The sound of not tapping to a Straight Ankle

Wristlocks and ankle locks are so hot right now. We got a new black belt fresh from Brazil at my gym a few months ago and he's ALL about the wrist and ankle locks. My wrist is still sore from a wristlock he did to me a month ago.

I was at a NAGA and was up like six points or something with a minute left when my opponent got a straight ankle lock. My coach was yelling "Let that shit break, don't tap, let it break!"

Watching that video, I'm really really glad it didn't break.

I was at a NAGA and was up like six points or something with a minute left when my opponent got a straight ankle lock. My coach was yelling "Let that shit break, don't tap, let it break!"

Watching that video, I'm really really glad it didn't break.

Did you win?

Wristlocks and ankle locks are so hot right now.

images

Leg locks will generally become more popular in BJJ in the future. Of course, certain positions for leg locks are not allowed, and heel hooks are illegal, but the straight ankle and toe hold will be seen all the time.

One of the many reasons I am focusing on guards that don't put me at risk of leg locks (shin to shin, butterfly, x guard and closed guard)

Leg locks will generally become more popular in BJJ in the future. Of course, certain positions for leg locks are not allowed, and heel hooks are illegal, but the straight ankle and toe hold will be seen all the time.

One of the many reasons I am focusing on guards that don't put me at risk of leg locks (shin to shin, butterfly, x guard and closed guard)

It is surprising how many people are responding and relating leg locks to sport BJJ, but then again I have never understood sport BJJ. I consider grappling with submissions a form of self-defense and a prerequisite for MMA.

It is surprising how many people are responding and relating leg locks to sport BJJ, but then again I have never understood sport BJJ. I consider grappling with submissions a form of self-defense and a prerequisite for MMA.

I only do sport BJJ. Leg locks are a fantastic attack, and they can be hard to defend.

Rather than worrying about them when playing guard, I'd like to put myself in a position where they are close to impossible.

Not if they are done right, but most people dont have the right grip.

OOOOF to that video, that shit was looooud. I got my foot DESTROYED by a straight ankle lock (I have the video too) a month ago in Brazil. One second I was thinking "no way he has it" the next second I felt everything in my foot pop, from the top, down the side, to the back behind my ankle. Like 5 or 6 pops. Had to get carried off the mat by the medic after rolling around on the mats in pain.

Cavaca's gym is huuuuge on footlocks so I am slowly learning to defend/how fast they can come on.

I heard Royce on a radio show grappling a guy with one arm tied to him. He got the guy in an ankle lock and it started popping. The guys yells "What was that" Royce say's, My friend that's just air in the joint, no problem." NIIICE!!!

Wristlocks and ankle locks are so hot right now. We got a new black belt fresh from Brazil at my gym a few months ago and he's ALL about the wrist and ankle locks. My wrist is still sore from a wristlock he did to me a month ago.

Hey bro are Wristlocks allowed in competition? I'm guessing if they are it would be Bluebelt or purple and above??? I never even think to worry about a wrist lock, it's back to the drawing bored for me...:icon_sad:

I heard Royce on a radio show grappling a guy with one arm tied to him. He got the guy in an ankle lock and it started popping. The guys yells "What was that" Royce say's, My friend that's just air in the joint, no problem." NIIICE!!!

I can't edit my post but Royce had his arm tied behind his back not the other guy.

Man I hate dubs...

Did you win?

Yep, by four points. The guy got two points for the attempt because of NAGA's rules.

I limped like crazy the rest of the day, but it didn't affect any later matches.

I only do sport BJJ. Leg locks are a fantastic attack, and they can be hard to defend.

Rather than worrying about them when playing guard, I'd like to put myself in a position where they are close to impossible.

I think everyone should follow this advice starting at white belt.

Back