The science of kata

JohnPJones

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i was originally looking for the source study saying kata increases mental capacity in the area of memory(originally saw it reported in an article) when I came across other studies on google scholar.

The ones not related to mental health i’ll post here. If you’re interested in how kata effects mental health check out www.veteranscombatcenter.org as I will occasionally be updating the research/sources page (overhaul to make that page more appealing coming soon.)

Any way here’s an article that study kata in the context of visualization and the benefits.
https://web.a.ebscohost.com/abstrac...e&authtype=crawler&jrnl=20815735&AN=125393506

Kata has its place, but it shouldn't be overemphasized over actual sparring.

i was originally looking for the source study saying kata increases mental capacity in the area of memory(originally saw it reported in an article) when I came across other studies on google scholar.

The ones not related to mental health i’ll post here. If you’re interested in how kata effects mental health check out www.veteranscombatcenter.org as I will occasionally be updating the research/sources page (overhaul to make that page more appealing coming soon.)

Any way here’s an article that study kata in the context of visualization and the benefits.
https://web.a.ebscohost.com/abstract?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=20815735&AN=125393506&h=d76fdqpDm61JQyYWQSk0fmZrvgEwPvAFKwIv/z2RoS/j1iPS7h1OM5ECdUoYZvICII5DPqNjUfvLYI97SEqcmg==&crl=c&resultNs=AdminWebAuth&resultLocal=ErrCrlNotAuth&crlhashurl=login.aspx?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=20815735&AN=125393506

there is no actual science in that article. do you have the full article? Without further details it is as believable as flat earth theory.

there is no actual science in that article. do you have the full article? Without further details it is as believable as flat earth theory.
it's a study that has to be paid for, but that article as you refer to it is a summary of the findings.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but wouldn't any physical activity reduce aggression? Running for instance?

Sounds like a question for google scholar.
Since I’m not a neural scientist.

I know exercise in general helps with depression, anxiety, PTSD, and suicidal thoughts

It's not exactly science. But I have a theory that Kata is an effective way to practice techniques. It's just that modern schools are lacking the context and either teach them because they are supposed to or worse pretend you should actually fight like you do in Kata.

Kata strengthens your muscles as you move from one stance to another. I don't think it was ever intended to encourage fighting from horse stance. But to strengthen those stances as you may move fluidly between them without realizing. Similarly I don't think it was intended for people to chamber their block as that would take too long, but rather chambering is a teaching tool that encourages to utilize your hips.

I don't think kata is any more or less beneficial than any other exercise. But I do believe it exists in martial arts for a reason. Even as an MMA guy I appreciate Kata.

It's not exactly science. But I have a theory that Kata is an effective way to practice techniques. It's just that modern schools are lacking the context and either teach them because they are supposed to or worse pretend you should actually fight like you do in Kata.

Kata strengthens your muscles as you move from one stance to another. I don't think it was ever intended to encourage fighting from horse stance. But to strengthen those stances as you may move fluidly between them without realizing. Similarly I don't think it was intended for people to chamber their block as that would take too long, but rather chambering is a teaching tool that encourages to utilize your hips.

I don't think kata is any more or less beneficial than any other exercise. But I do believe it exists in martial arts for a reason. Even as an MMA guy I appreciate Kata.

This is a popular perspective, but there is definitely more to kata than that--they are a catalog of drills and fighting techniques that really are meant to be applied in self defense. The confusion comes from the fact that so many people teach and demonstrate applications for those movements that are nonsense. If all you are taught is nonsense application, then all the kata is good for is exactly what you describe. If you are taught practical application along with the kata, then the kata becomes a good way to reinforce those applications when you don't have a partner, and provides you with a physical exercise to accompany visualization. From an instructor's perspective, the kata also provide a curriculum--you teach this technique first, and then this builds off of it, and then this is an alternative, etc.

This is a popular perspective, but there is definitely more to kata than that--they are a catalog of drills and fighting techniques that really are meant to be applied in self defense. The confusion comes from the fact that so many people teach and demonstrate applications for those movements that are nonsense. If all you are taught is nonsense application, then all the kata is good for is exactly what you describe. If you are taught practical application along with the kata, then the kata becomes a good way to reinforce those applications when you don't have a partner, and provides you with a physical exercise to accompany visualization. From an instructor's perspective, the kata also provide a curriculum--you teach this technique first, and then this builds off of it, and then this is an alternative, etc.
There is no good application for a high block where you chamber your block low before thrusting it up high. It would never work in any scenario. And if you found one in which it might work in theory I can guarantee there's a better way.

When someone us punching at you they won't wait for you to chamber a block.

