The Standford Prison Experiment

Skeptoid did a pretty good criticism of the Stanford Prison Experiment:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4102

Good things to think about.

I'd definitely like to see a rebuttal though. Something about these kinds of experiments makes me want to cheer for their validity lol.

The influence of the situation overcoming personality has an interesting history that I don't think really hinges on this experiment, although it's frequently trotted out as the prime example. I take it to be making more of an existential claim - "this can happen" - as opposed to making a more general point about what usually happens. Which is still frightening for a lot of people.

Saw the Whitaker (he's a big MMA fan, btw) movie. First hour was gripping and I was hooked. Movie went downhill after the comic book nerd didn't get his meds. What threw me off was the doctor kept saying safety was 1st priority yet in the end, people were getting killed/tortured and no one stopped it.

Reading more about the Stanford experiment, it seemed like a liberal bias study. They went over the top with giving the "prisoners" female clothes and blindfolding them.

So are the guards really responsible based on the environment even though they were just taking orders?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back