Elections The Senate is Still in Play: Georgia Runoffs and the January Battle for Senate Control

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, it's looking like neither Republican took 50% of the vote in the general election, and there is going to be a runoff in January.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/07/9320...ely-decided-by-fate-of-2-georgia-runoff-races

"All eyes will be on Georgia for the next two months," Emory University political science professor Andra Gillespie said. "There will be record spending, unprecedented campaigning and tons of mudslinging in these races — more than what we're used to seeing."

Currently, Republicans hold a 53-47 majority in the U.S. Senate. With several races undecided, Democrats have gained one new seat in the Senate but would need two more for a 50-50 split. Then, if Joe Biden wins the White House, Kamala Harris as vice president would cast tiebreaking votes in the chamber.

c7e19334-0634-4221-8988-989e5555f4d4.jpg

Ossoff_Perdue.jpg

Now, I'll be the first to admit that this is probably going to be a blowout for Republicans, and they will keep a 52-48 majority after losing only one seat this year. But on the other hand, it's not a foregone conclusion.

Stacey Abrams - the woman who will be remembered by history as most responsible for turning out the Democratic vote in 2020 and taking away Georgia from Trump - is a fucking badass. And she's going to be really busy over the next two months.

Is it possible? I think barely, maybe single digit chance it happens. It could blow away records for special election spending.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ossoff won. The other race should be a lock though.

Still in play?? Why are the democrats not just stealing the senate too???????

Back