The spinning elbow late in R4 is what gave Jones the win

Dont get why stinging Gus negates his effective striking through 4+ minutes of the round. I had it scored 10-10 because of the elbow and knee... but knew that score wouldn't happen with the judges.

No idea what fight Chris Lee was watching though.

The elbow was the most significant strike of the fight so I guess it's appropriate if that's what won it for him. Which I agree that it did. Gus wasn't the same after it.

It was a ballsy, bad ass move. Jones had to pull deep, and he proved he can.

I was kinda surprised Gus didn't back away after he threw his punch combo and figure Jones was going to throw that. He kind of just stood there when it happened. He was totally fatigued.

agreed. if jones doesnt land that elbow he likely loses round 4 and even if the same thing happened in round 5 gus would have taken the decision. if gus didnt take that pounding in the 4th he likely would have done a lot better in the 5th, especially considering his confidence would have been up, he would be less worn out from the beating, and jones would be feeling less confident and which would have probably let that injury to his leg sink in a bit more

Dont get why stinging Gus negates his effective striking through 4+ minutes of the round. I had it scored 10-10 because of the elbow and knee... but knew that score wouldn't happen with the judges.

No idea what fight Chris Lee was watching though.

Because striking is about knocking out your opponent, and Jones obviously got closer than Gus.

Yeh Gus was winning Round 4 until that moment. If Gus had pulled out Round 4 he would have won the fight no questions asked. However the complete gassing off Gus at the end of round 4 wouldn't have happened if not for Jones constant leg kicks so for me the leg kicks were the decisive factor because without them Gus could have won the fight pretty easily on the scorecards.

It was the most significant strike of the fight, for either fighter. Without it, Gus probably does win a split decision. But that is what great champions do. Very clutch elbow.

It's true, he was losing the round until that strike, then he followed up nicely with some knees and big elbows to steal it. If he hadn't landed that strike Gus would be champ right now.

The odds were -900/+600?? God damn whoever bet on Gus must be in pissed that they were soo close

Because striking is about knocking out your opponent, and Jones obviously got closer than Gus.

You can't infer that. He stung Gus but he also was struck by punches and turned, away, wilted, retreated. I'm not saying Jones' strikes weren't quality. Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying the argument you made is as faulty as when people say "Look at ___ face! It's more bruised and cut! Thus he was hurt more."

Obviously there is some trouble with the system as a whole. How are we supposed to quantify strikes that "20 strikes that dont SEEM to hurt the opponent" vs "2 strikes that do?" That's why a knockdown is important to me.

A fight can change course in an instant. If Jones had knocked out Gustafsson with the elbow or finished with a flurry once he had him hurt there would have been no Round 5 so we should consider all possibilities when dealing with "What If" scenarios. The fight was close and tough. Gustafsson showed excellent Boxing technique and movement as well as a greatly improved takedown defense. Jones as usual was very versatile. Mixing up his strikes allows him to be unpredictable which creates openings for those flashy moves. You just don't know when a spinning elbow is coming because he's throwing all kinds of kicks and punches at you.

I'd love to see a rematch. Maybe we see another grueling war or maybe someone makes adjustments and wins by stoppage this time around. Gustafsson's stock definitely went up after this fight and Jones has a new rival which is wonderful. I like to see champions receive decent competition in their division.

Agreed, that combo won the fight for him.

Amazing how he got strenght to throw all that stuff and Gustafsson had heart to handle it.

Wonderful fight.

Back