The Secret to Right Hand Knockout Power!

You want everything to happen in a chain or compounding on top of itself. There can't be a latency between turning your hips and extending the punch.

Accuracy is the secret (IMO) and then technique and then speed.

You want everything to happen in a chain or compounding on top of itself. There can't be a latency between turning your hips and extending the punch.

Yeah true, Its amazing how many punchers throw with little power

I think I remember Steward saying that Hearns wasn’t hitting as hard until he was working with him. And it was something about Tommy wasn’t turning his right hand over properly like Dean is saying. Seems subtle, but it could make a huge difference.
Turning your hips into your cross can make the difference between cracking an egg shell and cracking somebody’s chin. Proper weight transference is the biggest variable in improving punching power.

Cheers Dean, keep the videos coming.

As someone who spent much of his misplaced youth in south Wales, you’ve got the maddest Welsh accent I’ve ever heard! how long have you been in the states for, and do you still come back to the valleys often?

Styles make a difference also. Most pro fighters can hit with a lot of power when sitting on their punches. But a lot of fighters consciously sacrifice power for mobility or even more speed. Ryan Garcia fights like a fencer sometimes just so he can touch you.

Styles make a difference also. Most pro fighters can hit with a lot of power when sitting on their punches. But a lot of fighters consciously sacrifice power for mobility or even more speed. Ryan Garcia fights like a fencer sometimes just so he can touch you.
Agreed. No point in Julian Jackson power if you can't land a punch.

That's it just some boxers are more happy to take the risks...AJ is a good example. when he's trying to box and been a bit of a bottle job not sitting on his punches or taking risks (like against Ruiz and Usyk) his power isn't/wasn't there but when the old AJ who had massive bollocks sat on his punches and took risks he was dropping people for fun and turning Ukrainians into giraffes. So it does somewhat prove styles make a difference.

Turning your hips into your cross can make the difference between cracking an egg shell and cracking somebody’s chin. Proper weight transference is the biggest variable in improving punching power.
Proper is the key word there I trained for a really long time turning my hips too early and punching too late with my cross. I had some thudding power, think Froch, but didn't have concussive type power. Kinda sad but my jab absolutely had more pop than my cross for 90% of the time I was training.

I think I remember Steward saying that Hearns wasn’t hitting as hard until he was working with him. And it was something about Tommy wasn’t turning his right hand over properly like Dean is saying. Seems subtle, but it could make a huge difference.

I heard the same. Hearns would just box without sitting down on his punches. Kind of odd but maybe he learned to box instead of just throwing bombs because of it.

Back