There is no good application for a high block where you chamber your block low before thrusting it up high. It would never work in any scenario. And if you found one in which it might work in theory I can guarantee there's a better way.

I think your missing the point of kata

Kata in my understanding is a way to practice fighting techniques and forms, when an uki or partner is not a available for live sparring or drilling..

Kata is like a rehearsal , in a sense..its a way to condition the body, in a controlled manner to react when its under stress with perfect form or near to it

For example when your taught how to jab in boxing or any strike, you should be taught to do it slowly, very slow..and to take note of each movement involved in the strike right?..like turning the hip out, extending the arm, returning the hand back to the guarded postion , pivoting of the feet..well thats essentially a boxing kata..

Now your never going to jab like how you were first taught but drilling it that way over and over again ( practicing your katas) can lead to calling apon those techniques at full speed with perfect form..the same can be said for all kata forms

Just a different perspective.. If that helps you

Also the high block, with a low chamber can be used in situations when your hands are low, perhaps by the waist during an argument which turns violent, the chambering will have already be started and the block excuted on reflex, if practiced enough...if there wasnt a use for it..it wouldn't have been developed

You're correct, if you're trying to use it to block a punch, which would be one of the "nonsense applications" I was referring to in the first place. It sucks for that. The "chamber" of a technique is not just a way to set yourself up for the "real technique," it's a functional component of the technique--if it doesn't do anything, then you're applying it incorrectly. There are no "preparatory positions" in kata.

Bassai-dai's sukui uke is so applicable to teeps. I did that kata so many times I do it in sparring without thinking.

I think your missing the point of kata

Kata in my understanding is a way to practice fighting techniques and forms, when an uki or partner is not a available for live sparring or drilling..

Kata is like a rehearsal , in a sense..its a way to condition the body, in a controlled manner to react when its under stress with perfect form or near to it

For example when your taught how to jab in boxing or any strike, you should be taught to do it slowly, very slow..and to take note of each movement involved in the strike right?..like turning the hip out, extending the arm, returning the hand back to the guarded postion , pivoting of the feet..well thats essentially a boxing kata..

Now your never going to jab like how you were first taught but drilling it that way over and over again ( practicing your katas) can lead to calling apon those techniques at full speed with perfect form..the same can be said for all kata forms

Just a different perspective.. If that helps you

Also the high block, with a low chamber can be used in situations when your hands are low, perhaps by the waist during an argument which turns violent, the chambering will have already be started and the block excuted on reflex, if practiced enough...if there wasnt a use for it..it wouldn't have been developed
That was exactly my point though. In fact I like to compare it to a hook in boxing.

In boxing they often teach newbies to sort of crouch down and chamber the hook. Then you turn your lead foot in while planting your back leg. This teaches you to twist your hips and generate power.

Yet you can throw a hook without chambering.

Most pro boxers don't turn in their lead foot.

Some great boxers use the hook to pivot the back leg to get and angle so they don't plant for power.

These aren't hard fast rules. They are teaching methods.

That's my view on chambering blocks. They are just teaching methods so students can learn to twist their hips and snap their arms with power. This is something that can be done without chambering and is even seen sometimes in boxing.

That was exactly my point though. In fact I like to compare it to a hook in boxing.

In boxing they often teach newbies to sort of crouch down and chamber the hook. Then you turn your lead foot in while planting your back leg. This teaches you to twist your hips and generate power.

Some great boxers use the hook to pivot the back leg to get and angle so they don't plant for power.

That's my view on chambering blocks. They are just teaching methods so students can learn to twist their hips and snap their arms with power. This is something that can be done without chambering and is even seen sometimes in boxing.

I agree , that training solely katas doesnt make you a fighter, or a great martial artist.

It is merely just another tool one can use to sharpen skills, and form good habits.

It can be great for building focus too..concentrating on the movements can help your mental sharpness, and better understand the biomechanics of fighting , such as pivoting or snapping your jab out or block out..theres definite place for kata but i wouldnt say someone is a proficient fighter who has only studied kata ..

i believe the japanese word for chambered hand translates to pulling hand, and the term chambering or chambered indicates the hand is being prepared for a technique (chambering a bullet means you're preparing to shoot it.)

Kata has its place, but it shouldn't be overemphasized over actual sparring.

Agreed if your goal is to compete as a fighter.

If you are just learning self defense though and trying to be healthier then Kata is better than sparring.

CTE is no joke and the more I see fighters and posters on this board talk about the problems they have from taking shots to the head the more I am glad I never got into it.

If you are just learning self defense though and trying to be healthier then Kata is better than sparring.

You're delusional if you think that practicing a kata is somehow preparing you for "self-defense". And if being "healthier" is your goal, there are far more effective and efficient methods for that, starting with lifting weights and running.

Back