The Semi_mandatory First Sparring Session Thread

TacWar

Green Belt
Reaction score
So last night I had my first sparring session since I've actually focused on learning Muay Thai. I've sparred before with friends that had just as little experience as I did, but last night was my first time sparring with someone who knew what was going on. Granted it was light sparring, but hey I'm a grappler trying to learn some Muay THai so I think I deserve a little leeway here. Usually when I practice I am very relaxed and I feel pretty good about my combinations and really focus on technique. However, we start sparring and I feel like I've wasted all the time hitting pads and bags because as I punch I feel like my technique looks like a third grade girl trying to slap someone. I was nervous the entire time trying to think about what I should throw and just kept getting counter-punched. My kicks, what I feel is the weakest part of my game, actually felt how they usually do, but since I'm not used to a live opponent they either were grabbed after landing, when I missed I was bullrushed, or when I missed I took a kick to the leg.

Being a southpaw one of the combinations I feel really comfortable with is a front leg roundhouse followed by a straight left, and a right hook, I tried this twice...both times after landing the leg kick I dropped my lead hand and took a 1-2 square to the face. Towards the end my sparring partner went up against a wall and wanted me to work him against there...but I was out boxed by a person with their back to a wall. We switched positions and I was able to defend fairly well and even landed a left hook circling off the wall, but other then that the only other non-low point (b/c there were no high points) was my clinch work, but really for me that is just grappling with being able to throw some strikes, so I don't think that's anything to be that proud of.

So after my first sparring session I learned that

A. I think way too much when trying to decide when to punch
B. My combinations suck when someone is going to hit me back
C. If I get someone in a corner they can kick my butt
D. I can cover up and wait for a ref to stop a fight pretty well
E. I need to relax (I'm sure this will come the more I spar)
F. Shin to shin contact hurts the next day even if it was light
G. I am amazing at blocking counter-punches with my face

There is probably more to be learned here, but this is mainly what I remember (besides the color black hitting me repeatedly). I will do my best to just update this thread as my sparring continues so that you can all reminisce and remember "shit I was never that bad". Also you can laugh to your friends about another grappler trying to learn the stand-up game and feeling completely awkward while doing so.

Keep at it. It's all a part of the process. You can refer to it as "growing pains". Learn to relax and control the distance with good footwork. Don't try to "bang". Just try to "touch" your opponent and get out of range, then get back in and "touch". Don't try to knockout or even deliver a strong blow, just "touch". Just as in learning grappling, you're gonna get "tapped" over and over. Don't get discouraged. The difference is that in striking, getting "tapped" can be hella painful.

However, we start sparring and I feel like I've wasted all the time hitting pads and bags because as I punch I feel like my technique looks like a third grade girl trying to slap someone. I was nervous the entire time trying to think about what I should throw and just kept getting counter-punched.

Its normal that your technique flys out the window when someone is actually punching you back. Its all psychological. Once you get used to sparring, you will be able to use the techniques you've learned. Hitting pads and bags isn't time wasted.

C. If I get someone in a corner they can kick my butt

There are guys who are good at fighting backwards and against the ropes. But usually the guy who is corned has the disadvantage. In your case, the guy you were sparring could've deliberately let you corner him so he can work on that aspect of his game.

There are guys who are good at fighting backwards and against the ropes. But usually the guy who is corned has the disadvantage. In your case, the guy you were sparring could've deliberately let you corner him so he can work on that aspect of his game.

He walked back against the wall and told me to follow, he wanted to see what I could do both against the wall, and attacking him against the wall... as for the psychological aspect, I never realized how little you see when you are covering up and getting punched... It messes with your mind that is for sure lol.

Don't sweat it man. You should be proud you got in there and banged regardless of the outcome. I've sparred alot and get anxious every time and even though I've got more rounds in I get my ass handed to me too. Just get in there more...it'll get better.

Truthfully what you went through is pretty typical if you are fighting someone with more experience than you. Just keep with and keep practicing on things that you learned and you will progress. I promise that pad work wasn't a waste of time once you become comfortable.

Wow! I'm contemplating trying thai boxing myself, (I have a strong NA kickboxing background as well as Karate) but you just rattled me a bit there.LOL How long had you been training before the sparring session?

peeps should start sparring earlier than they normally are let to do. you really waste a lot of time doing pad works. hitting pads should supplement your sparring, not the other way around. it's a toally different world.

one thing i do and works for me is, i dont try to stick soo tightly to those guidelines. i do what my trainer says because what he says is correct, but at the same time i'm in there experimenting, and once in a while i give myself the luxury of doing things spontainiously, rather than setting things up and trying to relate what i've learned in training to sparring. i look for openings and take advantage of them, rather than saying "hmm let me do a combo."

i guess that's what separates ppl skillwise, and i'm avoiding the elementary stage of thinking and stand-up science.

but you learned and that is what is inportant and being a southpaw as well i aprove of your combo lead leg kick left strait right hook

but you learned and that is what is inportant and being a southpaw as well i aprove of your combo lead leg kick left strait right hook

yeah now if it would only land I would have a semi-decent combo lol.

Back