the sandbag

sandbag

White Belt
Reaction score
hello. i am new. cheers to all.,
why is the sandbag not a good implement to do your strength training only with it ?

I don't think that's always the case. If you're training for pure max strength development, you will need to include some weight training as this can be more efficient for lifting "max" weights. ie. you will be able to work up to a 400lb deadlift on a bar, but lifting a 400lb sandbag would be another story. But, to develop that level of strength, your body will need to feel the load of 400lbs - thus you would have to train with weights for this purpose at least.

That being said, if one just wanted to "get stronger" there would be no problem in just using a sandbag (or other odd resistance tools).

it's just one tool and most beneficial for conditioning as opposed to strength IMO. It's poorly adjustable, doesn't allow for heavy enough loads for low enough reps to constitute real strength training, and more often than not, your grip will be your limiting factor. Should you train your grip, and continue to use your sandbag as part of a more complete routine? yes. Is it dollar for dollar the most effective training tool you can make? probably (sandbag will set you back 30 bucks and a barbell and weights might cost 150+).

So it's a good tool, it just has some drawbacks. IMO, it's best used with timed drills with a rep goal (50 reps of a certain exercise in 20 minutes, for example). Then when you hit that goal, increase the weight.

Ya, I agree with Urban. After doing my leg exercises, I'll often take my 100 pounder out for a walk/run for distance just to really kick my own ass. To me, it is much more fun to do cardio with something heavy than on a fucking treadmill.

thanks guys

i dropped training with iron almost completely.
barbells are boring.

just wanted to hear some opinions.

cheers

Like the guys stated you need iron to increase your max strength. The sandbag can help you apply your strength on a person (ie. functional strength). Also, great for conditioning.

Wolverine
///

throwing a sandbag builds functional strength for...yes throwing a sandbag, a sandbag is no way similar to MMA, yeh it might help a little but it`ll never substitute grappling training or boxing training, sandbag training is just a strongman thing that somehow found its way into the MMA community coz some company wanted something they could sell at a super marked up price. The fact is that if you train in MMA you need to get used to throwing a person around, a sandbag doesnt try and escape when you try and slam it or try and knee you in the solar plexus when you try a takedown on it.

I don't know what your problem is pie, but nobody said anything about replacing boxing or grappling training with throwing around a sanbag. And long before somebody was selling them, there were methods of making your own for less than 20 bucks.

pie`n`mash said:
throwing a sandbag builds functional strength for...yes throwing a sandbag, a sandbag is no way similar to MMA, yeh it might help a little but it`ll never substitute grappling training or boxing training, sandbag training is just a strongman thing that somehow found its way into the MMA community coz some company wanted something they could sell at a super marked up price. The fact is that if you train in MMA you need to get used to throwing a person around, a sandbag doesnt try and escape when you try and slam it or try and knee you in the solar plexus when you try a takedown on it.
I have been experimenting with sandbags and Urbans right they are not great for streingh but there are grappling drills which can be adapted to it if you throw in some old clothes with the mini-sandbags...yea it doesn't fight back when you suplex it but then again its head doesn't crack open either when training...

After looking at Ross Enamait's site I went to my dad's house and shouldered my old 100 lb. heavy bag for a few minutes basically doing 5 reps each side changing sides every 5 reps for a couple of minutes. I was fucking spent and shouldering a heavy bag is easier because it's a lot stiffer than a sandbag so I can only imagine how hellish it would be shouldering a 100 lb. sandbag.

i dont care.
barbells are boring shit to me.

i rather throw around a 100kg sandbag than a 100kg barbell.

sledgehammer and sandbag. nothing more.

no offense. i like barbell training.
but not for me anymore.

just wanted to know, why some people think that sandbag only is a bad thing.

for me its very, very cool.

take care...

sandbag said:
i dont care.

but not for me anymore.

take care...

To each his own I guess. I don't see anything wrong with training exclusively with a sandbag, if you enjoy it more power to you.

Sandbag only is not a bad thing.

It still gets the job done.

