the sale of UFC is a bad sign.

The UFC was able to survive the "dark ages" of ppv banned event's, John McCain and others trying to shut it down. The UFC is here to stay.
I agree. The UFC will more than just survive, it will grow beyond what even the Fertitta's envisioned. The new owners are not stupid.

Source for the 3.5? That was an early number thrown around in the sale rumors and even that sounded obscene at the time.

Last i read the were valued at under 2 billion. Wasn't that long ago either. I heard the legalization of MMA in NY would raise it substantially but never read any numbers.

And yeah...they probably needed a few extra investors to make up the difference between 3.5 and 4.1(or is it 4.2). I know most things are relative but that's a shitload of money...plus i don't buy the 3.5 billion value estimate before they started getting those kind of offers like that.

The gettin was good.

I never said the gettin' wasn't good. But they got offered 4 billion. And as we know, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I never said the gettin' wasn't good. But they got offered 4 billion. And as we know, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I don't dispute that. I was just talking about their estimated value before they got the obscene offers. Forbes had them valued at under 2 billion...so to the Fertittas they were getting offered wayyyy above what their value was thought to be. That was what my initial post meant. Kind of like when Donald Sterling all of a sudden got offered a ridiculous 2 billion for the Clippers who before that exact point when Balmer made the offer had been valued nowhere near that. It's how you get deals done when people don't really want/need to sell...or there are other bidders. Overpay. That's what happened. The UFC weren't previously valued anywhere close to what they sold for...but you're right, they're worth that now. Atleast for the Fertittas.

Point being, in response to the OP. The gettin was good and they got an offer they would be stupid to refuse. They didn't have any sense of dread about things they themselves implemented. USADA has been inconvenient at first, but in the future it should only serve to clean up the sport...and the UFC can claim to be leaders in that regard.

You don't sell somehting if you think it is going to grow. you sell it if you think it is going to drop. WIth the USADA scandal, i doubt the fertittas had high hopes for the future.

honestly if ufc keeps going at this rate i doubt it will be around by 2020

Dude, you may consider NEVER investing in anything. Some folks consider a 20% ROI a fantastic win. These guys absolutely killed it...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir...-net-worths-rise-by-1-6-billion/#3b55ce4031f2

IThe new owners are not stupid.

posts-unbelieveable-claim-offers-no-proof-621f67.jpg

I don't dispute that. I was just talking about their estimated value before they got the obscene offers. Forbes had them valued at under 2 billion...so to the Fertittas they were getting offered wayyyy above what their value was thought to be. That was what my initial post meant. Kind of like when Donald Sterling all of a sudden got offered a ridiculous 2 billion for the Clippers who before that exact point when Balmer made the offer had been valued nowhere near that. It's how you get deals done when people don't really want/need to sell...or there are other bidders. Overpay. That's what happened. The UFC weren't previously valued anywhere close to what they sold for...but you're right, they're worth that now. Atleast for the Fertittas.

Point being, in response to the OP. The gettin was good and they got an offer they would be stupid to refuse. They didn't have any sense of dread about things they themselves implemented. USADA has been inconvenient at first, but in the future it should only serve to clean up the sport...and the UFC can claim to be leaders in that regard.

As another poster pointing out, potential growth was factored into the sale price, as an extra incentive to sell. But I agree with what you're saying here.

Yeah I agree. If someone offered me $4 billion for something I paid $2 million for, I'd reject them because I'm stupid as fuck.

You don't sell somehting if you think it is going to grow. you sell it if you think it is going to drop. WIth the USADA scandal, i doubt the fertittas had high hopes for the future.

The Fetittas sold it because they got a ridiculously high price for the company.

If the new owners can afford to drop 4 billion im sure they can invest enough to keep it a profitable asset.

I made this thread before the sale went though or Ufc 200

Prepare to be flamed

There may be many reasons to sell. Maybe you are tired of running it and want to retire.

The UFC brought USADA in themselves. I doubt it is a surprise that with more frequent and more thorough testing there are more positive results.

Or...perhaps the owners had new interests they wanted to move to? They've put a huge amount of time, effort, and money into growing the UFC into what it is now.

You sell for a number of reasons. You sell when you want to focus on other business ventures. You sell when someone is willing to pay more than the future discounted cash flows of the business.

Norman Braman sold the Philadelphia Eagles to Jeffrey Lurie for $185 million back in 1994 (SOURCE)

The Philadelphia Eagles org is now estimated to be worth $1.16 billion (SOURCE)

Don't be a chicken little.

Back