The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by "Peerless" Jim Driscoll

lklawson

White Belt
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that I have republished Jim Driscoll's "The Straight Left and How to cultivate it"

As always, the PDF download is free of charge.

Special thanks to life-long collector and Martial Artist, Professor Bruno Cruicchi for making the original available to me for this project.

The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by Jim Driscoll at Lulu

Blurb:
One of the most popular boxers of the early 20th Century, "Peerless" Jim Driscoll wrote multiple books instructing in the sweet science.

With a computed lifetime record of 63-4-6, 39 KO, physical trainer for the British Army in WWI, and internationally regarded for his technical skill, the Featherweight boxer had more than enough experience and skills to write this, somewhat short, book on the Straight Left.

More than just a "jab," Driscoll lays out his case that the Straight Left is a neglected, often misunderstood, workhorse of the skillful boxer. He builds his case from chapter to chapter, culminating with specific instruction on how to train with both live sparring partners, targets, shadow boxing, and footwork drills.

This book is a priceless snapshot of a nearly forgotten style, sure to please modern boxers and martial artists.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I look forward to reading this. Thank you.

There are a few other freebie downloads uplink from there. Help yourself. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

i will def. buy it and support.

i don't have a very big martial art library but this seems like very good stuff.

i come from a Chinese martial art background, this really reminds me of a punch from Xing Yi style... hip punch, vertical lead, a lot of power (power being the focus).

actually the old style English boxing and Chinese boxing have many similarities.

it's just a shame most martial arts from that country has gone to sh1t.

You sir have made my day worth living. 3 books on boxing to read tomorrow, damn i'm going to be one happy son of a bitch.

i will def. buy it and support.

i don't have a very big martial art library but this seems like very good stuff.

i come from a Chinese martial art background, this really reminds me of a punch from Xing Yi style... hip punch, vertical lead, a lot of power (power being the focus).

actually the old style English boxing and Chinese boxing have many similarities.

it's just a shame most martial arts from that country has gone to sh1t.
Yeah, it's sometimes good fun to point out the superficial similarities between pre-Marquis boxing and wing chun to your WC friends and then claim that WC is just ripped off English Boxing. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

You sir have made my day worth living. 3 books on boxing to read tomorrow, damn i'm going to be one happy son of a bitch.
Happy to oblige.

I have some more material to work on. Takes a month or two per book usually.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Just had a quick look through it - some great advice that I will definitely be trying impliment into my boxing game. Especially liked the author's critical look at 'swingers'.

Got to go work the heavy bag.

Wait, are you Kirk Lawson?
If so your stuff looks farking awesome.
So many great books to check out.

Last edited:
Just had a quick look through it - some great advice that I will definitely be trying impliment into my boxing game. Especially liked the author's critical look at 'swingers'.

Got to go work the heavy bag.
Yeah, his advice on simple training is worth the read if nothing else.

Wait, are you Kirk Lawson?
Uh-oh. Yeah, I'm "that" Kirk Lawson. ;)

If so your stuff looks farking awesome.
So many great books to check out.
My pleasure. I enjoy getting positive feedback about the repub projects. Any of them that you feel particularly strong about? I kinda like the really old ones. They're not necessarily "better" but the older the book is, the niftier I think it is to repub it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

For some reason the download link won't work for me.

Are you using chrome? I tried the first time round with chrome and the window just froze up, switched to firefox and after a minute or so it worked. It's a big PDF because of the pictures in it so you might just have to be patient and let it download.

From my (brief) experience it works very well against guys who like to box square-on and throw lots of right hands (orthodox stance) or hook punches. Remember your footwork and keep mobile.

Back