The Stanford Prison Experiment

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Steve-French, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Steve-French

Steve-French What A Rush!!!

I watched this movie last night and I found it rather interesting. It's based on a true story about (from Wiki) a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted at Stanford University on August 14–20, 1971, by a team of researchers led by psychology professor Philip Zimbardo using college students.

It was funded by the U.S. Office of Naval Research[ and was of interest to both the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps as an investigation into the causes of conflict between military guards and prisoners. The experiment is a classic study on the psychology of imprisonmentand is a topic covered in most introductory psychology textbooks.

The participants adapted to their roles well beyond Zimbardo's expectations, as the guards enforced authoritarian measures and ultimately subjected some of the prisoners to psychological torture. Many of the prisoners passively accepted psychological abuse and, at the request of the guards, readily harassed other prisoners who attempted to prevent it. The experiment even affected Zimbardo himself, who, in his role as the superintendent, permitted the abuse to continue.

2. BuffaloEmperor

BuffaloEmperor Brown Belt

I've read about this and this is a very interesting/fucked up study. The movie looks intense and i think i saw the Trickster from SuperNatural at one point.

3. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

4. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

I thought the movie was very meh. But real life study is very cool and i read though Cheese thread on the subject and it was great and tree branched off with more info on the subject.

Another movie you might want to check out TS is The Experimenter. Its on Netflix and i thought was better than the standford experment

5. Steve-French

Thanks I'll check it out. I really enjoyed the Stanford Experiment though. Some of the reviews I've read said it was slow. I didn't think so, but I do like slow paced psychological dramas.

I seem to be catching these weird ass movies lately. I was going to make a thread about this, but I figured one movie thread was enough for the day. It's called we need to talk about Kevin. It's on Netflix as well.

6. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

This the thread you talking bout? Didin't get enough attention IMO. This shit is deep.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-asch-experiment-social-conformity.3084783/

I am still curios about this subject and how it applies to real life and online. Like if sherdog was to pick a new member at random and a group of 4-5 poster were to just start calling them out on everything that member posted as a troll post(even if it wasn't), would everyone turn on the new member and see them as troll before long.

And agree with The Experimenter. being another good movie to watch. It covers the Stanly Milgram study

And that shit still blows my mind on what people will do just to please the people in charge.

Steve-French likes this.
  7. Steve-French

I'm going to watch the experimenter tonight. I'm ignorant on the Stanly Milgram study, but I do find things like this fascinating. It would be cruel, but I wonder how introducing LSD into these study's would go.

Have you ever seen that 1950's LSD study were the doctor examines an artist (on acid) and keeps prying him for information? It's kind of fucked up, but interesting none the less.

8. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

Never seen those studies but fucked up for sure. Getting info from people doesnt really require drugs like that. Ever seen 48hrs( the tv show) police get info out of people all the time just by putting in certian sitution and shit. Like a tiny room, calling in their family, etc...

The Milgram study shows how people are willing to give up personal responablity to aurthory figure to allow themselves to do something "wrong" or something they wouldnt do. And its still holds to be true. A prank caller called a Burger King in CA last week and claimed to be a Fireman and told the employees that there was a gas leak and that they need to break the widows so gas wouldnt fill up the place until they got there. And they did it, just cause the guy appeared to them as someone in charge and they can claim they were just doing what they were told. It sounds silly as hell but it happens on the time. Its something deeply programed in us.

Here is the video of the Burger King Manger driving his car into the building trying to burst a hole in the wall to let out the gas.

LOL. I know it is funny as shit but when you stop laughing, try think about why would this guy do that just becuase he was told do by someone he thought was a authorty figure.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Steve-French likes this.
  9. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

Bump cause i want to hear what you thought of the Experimental TS.

10. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

If you take Pysch 101 at any university, you learn about the Milgram experiment and the Stanford Prison experiment. If the class was actually worth a damn and not just a gut course for student-athletes, you should learn that the Milgram experiment was legit science.

The Stanford Prison experiment, OTOH, was an interesting incident, but is very difficult to call what Zimbardo did "science". It was as much free form improv.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. AWESOMEACE

AWESOMEACE Purple Belt

Cheese, I like you and I in no way intend to insult or give you a hard time. However, I have more than one degree in trying to understand how people think and act, as well as several years of experience directly interacting and applying the studies and theories I have learned, including the ones you have mentioned. This process cannot not be over thought, there are a lot of stupid people in the world. This forum is an anomaly, where people on here are saying one thing, the rest of the population is doing another. Most people do not know how to think for themselves. Matter of fact there will be a lot of people that read this post, that will say, "I do perfectly fine thinking for myself," and would not do something as stupid as that Burger King scenario, but at the same time would probably just meander the scene to determine if what was said was actually true. The best thing to know for yourself, is probably 85 to 90% of the population is not analyzing things the way you are way and will continue on in life making dumb decisions without realizing they are dumb decisions.

Cheese likes this.
  12. Fight To Win

Fight To Win Red Belt

There's a movie starring Adrien Brody and Forrest Whittaker from 2010 that was based on that experiment as well, called The Experiment. It was pretty good too. I recommend it.

Cheese likes this.
  13. AGGAMEMNON66

AGGAMEMNON66 ———Villain———

Go dig thru OT threads of the last few years..

Cheese likes this.