The sound of not tapping to a Straight Ankle

Dang dude nice job. The last part of the 2nd video didn't load for me, but it looked good. Who won?

Straight ankle lock sprained my MCL before I even had time to tap. No idea why people say not to tap to it.

The straight BJJ ankle lock that most people are used to seeing has a big gap between pain and injury, though I have found an interesting video of Reilly Bodycomb demonstrating his ankle lock and how he says "makes it more of a submission than a pain move"

Basically you're gripping it like a guillotine and doing a toehold with your armpit so it twists the leg/foot. In BJJ youre taught (or atleast I was) to look behind you, but he says this forces the hand down from the achillies tendon. So instead he says to bridge your hips. I can see how this might decrease the gap between pain/injury.

Video here:

YouTube - Sambo Ankle Lock

I have an ankle lock passion so excuse my obsession lol.

Not if they are done right, but most people dont have the right grip.

OOOOF to that video, that shit was looooud. I got my foot DESTROYED by a straight ankle lock (I have the video too) a month ago in Brazil. One second I was thinking "no way he has it" the next second I felt everything in my foot pop, from the top, down the side, to the back behind my ankle. Like 5 or 6 pops. Had to get carried off the mat by the medic after rolling around on the mats in pain.

Cavaca's gym is huuuuge on footlocks so I am slowly learning to defend/how fast they can come on.

I met Cavaca last year at Fight Zone in Rio. I sparred with him and said to another gringo that the guy I was sparring against was a cut above most of the black belts there. The gringo said that he should be, hes Cavaca. A super nice guy.

I think Cavaca submitted Roberto Cyborg Abreu with an ankle lock from the 50/50.

I met Cavaca last year at Fight Zone in Rio. I sparred with him and said to another gringo that the guy I was sparring against was a cut above most of the black belts there. The gringo said that he should be, hes Cavaca. A super nice guy.

I think Cavaca submitted Roberto Cyborg Abreu with an ankle lock from the 50/50.

He footlocked him twice at Worlds.

Bas "It's only a pain hold" Rutten :rolleyes:

For someone who started his grappling with a bunch of catch wrestlers, you figure he would have trained with guys that had good enough footlocks to show him otherwise.

The straight BJJ ankle lock that most people are used to seeing has a big gap between pain and injury, though I have found an interesting video of Reilly Bodycomb demonstrating his ankle lock and how he says "makes it more of a submission than a pain move"

Basically you're gripping it like a guillotine and doing a toehold with your armpit so it twists the leg/foot. In BJJ youre taught (or atleast I was) to look behind you, but he says this forces the hand down from the achillies tendon. So instead he says to bridge your hips. I can see how this might decrease the gap between pain/injury.

Video here:

YouTube - Sambo Ankle Lock

the reason you are looking behind you/trying to touch your forehead to the floor is to bridge

A penny for a spool of thread,
A penny for a neeee-dle,
That's the way the money goes...
POP goes the weasel! :icon_chee

Poor you for getting teabagged right to mount. That had to suck.

Still, good on you for not bailing on the ankle lock. Too many guys in my area don't go for the finish because they think they're losing it too soon.

Iminari, Baize, Gokor, and Bodycomb are all good. I am not a fan of the grip Bodycomb uses for his straight ankles. Im sure it works great for him but just doesn't work well for me. For people that are really interested in leg locks check out Joe Baize and Warren Brooks.

David

Dang dude nice job. The last part of the 2nd video didn't load for me, but it looked good. Who won?

Re-uploaded the video of the finals and the weight was 179lb fully street cloths vs 307lb

Yea Cavaca just moved out here to the Armory in Florida. All the black belts LOVE FOOTLOCKS, I honestly can't wait until he starts going over set-ups ect. Prior to the change the gym wasn't to big on below the waist locks.

Damn dude. Between that and that Kimura that jacked your elbow... Man that sucks... Hope nothing got messed up too bad.

Shit happens. Im still walking kinda funny but its not holding me back. Dude put THREE people in the medical area with straight footlocks that day. One in his weight, me in the open weight, and the next guy in the open weight haha.

Yea Cavaca just moved out here to the Armory in Florida. All the black belts LOVE FOOTLOCKS, I honestly can't wait until he starts going over set-ups ect. Prior to the change the gym wasn't to big on below the waist locks.

Baiano would nearly tear my foot off with toeholds or hand off with wristlocks every single day before he moved to Florida. Actually, I still cant fold my wrist down all the way because of him. Its been about 3 months..

Does anyone else use that guard pass. I have been around for several years and this was the first time I had ever seen that.

Baiano would nearly tear my foot off with toeholds or hand off with wristlocks every single day before he moved to Florida. Actually, I still cant fold my wrist down all the way because of him. Its been about 3 months..

I've seen him rape about 3 guys wrists since he's been here. He seems to pull the submission off so smoothly but the victims usually come off the mat hurt. I'm honestly just as careful as can be about tapping .

Back