1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The strategical differences between Fury-Wilder 2 & 3

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by listrahtes, Oct 13, 2021.

1. listrahtes Black Belt

First let me tell you sorry for opening annother thread about this fight. ;)

I was blown away by the action packed fight and the pace they both went at but on the second view I started to wonder why Fury got knocked down twice and in general caught a lot more. It is an interesting topic and imo there is an obvious answer.
    my take on it:

Lets look at Fury in 2: Fury used his reach to lead with a versatile jab changing of rythm, power and angles. Prying jab, power jab, jab to the body.. blocking Wilders sight with the jab. And esp. countering Wilders offense with only a stiff jab and short step in. He did a fantastic job and damaged Wilder without giving him any openings. His footworks main focus was to execute this approach. The straight right would only be used when prepared expertly and then in devastating fashion.

The main focus was using his reach until an opening was present then capitalise on it.

Wilder was a prey without the skill to counter this tactic and I doubt many other HWs would have been able to either. That was a masterclass.

Lets go to the third fight:
    Fury attacks into Wilders reach. From the beginning he went 1-2 clinch with a power straight right that would end him a lot of times in a excellent distance for Wilder to build up his offense.

I guess this was done because Fury wanted the KO by all means and wear Wilder down. Not a bad idea but it made Fury neglect his own reach advantage which he so cleverly used in the second fight. It made for a wild brawl at times.

The main focus was to create the openings himself and instead of countering walking Wilder down with relentless pressure. Thats were his suffocating clinch played a huge part. The straight right got more attention than the jab and as I understand it were the jab was his main weapon in fight 2, here it was more often used to gain power for the 2. The footwork reflected that change in strategy. Its not a wrong strategy , dont get me wrong. It worked very well to a point.

Still in the end I have to say that I do prefer second fight approach. It imo makes the perfect use of Tysons physical advantages, minimizes the risk of damage while frustrating his opponent to no end and still building up a lot of damage and ending with a ko crafted like a painting.

I can relate to why Tyson went with the new strategy. This fight was about making a statement especially after all the conspiracy talk etc. This was about getting that KO no matter what and if by a brutal (still technical) brawl even better. He knew that he could toughen out Wilders best punches.

Would like to write in more detail but well work is waiting. How do you see that? Am I on the wrong track here. This change also reflects Tysons unique ability to adapt different styles. If the Usyk fight materializes at some point I`d say the jab centered approach would give him a higher chance of winning.

When I rewatched and thought about that, I looked up if any other coach talked about this:

Here is Kevin Barry also mentioning it at 18.55min hope the timestamp works (a great guy btw)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Gregoire1 and Jonny Ninja like this.
  2. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

Lol we forgive you! Tbf this is a decent thread, unlike the majority of them these past few days, some of them utterly ridiculous

I personally didn’t see this as much different from the last fight. It was sloppy but I don’t blame either guy for that. That was necessary to neutralise wilders right hand. If fury is boxing, and fighting off the back foot, which he has previously preferred to do, he’d walking a tightrope for 12 rounds, like the first fight. What makes Tyson such a good fighter is his ability to fight in different styles and adapt

3. listrahtes Black Belt

Yep definitely. Dont know any other HW right now who is able to change his style like that.

A.S. Deep and Jonny Ninja like this.
  4. Nova44 Superbon Belt

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  5. Badr Hari Brown Belt

Davison was out of their team after the Wallin fight so I'm not sure you're correct crediting him for Fury's strategy in fight number two. That was SugarHill's strategy. And little to nothing changed in fight number three, other than Fury coming in worse shape and rusty.

RDL81 and Smashus Clay like this.
  6. MoreKane Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yeah Fury was clearly better shape in the 2nd fight where he pitched a shutout. Do you think he was unmotivated a bit for the 3rd fight?

7. Badr Hari Brown Belt

100% the motivation wasn't the same. Plus they've convinced him fat helps him. Maybe even covid leaves its consequences. Maybe the problems with the newborn child reflect too.

8. aries Gold Belt

I thought that Fury didn't look as sharp in this fight as he looked in the 2nd fight. Maybe the stories about his poor preparation were true. He also took some time to adjust to the body jab and straight right that Wilder was employing to good effect. This kept Fury back until he started using his own jab. To me it looked as if the strategy that Fury adopted of backing Wilder up and clinching him were in part to sap Wilders energy and partly to conserve his own. He didn't look ready or able to dance about. I would have liked to see him employ more head movement when he was closing, and being a static target was why he got caught in the 4th.

listrahtes likes this.