The Star Trek Thread, V5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy the Destiny books. Mack has a fantastic story going there, and ties Canon perfectly into the books. But it is equally impressive that he really knows how to use the characters right. I even hear Worf talking like Dorn.

I really enjoy the Destiny books. Mack has a fantastic story going there, and ties Canon perfectly into the books. But it is equally impressive that he really knows how to use the characters right. I even hear Worf talking like Dorn.
And will Worf look like this now if he appears in the new show?
worf-haircut.jpg

And will Worf look like this now if he appears in the new show?
worf-haircut.jpg
He's talking about a book.

Question for you, have you watched Discovery yet? I know you watched the first 2 free episodes, and having been complaining about the Klingons since, but I am curious if you ever actually watched the show?

2 and 3 are even better. Making me want to reread it. I want them to put out a audiobook version.
I've been craving some post TNG/DS9 era content. Star Trek online is pretty much all I've been exposed to, and that's just okay, not enough compelling story. What books would you recommend prior to Destiny? I heard that trilogy is amazing, but if it follows something I should also read, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm looking it up now too

He's talking about a book.

Question for you, have you watched Discovery yet? I know you watched the first 2 free episodes, and having been complaining about the Klingons since, but I am curious if you ever actually watched the show?
There is nothing more I need to see. I am not going to pay CBS to watch something I know I do not like.

Watched some Voyager lately.

it's great when they send the doctor 30 000 light years to do something.
Like liberate a ship van Romulans with Andy Dick.
Or cure his designer Dr Zimmerman on Jupiter Station.

Last edited:
There is nothing more I need to see. I am not going to pay CBS to watch something I know I do not like.
I really wish you would. You make comments on the series, without having full knowledge of it. The first 2 episodes were honestly the worst of the season. As a whole, discovery had the strongest first season, of any trek series. It just gets old hearing you bash Discovery, without even watching it.

I've been craving some post TNG/DS9 era content. Star Trek online is pretty much all I've been exposed to, and that's just okay, not enough compelling story. What books would you recommend prior to Destiny? I heard that trilogy is amazing, but if it follows something I should also read, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm looking it up now too
Destiny is really the relaunch of modern trek lit. After reading discovery, I if you want the broad novels that cover multiple ships, I would go with "The Fall" and "Typhon pact" series. After that, you can kinda just read whatever, because they branch off to more specific ships. I also really like the Titian books, because it follows a new ship and crew, but has many familiar characters.

Watched some Voyager lately.

it's great when the send the doctor 30 000 light years to do something.
Like liberate s ship van Romulans with Andy Dick.
Or cure his designer Dr Zimmerman on Jupiter Station.
Yeah the Doctor was a fantastic character. That Prometheus episode was pretty cool.

latest

I really wish you would. You make comments on the series, without having full knowledge of it. The first 2 episodes were honestly the worst of the season. As a whole, discovery had the strongest first season, of any trek series. It just gets old hearing you bash Discovery, without even watching it.

I didn't like it out of the gate, and there are still things that bother me, but I'm enjoying it.

I think you're right about it being the strongest of the first seasons.

I really, really, really like the trippy dimension manipulation things they're doing.

So ... Typhon Pact it is then as the next books for me after the insanely good Destiny trilogy..?!

So ... Typhon Pact it is then as the next books for me after the insanely good Destiny trilogy..?!
Yeah Typhon pact, and The Fall are the next series. The authors behind those books, are pretty much who do all trek books these days. Both series have critical events \, that reshape the quadrant, and have far reaching ramifications, like Destiny. The whole Typhon pact vs Khitomer accords alliance, would make an excellent flash point for a post Nemesis series.

Glad you enjoyed Destiny. I know I have been singing its praises for years, so I am glad more people are discovering it. It would truly make the greatest Trek series ever, if they could pull it off.

Yeah Typhon pact, and The Fall are the next series. The authors behind those books, are pretty much who do all trek books these days. Both series have critical events \, that reshape the quadrant, and have far reaching ramifications, like Destiny. The whole Typhon pact vs Khitomer accords alliance, would make an excellent flash point for a post Nemesis series.

Glad you enjoyed Destiny. I know I have been singing its praises for years, so I am glad more people are discovering it. It would truly make the greatest Trek series ever, if they could pull it off.

Yeah I know you pushed this hard for a while, I actually read all three books in six days now.

@Adamant you really should read the Destiny books if you have not, even in case you're not a reader. It features absolutely everything that I know you love about Star Trek and more. I know Sverre told you this before but he's absolutely right. Awesome technology? Check. Awesome space battles? Double check. Enterprise-E? Check. And there are truly awesome storylines, sense of wonder, exploration, different crews and timeframes. It's really the real deal.

Yeah I know you pushed this hard for a while, I actually read all three books in six days now.

@Adamant you really should read the Destiny books if you have not, even in case you're not a reader. It features absolutely everything that I know you love about Star Trek and more. I know Sverre told you this before but he's absolutely right. Awesome technology? Check. Awesome space battles? Double check. Enterprise-E? Check. And there are truly awesome storylines, sense of wonder, exploration, different crews and timeframes. It's really the real deal.

I actually bought all three of them like a year or so ago when Sverre first told me about them. They've just been sitting on my shelf because I've been focused on other things, but I'll definitely pull them out and start reading them here pretty soon. I'll probably kick myself for waiting so long.

OK, I haven't watched this yet, it just popped up in my feed.

Going to post it here anyways, hopefully it's interesting.

Edit - Holy crap this is negative.

Last edited:

Been posted already, source is proven garbage.

The Midnight edge, is well known in trek for posting total click bait videos. He makes grand claims and predictions, and claims to have hollywood insider info, yet is always wrong. I'd steer clear of his videos if you want real info.

For anyone else interested in reading the Destiny Trilogy, it is on sale for $2.99 for all 3 books, until the end of the month, on amazon.

You should check out David Mack's new series, The Midnight Front. It's Adult Harry Potter, meets James Bond, meets Band of Brothers. Think ww2, but each side also had a secret squad of wizards trying to influence the war.

For anyone else interested in reading the Destiny Trilogy, it is on sale for $2.99 for all 3 books, until the end of the month, on amazon.

You should check out David Mack's new series, The Midnight Front. It's Adult Harry Potter, meets James Bond, meets Band of Brothers. Think ww2, but each side also had a secret squad of wizards trying to influence the war.

That's an insane bargain. I paid 15 Euros for the e-book version and thought it was a very fair price.

Don't hesitatee, folks, even if you are not gonna read it now.

Regarding The Midnight Front: sounds interesting, but I got started with Typhon Pact 1 yesterday, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back