hater, nor do I think Gus has a good chance of beating him.

Certainly not weak.....havent really read that either

I've seen people expressing the sentiment that TS is talking about.

Nope, I don't really think you have. Certainly not enough to warrant a stupid thread dismissing it like it's some widespread opinion.

Back