Television THE SANDMAN TV Series (Renewed for Season at Netflix, post #192)

A bit of a rocky start, found it's footing, and then fell off a cliff in the finale. The wrap up to the whole Rose Walker saga was so lazy and cringe. I guess it's a problem when dealing with such a mystical story line, that it's hard to stick the landing if you're rushed to do so. It played like you were on page 75 of a book, and then skipped to page 200 to see how it ended. It's all vessels...dream babies...yada, yada, but without proper build up and execution, it's just a bunch of incoherent gobblygook.

I agree with this completely, they could have done with a lot more time for the Vortex story. With only ten episodes I think they could have spent the whole series on Dream reclaiming his tools and introducing characters and explaining the world(s).

I did enjoy the series though, will watch S2. I'm glad I'm able to watch two men snogging without getting a shame boner, that would be really awkward.

I agree with this completely, they could have done with a lot more time for the Vortex story. With only ten episodes I think they could have spent the whole series on Dream reclaiming his tools and introducing characters and explaining the world(s).

Yeah, that would've been the better approach. It could've ended with the diner episode, and Morpheus giving his judgement to the guy who stole his jewel to give an insight into how he thinks, with Rose and The Corinthian still being built up in the background. They tried to do a little too much all at once. The whole "Doll's House" arc could've been it's own season.

A good test for this would be asking people how many characters outside of Morpheus(whom most would just call the Sandman) they can name a day after they watched the series. I bet most would be like "Well there's...Rose and the Corinthian and...and...Rose's brother..."

rewatched the first episode again completely sober and with my phone in the other room

not as 'gay' as I first remember it to be, but still smells of butt sechs

and there is one thing I know well, it's the smell of butt sechs.

I suspect the odor gets stronger as thr show progresses, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Netflix's The Sandman Nearly Doubles Streaming Numbers in Week 2
By CHARLIE RIDGELY - August 16, 2022 04:43 pm EDT

The Sandman has enjoyed a massive couple of weeks on Netflix. The first couple of days on the service were enough to make the acclaimed new series the most-watched show on Netflix in its opening weekend. In its second week, however, The Sandman had a full seven days to put up numbers for Netflix and it nearly managed to double its output from the previous week.

On Tuesday, the weekly Netflix Top 10 rankings were updated by the streaming service, revealing the streaming data for the biggest shows and movies on the platform from the previous week. From August 8th to August 14th, The Sandman was viewed for a whopping 127.5 million hours. The next closest title, Never Have I Ever Season 3, was viewed for 55 million hours.

From August 1st to August 7th, The Sandman was streamed for a total of 69.5 million hours, which is still impressive considering it was only available on the service for three of those days. As The Sandman's run on Netflix continues, it will be interesting to see if it can keep up with its own massive numbers.

"For well over 30 years, my part in Sandman adaptations was just to try and stop bad ones from happening," creator Neil Gaiman said ahead of The Sandman's debut. "And fortunately, I was always successful in this. We got to 2020 and Sandman was the biggest DC comics property that still had not been adapted — it was widely considered one of the jewels in the crown; it was the adult comic that changed everything. This adaptation is the first time that I've been willing to come on board. We've reached a point that really did not exist when the Sandman comics began. Longer format, novelistic television series now have the special effects and budgets to bring this world to life. Technologically, I really think we're in a place right now where we're getting to make Sandman in a way that we could not have dreamed of making even 15 years ago, even 10 years ago. So it's now possible to make Sandman, but not easy. It's really hard. But the resources are there, the people are there, the skill set is there, and the determination is there — and the fact that we now have an entire generation of high-level creative people who have grown up reading Sandman who love it and want to bring it to life with authenticity. The determination everywhere to make this and get it right has been absolutely a breath of fresh air. This is Sandman being made for people who love Sandman, by people who love Sandman, and that is so incredible for me. It's been so special. I feel like I'm on the cusp and I cannot wait until people see this show."

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/the-sandman-netflix-viewership-streaming-top-10-numbers/

This show goes from visually great to looking like some emo band music video

Can someone tell me what is sandman? Is it a scary show? I don’t want to watch anything scary
Not scary at all unless you are scared of Gay people. Almost every character is gay or will turn gay. One episode had everyone in a diner either gay or turn gay, and most of the time the gay relationships are inter racial. You could not get more out of touch with actual demographics. The show is a little slow, but interesting enough. It is a fantasy show with Gods and Demons, and one of the realm masters quest to get his mojo and stuff back after being imprisoned. There are characters you know from other things just picture them as female and gay now.

Diner episode was wild.

<escalate99>
Apparently that episode is where many stopped watching. Too over the top for mainstream. I almost tapped out but hung in there. That episode is hard for straight people, especially the cook story line.

Not scary at all unless you are scared of Gay people. Almost every character is gay or will turn gay. One episode had everyone in a diner either gay or turn gay, and most of the time the gay relationships are inter racial. You could not get more out of touch with actual demographics. The show is a little slow, but interesting enough. It is a fantasy show with Gods and Demons, and one of the realm masters quest to get his mojo and stuff back after being imprisoned. There are characters you know from other things just picture them as female and gay now.
so like How Stella Got Her Groove Back, but gay

Yeah, that would've been the better approach. It could've ended with the diner episode, and Morpheus giving his judgement to the guy who stole his jewel to give an insight into how he thinks, with Rose and The Corinthian still being built up in the background. They tried to do a little too much all at once. The whole "Doll's House" arc could've been it's own season.

A good test for this would be asking people how many characters outside of Morpheus(whom most would just call the Sandman) they can name a day after they watched the series. I bet most would be like "Well there's...Rose and the Corinthian and...and...Rose's brother..."

Diner episode + shrooms was fun, at one point I wasn't even sure what series I was watching.

I gave up midway through ep. 3. The show has got serious pacing issues, but it does at times have that little touch of magic which is so hard to capture, but which is also what can make fantasy great. Unfortunately, the plot is reminiscent of weak rpg game fetch quests ("go and get the three McGuffins to save the world) and the casting erratic: the Constantine character grates and I only like Morpheus when he doesn't speak.

I liked the world and I vaguely remember enjoying the comic back in ice ages. Neil Gaiman has become slightly annoying in recent years, however.

The show is supposed to take place in DC universe (at least the comics do) but probably due to rights issues it doesn't really show it. They couldn't get John Constantine and that chick that was hanging around with Rose was supposed to be
Wonder Woman's daughter.

Absolutely loved the series, despite a few characters being cringingly bad. I can never tell if it’s how they are written or it’s the actors themselves. The Boyd Holbrook (The Corinthian) had some serious Timothy Olyphant vibes in his delivery.

They almost had it with the “I am hope” bit, but didn’t quite hit it.

This show gets base hits here and there but not home runs

Back