The Ruthless Lawler showed mercy

Lawler is a class act, a warrior, and clearly showed mercy.
He also covered for Diaz after the fight, justifying his "giving up" by saying "the strikes were brutal", etc.
Lawler is one of my top 5 favorite fighters alongside GSP, and still is relevant to the WW division IMO.
I will tune in to watch Lawler any day over Usman or many in WW division.

Maybe Diaz could have won if he didn't roll off the couch and fight. He has pretty high body fat in this. Not sure if he got KO'd in camp but without that he probably isn't making weight.
View attachment 881838
Three months ago he seemed to be in great shape. He signs the contract then stops training.
CQmsW_krjQA

Some notes I'd like to make as a serious endurance athlete running semi-Marathons myself.
1. It's doubtful that 3 months before the fight he was doing triathlons or seriously in shape. Or it was disinformation with pics from longer ago. You don't get out of shape that fast and I doubt he did absolutely nothing for 3 months. I think he was out of shape for a much longer period, and UFC & him hid that fact.
2. High body fat is actually the norm for us endurance Athletes. We don't look like models. We carry more fat than bodybuilders because we need those reserves.
3. Overall he looked like he wasn't "strength & conditioned" for over 6 months, and jumped back into a quick camp for this fight. That's the most likely scenario. It's also why all of the sudden he couldn't make welterweight. You don't go from doing serious cardio & triathlons (believe me, you are a machine doing that, I'd say a triathlon is more difficult than a UFC fight in terms of cardio), and then not making weight.

Being a fan of both fighters for the sake of Nick hopefully that was the last we’ve seen of him in the octagon, he was to old and slow and just looked like a former shell of himself. We don’t need anymore CTE damage then he already has

I felt Lawler held back a little for the purposes of entertainment. That’s what I thought during the fight while they were exchanging. Lawler seem like he was playing Nicks style for a little bit, exchanging light measuring shots when he clearly had opportunities to go for bigger shots. He landed hard shots on Nick before he decided to play Nick’s style.

Props to Diaz though because he looked fucking good out there. Very fluid hands and you can tell Lawler even though wasn’t hurt bad by Diaz really HAD to respect him.

Robbie deserves a lot more praise and all the respect for not

#1 making a big stink about Diaz not making welterweight

#2 last min changes to the new agreed upon weight change

#3 he carried Nick throughout the first round it looked like he could've finished him but sat in the pocket with Diaz letting him throw a few combos off to keep the fight entertaining

#4 Robbie could have easily added Nick to his highlight reel and ended the night badly in the 4th after he clipped him with that hook and then the uppercut... We all know classic Ruthless would have just pounced on him with a heavy H Bomb to the dome, but Robbie is a class act and he showed mercy to Nick by stepping back and away giving Nick the chance to get back up.

#5 Even after the fight Robbie doesn’t trash talk Nick and just says “it just wasn’t his night” and when asked about why he feels Nick didn’t make welterweight he just nods and changes the subject. Your a true class act and a Legend Robbie

Robbie is all class and you are spot on with all points except #3 - I don't think it is true that Robbie carried Nick. The fight was competitive until Nick couldn't keep up anymore.

Robbie is a pros pro and way more "209" than nick ever was

Back