The Story of why i left Riot Games

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by KaNesDeath, Aug 27, 2018.

1. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Black Belt

2. The Clinch

The Clinch Middle-Earth with Glee-Glop and the Floopty-Doos. Platinum Member

May know some folks on the inside and well, it's a pretty big ordeal.

3. cmw43

cmw43 Bad Boys Club

I need a bit more info to go on here, whats Riot Games?

Lazy thread.

90 50 likes this.
  4. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

So the guy got his panties in a bunch because someone said "sometimes No doesn't mean No" in regards to recruiting...with an example of how persistence paid off in hiring an employee? All this bullshit and drama over something so silly? People need to quit being a bunch of pussies.

By the way, the definition of rape doesn't have to involve sex...it can mean other things. When someone says their team raped another team it's perfectly fine and doesn't always carry the sexual battery connotations. From Merriam Webster :

2: an outrageous violation
    3: an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force

5. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Black Belt

Was an answer during Q&A and then presented on display as a talking point during their presentation for hiring practices. Which meant it was a premeditated comment.

Im a bit confused that a comments origin discrediting rape allegations being etched into a corporations hiring practices is viewed as "being a bunch of pussies".

Alphafail and ThulsaDooom like this.
  6. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Tencent doesn't give af.

<NoneOfMy>

Jackie Blue likes this.
  7. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Do you not understand subtext? They meant "sometimes no doesn't mean no" in regards to persistence rather than rape. Are you really going to stick your feet in the sand on this silly comment and act like it's a huge deal? Anybody getting their panties in a twist over this is just being absurd and looking for a reason to whine. Sounds straight up like Anita Sarkeesian territory.

8. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Edgelords are just as bad as SJW. I grew up playing video games and using all the types of shit talking involved in gaming culture but it just feels wrong to use the word rape now. Mostly because I started noticing how awkward things got when someone would make a joke using the word 'rape' near women ("wow get raped, damn they got raped etc."). Back when my friends and I would say it more often it'd be online or when it was just us playing video games in a room, but when it started creeping into other social activities/events it just felt really wrong and stupid.

Same with the word ':eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:' . I used to use the word when I was younger, and in a way that equated to basically calling someone a 'bitch' or something similar and not because I dislike gay people. Nowadays I never say it out loud although I do use it sometimes when messaging certain friends (the ones I grew up with and used it the same way I do)

Tank_Kam, Alphafail, Blayt7hh and 2 others like this.
  9. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

Lmao really? What do you think people were laughing about?

10. reveler

reveler Green Belt

cliff's notes:

"blah blah blah virtue signaling"

right on the front page of this forum there is a thread title referencing "master race." call the cops, its a nazi/holocaust joke.

11. rob mafia

rob mafia Brown Belt

yay, another virtue signaling pussy waving a cuck flag so the trigglypuffs know he's such a great and wonderful person.

tl;dr - the guy who left is a big baby.

12. KaNesDeath

KaNesDeath Black Belt

Thats a valid point. Recall even Terry Crews had an issue with that term when he first got into Pc Gaming.

Its acceptance though is a byproduct of being the third generation since WW2 and applying to a non-racial element of computer hardware.

Think it was around 2003 civil rights activist came out asking OS developers to stop using the terms "Master/Slave". An i cant even remember the last time i heard someone refer to such a system setup like that. Term of primary/secondary is used now.

13. Naramie

Naramie Super Bash Brothers

Riot games made a free to play game called League of Legends that was based off a popular Warcraft III mod Defense of the Ancients aka. DOTA. LOL was immensely successful and was the most popular PC game in the late 2000's and early 2010. It was a huge cash cow est. worth of $1.5B which isn't as much now since there's so many mobile developers these days making even more money. But at the time they were the leading money maker in the F2P space. The game is still popular but other games like Fortnite have taken over.

cmw43 likes this.
  14. Phelly2

Phelly2 Purple Belt

I'm okay with this guy deciding to quit because he didn't like the culture. That's every individual's right.

Buuuuuuuut if you're that concerned about such things as "our team got raped because x, y, z", I'm going to suggest that game development might not be the right industry for you.

15. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Riot, Netflix, Hulu, Blizzard...goddamn, that's quite a résumé. Okay, I'll listen...though I may not believe, figuratively speaking.

I got to the third paragraph before I realized I was dealing with a histrionic language fascist:
    Fourth paragraph didn't improve things:
    I've known this person for four paragraphs, and I already despise him.
    Yeah, we call that adaptation. That's how you stop being a victim, and start wielding power. If you cannot find a way to respond that achieves the upper hand in these situations without resorting to the same tactics then you have already conceded that "more mature" tactics are inferior: less effective at asserting control-- weaker.

If you, as a superior, find any language inappropriate, you sit an employee down, and you explain precisely what language is unacceptable in the workplace. Problem solved.

But, oh well, the fact he's a snowflake wooed by the notion of thought crime doesn't mean there might be something more serious going on, so I kept reading.
    [​IMG]

Nope, I hate him even more.

[​IMG]

The above should be required reading in every office of Silicon Valley.

TheWorm, Zer, GoldenAzazel and 5 others like this.
  16. Zazen

Zazen Brown Belt

You're such an idiot. Do you not realize you are that which you hate?

No, he is not a big baby. He is a real man who doesn't need to use horrible language to feel like more of a man. He knows who he is and he has enough confidence to walk away from a company because at the end of the day he values his beliefs more than a job. Clearly, the guy is an intelligent dude to be working for all these companies. Stop being a hater.

This should be a professional workplace where people can come in and share their ideas to make the game as great as possible. Nobody wants to hear this shit all day, this guy just wanted to do his job. I know exactly how he feels because if you play games online this is exactly how guys talk. I guess I can't say I'm surprised considering how many males in the gaming industry and incels.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  17. rob mafia

rob mafia Brown Belt

TRIGGLYPUFF DETECTED.

Hatestorm, TheWorm, what-wut and 3 others like this.
  18. Zazen

Zazen Brown Belt

I don't even know what that means.

19. LTJGE

LTJGE Yellow Belt

Spot the gamergate losers.

20. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

You're in for a treat, but maybe not because you're rightfully being compared to this silly woman.

Jackie Blue likes this.