The Silva - GSP fan rivalry

Aaaay1hotsauce

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Someone asked recently why there are so few people who are fans of both Anderson Silva and GSP. It’s a reasonable question. Both are great fighters, they never fought, not even same division. It would seem to make sense for people to like both. However, so few do. Why is that? Let me explain.

It’s what the fighters represent. Andy was an incredible athlete. He was quick, he was agile, he was fast, he was a naturally gifted athlete. He did things in the ring no one will do following his reign.

Then you have GSP. In terms of PERCEPTION, he was the guy who worked his way to the top. Not particularly gifted, not the A level athlete. A disciplined student of the game who was willing to adapt and change to get the victory.

People who like Anderson tend to be athletes themselves, true competitors. It’s also why they’re willing to forgive his juicing — they understand if you’re not willing to go too far you’ll never go far enough. They understand the will to win at all costs. The thought of tapping to strikes disgusts them.

People who like GSP probably got bullied in high school. They might still be a virgin. They weren’t athletes, they did karate at age 12 to stop the local bully only to get beat up worse in high school. In their defense, they’re more inclined towards beliefs in the value of honor and fairness.

TLDR: Anderson fans are athletes, GSP Fans are nerds

The whole thing reaks of racism.

>GSP fans are nerds

That about sums it up right there.

<{titihmm}>

I think there are more of us than you think.

But it's easier (in an intellectually lazy way) to bucket everything into an either-or, black-or-white, yes-or-no, binary option.

"GSP or SILVA, YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH!"

Yes. Yes, you can.

Guess what else? I watched and enjoyed UFC and PrideFC <Eek2.0>

Thanks for the in-depth explanation. And by explanation I mean your opinion.

So real athletes don't care about cheating, but people who do are nerds?
<36>
I've seen it all now on Sherdog.

silva-gsp-206.jpg

Hespec both, motherfuckers.

@BC

0E1E8478-82C6-46A1-A1FB-742C587E8363.gif

^^^this is the easiest way to send gsp fanboys into full meltdown mode

meanwhile Silva fans are much more secure and don’t get bothered by silly things. They are comfortable knowing that gsp had multiple years to challenge Silva but was more content to fight Dan Hardy or rematch Josh Koscheck instead. <Lmaoo>

GSP-Silva is played out.
It’s all about Tony vs. Khabib In 2020

They're two of the best we've ever seen. Period. Quit fighting and appreciate them both.

With that said, I don't buy your perspective that GSP was not particularly gifted and not an A level athlete. GSP is a freak athlete as far as I can tell. He certainly has the crazy work ethic and mindset, but he's got the elite athleticism as well. That's why he's one of the best ever.

It's mostly GSP haters (and some Silva fans) who are so mad that no fighter is close to GSP's greatness so they take different mantles in order to bash the GOAT.
GSP fans = Real and educated MMA fans such as Me , @Intellidamus , @Kertol , @ThunderStruck etc
GSP Haters/Silva fans = Deluded and biased uneducated shills such as @20falarVerdades , @grimballer , @GrayArea , @TheSpider etc
Its not really comparable to be honest .
GSP > Silva , GSP fanbase > Silva fanbase

I didn’t say didn’t care. I said more willing to FORGIVE. Big difference
Anyways, i thought this might be an objective post and/or a post which appreciates both fighters, just to realize that this thread is another thinly veiled attempt to throw sh*t at Georges St-Pierre and/or his fans with the help of analogies whose logic is very strange to say the least.

Also: pretty sure St-Pierre was naturally gifted as well, just in other areas than Anderson Silva.

They're two of the best we've ever seen. Period. Quit fighting and appreciate them both.

With that said, I don't buy your perspective that GSP was not particularly gifted and not an A level athlete. GSP is a freak athlete from what I've seen. He certainly has crazy the work ethic and mindset, but he's got the elite athleticism as well. That's why he's one of the best ever.
You needed to read more closely. I said it was the PERCEPTION of George. I even capitalized so people wouldn’t think I was saying he was a shit athlete. Of course he was a great athlete. At Anderson’s level in terms of pure athleticism? Probably not.

So real athletes don't care about cheating, but people who do are nerds?
<36>
I've seen it all now on Sherdog.

Don't forget about the nerds taking Karate. It is a key point in TS' impeccable breakdown.

With that said, I don't buy your perspective that GSP was not particularly gifted and not an A level athlete. GSP is a freak athlete from what I've seen. He certainly has crazy the work ethic and mindset, but he's got the elite athleticism as well. That's why he's one of the best ever.
I think there's no problem in discussing who might've been better and stuff like that, but yeah, these hate-threads f*cking suck.

It’s what the fighters represent
GSP represents clean and pure fighting as he was one of the first advocates for stricter drug-testing , A.Silva in the otehr hand represents PED cheating .

GSP is the best athlete we've ever seen and also the most skilled fighter we've ever seen.
Truly the GOAT.

Back