International The Space, Science, Technology thread: America back in space

Pretty neat that you not only have all the current knowledge on science and technology but even all future knowledge on science and technology for the next 2 million years.

Not hard to figure things out if you have even basic knowledge of modern science and astronomy. And unless you figure out how to send signals faster than SOL, he ain't that far off.

Even a signal from the nearest stars would be difficult to pick out if we weren't sure when and where to look for them. Catching random signals in the mess we study is finding a fifth of a needle in a field of haystacks.

Not hard to figure things out if you have even basic knowledge of modern science and astronomy. And unless you figure out how to send signals faster than SOL, he ain't that far off.

Even a signal from the nearest stars would be difficult to pick out if we weren't sure when and where to look for them. Catching random signals in the mess we study is finding a fifth of a needle in a field of haystacks.
No I totally agree. We’re maxed out on inventions. There will never be any further developments in the present or future. We’ve hit peak when it comes to science and space. It just makes sense.

I don't get this whole premise that 40'000 satellites will ruin astronomers access to the night sky.

The caveat being from earth. I'd rather give 3 billion people access to the entirety of earths cumulative intellectual knowledge and potentially set our astronomy back a decade or so until we begin building telescopes in space or on the moon.

In the meantime we'll elevate the majority of earths population out of the dark ages, break ideological stigmata, and bare course for a truly evolved humanity.

Personally my only concern is the incoming warm period humanity will face, along with the challenges of mass migration north and south.

If all goes according to my projections America and Russia will control the arctic circle in the next 40 years but it shouldn't matter at that point.

No I totally agree. We’re maxed out on inventions. There will never be any further developments in the present or future. We’ve hit peak when it comes to science and space. It just makes sense.
<{fry}>

How well versed are you in relativity and quantum mechanics? Certainly some discovery or invention can lead to a paradigm shift but intergalactic travel for the human species is a very far off proposition.

<{fry}>

How well versed are you in relativity and quantum mechanics? Certainly some discovery or invention can lead to a paradigm shift but intergalactic travel for the human species is a very far off proposition.
People always say it cant be done until people do it. I know mankind has only scraped the surface of discoveries. I highly doubt all the knowledge in the public eye is as far as humans have discovered as a whole.

You're talking about time/space travel with the knowledge of a caveman. Of course you're gonna say it's impossible. Very humble of you. lol.

We are far from being maxed out on our scientific knowledge. However, there are hard limits on what we can do. FTL travel, for instance, is a work of pure fiction and will remain so unless we hit a honeypot of scientific discovery. And as such, communication via FTL methods is in the same boat.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic about it all, but in the end you have to be open to that simple fact we may not ever contact another species. Humanity is on it's own, and this solar system will likely be our home for a long, long, long time.

We are far from being maxed out on our scientific knowledge. However, there are hard limits on what we can do. FTL travel, for instance, is a work of pure fiction and will remain so unless we hit a honeypot of scientific discovery. And as such, communication via FTL methods is in the same boat.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic about it all, but in the end you have to be open to that simple fact we may not ever contact another species. Humanity is on it's own, and this solar system will likely be our home for a long, long, long time.
For some reason I have doubts that sherdog has the credentials to make that bold of an assumption. Even with the combined knowledge on relativity and quantum mechanics.

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

People always say it cant be done until people do it. I know mankind has only scraped the surface of discoveries. I highly doubt all the knowledge in the public eye is as far as humans have discovered as a whole.

You're talking about time/space travel with the knowledge of a caveman. Of course you're gonna say it's impossible. Very humble of you. lol.
Nothing is impossible. Technologies like AI or quantum computers can help make a revolutionary discovery. What is the probability though?

It's more realistic to imagine becoming a spacefaring species that takes advantage of our solar system to survive extinction, or even one that can explore the galaxy, than to expect to surmount the barriers to intergalactic travel or ever expect to be able to reach the depths of the observable universe.

Do you have a basic understanding of relativity, quantum mechanics, the standard model? It's easy to flippantly assume we'll eventually advance to the point we can accomplish anything when you can't appreciate the difficulties involved.

Nothing is impossible. Technologies like AI or quantum computers can help make a revolutionary discovery. What is the probability though?

It's more realistic to imagine becoming a spacefaring species that takes advantage of our solar system to survive extinction, or even one that can explore the galaxy, than to expect to surmount the barriers to intergalactic travel or ever expect to be able to reach the depths of the observable universe.

