The standup/clinch mentality in ufc reffing has to change

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
standups and clinch breaks should only occur if there is a significant amount of time of no action, and after each separation the break can be slightly faster. There should be ample warning for each fighter.

This “get out of jail” card is annoying. Breaking up double underhooks is like standing someone up from side control. It makes the result of the fight artificial because in a real fight this wouldnt exist.

There should be a standard on when it is okay to do this

standups and clinch breaks should only occur if there is a significant amount of time of no action, and after each separation the break can be slightly faster. There should be ample warning for each fighter.

This “get out of jail” card is annoying. Breaking up double underhooks is like standing someone up from side control. It makes the result of the fight artificial because in a real fight this wouldnt exist.

They just do that when Dana is trying to fight fix or grant favor to an employee that’s on better terms with corporate.

There were a few break ups in the last card, 228, that I thought were noticeably fast. Dan Miragliotta was the offending ref. Overall I think the refs let them work without letting them stall too much.

I do like your idea that after a stand up or breaking up the clinch, the ref need not let too much time elapse if the fighters tries to stall again and can shorten the length of time before a warning, etc.

It's confusing. And I think most people would say it's fine as it is.
After watching the Woodley-Till fight, I wouldn't say it's fine. Even the commentators were complaining. Those resets when fighters were clinching against the cage were bullshit.

like @IngaVovchanchyn i would suggest that most of the time it's done appropriately.

my guess is you're complaining about outlying examples, after having convinced yourself that those outlying examples are typical.

it's easy to test. can you give me 4 other examples of fast breaks outside the last main event?

After watching the Woodley-Till fight, I wouldn't say it's fine. Even the commentators were complaining. Those resets when fighters were clinching against the cage were bullshit.

I agree that those resets were bad. Doesn't mean there is a problem overall. Everyone noticed it was bad in part because it wa s abnormal.

SC5ZsqY.gif

So yeah mostly it is usually fine. But Mirg definitely was calling it too early and was not letting Tyron work. Possible he was paid off to do that. Does seem shady. But Dan Mirg is one of the more retarded refs.

there was an agenda in the woodley fight. that was one of the worst cases of breaks ive ever seen.

no doubt in my mind.

I wouldn’t mind them using Yellow cards for egregious stalling. Refs should get them for bullshit too...
Rampage_Yellow_Card_Ref1.gif

While I agree, this is about money.
People do not like to see a stalled fight.

But IMHO the fights starts standing. After that, it should continue where it stopped. So if a round ends with someone on side control, the fight should resume there. That would be the most fair IMHO.

Woodley and Till we're stalled out doing nothing for over a minute.

I agree with those separations.

I agree that those resets were bad. Doesn't mean there is a problem overall. Everyone noticed it was bad in part because it wa s abnormal.

there was an agenda in the woodley fight. that was one of the worst cases of breaks ive ever seen.

no doubt in my mind.

Woodley and Till we're stalled out doing nothing for over a minute.

I agree with those separations.

this is great. we have a) it was quick, but shrug, b) it was quick and that proves crookedness, and c) it wasn't quick.

a well balanced populace.

I don't think Dan was paid off...

But i think somebody told him, to make sure....that it won't be a 'repeat' of Woodleys last 2 fights...

Wasn't Dan also the ref in the Belfort Johnson fight?...

Back