1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Television The Sandman - Netflix teaser

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Bacco, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Bacco Gold Belt

They could have gone bit crazier with the hair, but <mma4>

Smokes and Bobby Boulders like this.
  2. Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I'm glad they made this into a series and not a movie. I hope this turns out to do the book justice.

Zookeeper Gabe and Bacco like this.
  3. Bacco Gold Belt

Yeah tv series format naturally fit, movie would have skipped lot of stuff

Movies seems to suck bad when they have too much stuff to show, specially if you consider all they have is the central part of 2 hours with begin and end used as intro and grand finale

Bobby Boulders likes this.
  4. mixmastermo Brown Belt

I tried getting into this series..

I couldn't get over how he had a lover he sent to suffer in hell for thousands of years. He goes to get her says "sorry" and it was like water under the bridge. Couldn't continue after that.

5. tru3f4n Red Belt

yes I'm sure it'll turn out just fine like TWD, The Boys, and Preacher did

6. tru3f4n Red Belt

yeah I don't think you read it right.

Limbo Pete and Bobby Boulders like this.
  7. Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

All have been successful to different degrees. TWD really dropped off in quality. Preacher was super fun, but they didn't get enough time to tell a proper adaptation of the story. I've never seen The Boys (was in prison for a while when this was starting out), but I've heard nothing but good about it and understand it's critical praise. I haven't read the Ennis series either, so it would be hard for me to judge the show as an adaptation.

Sandman will be tricky bc it has so much going on, and is such a beloved book with beloved characters. I am pretty forgiving of adaptations for the most part. Why make something exactly the same? Not very creative to just copy and paste into a different medium.. But a lot of people don't seem to feel this way and I foresee a major shit storm brewing bc there will be changes and, even though they may be potentially brilliant changes, or justifiable changes, or logical and reasonable changes, people don't like change. Especially comic book readers.

Looks good to me so far, from what little we've seen. Netflix's Sweet Tooth series has done Vertigo a lot of justice, so I'd tend to think they will this too, especially bc they have to understand that this is one of the most important comics ever created.

8. Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I urge you to finish the book. I understand fully how a detail of a story can push one away from it, but in this instance I recommend finishing and evaluating what you think of it as a whole. It is such a beautiful tale, and is so layered with details that you need annotations to really understand just how much work Gaiman put into writing this thing. That entire world is just amazing. Almost every spinoff, one shot, whatever, that has come in the wake of the original series ending has also been high quality, top shelf reading.

So...give it a chance, bud. It is universally acclaimed for a reason. The only comic book run that holds a candle to Sandman is Moore's 80's run on Swamp Thing, imo.

9. Ares Black Plutonium Belt

The Boys is fucking awesome.

10. Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I keep hearing that. I've been an Ennis fan for a long, long time, this was just something I never got around to reading, and I was gone while the TV series was catching hype. I've only been for just under 3 months and have had the series recommended by about a dozen different people. So I will definitely get around to it eventually. Losing 2 1/2 years makes it slow going as far as catching up on what you've missed. What makes it harder is wanting to watch and read and listen to things that are current as well, and still wanting to do the same for other older things that I'd missed even before I went away. But I will definitely be getting around to The Boys sooner rather than later, there has just been too much good feedback for me to ignore it.

Zookeeper Gabe and Ares Black like this.
  11. Ares Black Plutonium Belt

Yeah Season 3 is coming out soon. I'm psyched.

12. tru3f4n Red Belt

none of them have been cannon Preacher was garbage from the get go and TWD would've been ok if you never read the comics up until they killed off Carl. As for The Boys they let too much pc fucks screw around with it I really hope Ennis made bank because they completely fuck'd up both of his comics.

phoenixikki and Bobby Boulders like this.
  13. Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I think that with the current PC climate that getting a proper adaptation of anything by Ennis would be almost impossible. He's about as far from PC as any writer we've ever known.

tru3f4n likes this.
  14. Smokes Red Belt

Started listening sandman audio book act 2 this week. I love the audio book too much and already can tell the show will bug me if it changes Anything and they already did in the trailer . The audio books are great.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  15. mixmastermo Brown Belt

No... I did

[​IMG]

and... just a few panels later...

[​IMG]

16. tru3f4n Red Belt

I thought she told him to get fuck'd and chose to stay in hell