Construction workers dont lift barbells but they have insane functional strength. They do it by lifting all sorts of heavy unconventional shit.

sandbag said:
i dont care.

but not for me anymore.

take care...

I don't think anyone stated that doing sandbags is a bad thing. They just stated that if you want to get max strength that you should lift weights. If you don't care about max strength then that is up to you. No one stated that you will not get stronger from sandbag. You will but you will not get as strong as someone who is doing sandbag and lifting weights.

Wolverine
///

MonkeyonRoids said:
Sandbag only is not a bad thing.

It still gets the job done.

Construction workers dont lift barbells but they have insane functional strength. They do it by lifting all sorts of heavy unconventional shit.

true

but would i think it's always fun to cycle back to the weights at least once in a while (im always lifting) just to test yourself. then you can go back to your sandbags and bodyweight stuff and take advantage of your new bodybuilder strength... lol!

wolverine,
could it be that you double everything what is said already to get your magical 1000 posts ?
:eek:

sandbag said:
wolverine,
could it be that you double everything what is said already to get your magical 1000 posts ?
:eek:

i really hope you're joking, wolvy has been here for years, he has a right to have as many posts as he does, what is annoying is when ppl post whore trying to get a high postcount, like when you see that they joined in 2005 and already have 10,000 posts...with no real content, post constuctivley or don't post, but don't add to the "white belts are stupid" stereotype

pie`n`mash said:

Sorry guy, but I'll try to explain it as best as I can. Mind you I will be paraphrasing what was said by someone much more knowledgable then me (James Smith).

Here's why you train with heavy weights in what may not be a perfectly "sport specific" motion:

Let's take bombing people as an example. True enough that the best way to practice this is to do it on people. I can't fight that. However, you can strengthen the needed muscles more effectively by using barbells, dumbells, ect. Why? Because chances are you won't find a person that weighs 300, 400, 500, whatever to practice with on any given day. Now you might say, "But I would be fighting in my weight class (205 being mine) so why the hell would I care if I can bomb a 300 pound person?" Well the fact is, the higher the weight you practice with, the easier the lower weights are to handle. (And by lower weights I mean the people in your weight class) Even if the motion you train is not a perfect copy of picking someone up and dropping a person. The muscles used in this act are being trained to be much stronger then what you need, and with practice (grappling) you learn to use them in a sport specific ways. Beyond that, it allows you to handle people of your body weight in a much faster manor then if you don't strength train at all.

For example, I have not a lot of grappling under my belt, about 3-4 months, and one of the people I grapple with has been doing it for 2-3 years. Now we weigh about the same (200-205). I powerlift 4 times a week and he never lifts weights. He can easily drop a person in his weight class and has done so on many occasions in fights. He can somewhat manage to get a person who is 260 (Another one I train with), but that is tough for him. I on the other hand, with very little knowledge and horrible technique, have really no problem bombing people who weigh that much. With technique I guarantee you I will be able to do it faster and with less strain then him.

How does this apply to sandbags? Well if your body is used to picking up and slamming a 300 pound sandbag, it will make it that much easier to do so against a 180 pound human. And I guarantee the guy using the sandbag will be more prepaired and less strained then the guy who doesn't. I find the old excuse, "I don't lift weights because they aren't sport specific" as the battle cry of the ignorant at best.

And sorry if I totally kill what James wrote. I'm pretty sure the real version is still at his site.

Excellent post Sean. I always like reinforcement reminders on how/why I lift. I mean I hopefully will always have the drive and health to train and lift but this was a good post similair to what Carnal used to write to reinforce the simplicity and effectiveness of training with good old barbells.

I honestly don't understand why barbells seem to be the default as 'the best' way to gain strength. The most convenient, maybe, but gaining strength can be done in many ways. I also don't like barbell work much. Sandbag, you may want to look into other strongman type training if you don't like barbells. I'm coming from competitive strongman and everyone was always telling me to use barbells. But how are heavy log presses, heavy farmer's walks, and heavy tire flipping not helping me gain strength? I enjoyed it more, so I trained more consistently and with more focus. That's what helped me gain strength.

BC.

Back