Do you have a basic understanding of relativity, quantum mechanics, the standard model? It's easy to flippantly assume we'll eventually advance to the point we can accomplish anything when you can't appreciate the difficulties involved.
You're making assumptions on future technology using current developments. It's like having smoke signal technology commenting on high frequency radio.

I work in renewables and the advancements have been like a snowball downhill. It's so hard to keep up.

I hear "It's impossible" all the time usually followed by "Wow, you were right, I never knew about that".

One year I worked with salt water batteries that weighed 280 lbs and never thought it possible to have remote off grid with 100% depth of discharge. The next year I was carrying in one hand lithium batteries.

A few years ago we were lighting one room with 100 watts of power, today I can light up an entire house with the same power. Next year it's gonna get better maybe double maybe 10 times.

Like Oumuamua you never know what's gonna float by and what it could bring. Possibilities are infinite.

Also, you just don't know how far people around the globe have gotten with new technology. Don't get me started on Bob Lazar.

I remember a few years ago people would jump down your throat and scream tinfoil hat when you mentioned area 51. Today it's as common knowledge as Epstein didn't killing himself.

I never understood naysayers. Maybe it's an ego thing. I'm not sure. I just find it counter productive. Didn't someone say Imagination is more important than knowledge? seems on point.

You're making assumptions on future technology using current developments. It's like having smoke signal technology commenting on high frequency radio.

I work in renewables and the advancements have been like a snowball downhill. It's so hard to keep up.

I hear "It's impossible" all the time usually followed by "Wow, you were right, I never knew about that".

One year I worked with salt water batteries that weighed 280 lbs and never thought it possible to have remote off grid with 100% depth of discharge. The next year I was carrying in one hand lithium batteries.

A few years ago we were lighting one room with 100 watts of power, today I can light up an entire house with the same power. Next year it's gonna get better maybe double maybe 10 times.

Like Oumuamua you never know what's gonna float by and what it could bring. Possibilities are infinite.

Also, you just don't know how far people around the globe have gotten with new technology. Don't get me started on Bob Lazar.

I remember a few years ago people would jump down your throat and scream tinfoil hat when you mentioned area 51. Today it's as common knowledge as Epstein didn't killing himself.

I never understood naysayers. Maybe it's an ego thing. I'm not sure. I just find it counter productive. Didn't someone say Imagination is more important than knowledge? seems on point.
It's not an ego thing. And since you still haven't claimed to understand the physics behind the difficulties of deep space travel I'm going to presume you don't. Compare it to discovering a way to light up a house just using the power of your thoughts alone. Will it be possible at some point in the future? Maybe. Is it realistic to suggest that cavemen needed fire for light, and now we use electricity, so at some point we'll be able to summon light with our thoughts? No.

It's not an ego thing. And since you still haven't claimed to understand the physics behind the difficulties of deep space travel I'm going to presume you don't. Compare it to discovering a way to light up a house just using the power of your thoughts alone. Will it be possible at some point in the future? Maybe. Is it realistic to suggest that cavemen needed fire for light, and now we use electricity, so at some point we'll be able to summon light with our thoughts? No.
Another agree to disagree. I think you are right on the mark with future capabilities being able to light rooms with their thoughts and electricity will be thought of as old technology like cavemen and fire.

I think there has been a lot of technology that as been discovered and not explored either because of oppression or turned into a weapon or something. Ed Leedskalnin stuff.

<{fry}>

We'll be merged with machines by the end of the 21st century. Machines don't age. So time isn't a barrier to space travel for them/us. That was easy.

I think there has been a lot of technology that as been discovered and not explored either because of oppression or turned into a weapon or something. Ed Leedskalnin stuff.
I think it's more a budget thing. We spent the equivalent of $2 trillion 2020 dollars on the manhattan project in 1945. If we spent that kind of money on breakthrough scientific shit today, it'd get done in no time. Imagine a $2 trillion general AI research project. That would get it done in no time. A perfect example is the original Project Orion. It was meeting and exceeding all its milestones and deadlines. Would have had men on Mars in the early 1970s and into the outer solar system by the early 1980s. We'd have launched manned interstellar missions to the nearest star system by now. And who knows what unforeseen discoveries that kind of research would have led to. Cancelled for budget reasons after the defense/ space budget became controversial around Apollo and during the Vietnam War. Now we couldn't even launch a man into orbit until like 2 years ago.

We'll be merged with machines by the end of the 21st century. Machines don't age. So time isn't a barrier to space travel for them/us. That was easy.
Make room on your mantel to display that Nobel next year. :D

Back